Confusing riddle

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 01:19 pm
A woman and her husband hosted a party for four other couples. The hostess asked everyone to shake hands and introduce themselves to each other. Of course, no one shook hands with his or her own spouse. At some point, the hostess stopped them and asked each person how many hands he or she had shaken. Each person gave a different response. What was the response of her husband? Explain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,075 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:08 pm
Whilst we are all pleased to help solve an individual puzzle, but when it comes to cheating on:

Physics 3333 / CFB 3333 Homework 3
Hand in the assignment on paper, send it to
pseudo @ physics.smu.edu

That is another matter entirely, especially as these are bonus questions!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:52 pm
There were 10 people at the party
No one shook hands with their own spouse
All the responses were different when the hostess asked how many each had shaken hands with.

The most a person could have shaken hands with is 8
Assuming the hostess didn't answer her own question there were 9 answers. That means if all the answers were different they were 0-8.

Assume the hostess shook hands as well but didn't answer the question. That mean 10 people shook hands but only 9 different answers. The hostess could not have a different answer from the other 9. She must have the same answer as one of them which must be her husband.

A simple grid will give you the answer for her husband if you remember that spouses did not shake each others hand.
0 Replies