do hawks really prey on adult domestic cats? Tired of this!

Satchmo650

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 05:07 pm
@cateyes221981,
I'll tell you that I don't know what this Cooper's Hawk's intentions were, but I personally saw this bird go after my cat. I'm with you on the thought that the cat would have caused it more damage then it's efforts were worth but none the less. It dove down after the cat and almost hit my wife in the process. I think it was a young bird and was just practicing. it was pretty awesome to see, and funny to see it scare the hell out of my cat.
0 Replies

birdgirl

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 03:17 am
I know this has been left alone for a while but I just came across this and my goodness HAD to say something. I rehab hawks, owls, eagles, etc. and this is one of the most ridiculous discussions I have ever read. As some of you have pointed out, these are wild animals, wild predatory animals at that. A wild animal with the hunting instinct these birds have can be unpredictable in desperate times. That being said, with more and more people feeling convinced that their dogs and whomever else have been carried off by a Red Tailed Hawk is absurd. A RTH DOES weigh about 2-3 lbs, and it can not carry its body weight. A RTH would rather find a small mouse or a small bird than risk attacking something far greater than itself, with weaponry, and becoming injured. Thats just common sense. In the event that it did attack something larger than a rat or a rabbit (which male RTHs typically cant even carry off a full grown rabbit, FYI if that gives you all a point of reference here..) then they would eat some on the spot and move on. HOWEVER, a Great Horned Owl does NOT weigh 2-3 lbs, they are far heavier and can carry 3x their body weight. They weigh on average 5-6 lbs, the more aggressive female lot being on the heavier side. So these birds can CARRY 15-18 lb creatures. That does not mean kill. They could, same scenario, kill something larger than they could carry and eat it on the spot. Also same scenario, why would they want to do that? These birds never want to be on the ground for any length of time, it is dangerous for them. Cars, cats, raccoons (yes, very aggressive little buggers), etc. can really hurt them and they would prefer to carry their food off to a safe high place where they can dine in peace.

Now, all this being said.. these are facts I know off the top of my head because I see them everyday but these are also facts that are on wikipedia. If you have inquiries about how much these birds can carry, their diets, or their typical behavior, rather than coming to a random forum and asking people who probably don't have any education or experience on the subject, google it.

My qualms lie here in the stereotypes that these birds get in certain demographics... people like to think of them like they falsify the personality of pitbulls. It is extremely frustrating. If you all have tiny cats and bichons I suppose you all may be very afraid of the almighty ever violent blood thirsty pitbull, which is ridiculous. When I read SO many comments that are not true, simply NOT true, it makes me sad for the animals reputations as well as the people across the country who work with any animal with a bad rap. Sorry for the long winded message on a forum that hasn't been replied on for 2 years.

I truly am sorry for all of you who lost your pets for one reason or another, thats terrible and I am sorry for your losses. But in the future, guys come on, just google it.
sylviajeff

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 06:11 pm
I just found my cat. Can someone tell me what would do this kind of injury. She was very dark grey long hair. Wooded area by road. Very back by her tail was a small square torn away. There was no signs of struggle or clump of fir·
Intestines and I think her kidney where hanging out. I saw no bite marks on her· I hate the thought she suffered someone told me bird of prey was likely· We have many red tailed hawks and other birds of prey here· As well as coons· My nieghbour was telling me they has seen her at dusk and another animal ran from the bush close to her· That night a young racoon was found dead close to where she was found·
sylviajeff

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:20 pm
@sylviajeff,
Sorry it was found dead on the road
0 Replies

Digitalphone

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 09:20 pm
@cateyes221981,
Yes. The answer is yes. I found this site today while looking for the hawk that attacked my cat this morning. It took longer to type this than it did for the hawk to overfly my cat and me, turn around and stoop. The shadow was bigger than my 16lb cat. The hawk was either a Red Tailed Hawk or a Red Shouldered Hawk. The hawk peeled off at the last second when I raised both my arms above my head and instantly, I mean instantly the hawk turned 90 degrees away from me and pumped back into the sky. My cat was completely oblivious to the attack - cats evidently have like zero peripheral vision and she didn't see the hawk until AFTER it started to fly away. Sky was clear, sunny and no clouds and about 8:30am, Sep 24, in SE Wisconsin.
I won't tell you how to protect what you value. I will tell you that Today, I got lucky.
JOEKIKER

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:31 am
@ok321go,
sorry about miss Kitty..... yesterday I let out my old blind crippled 3-4 lb chiwawa(I cant spell) 10 minutes later she was gone, her buddy my Yorkie was very nervous, after searching for hours I spotted a hAWK flying around, in the past I found a 10 lb jackrabbit all torn up, throat slashed and just left to rot I guess???? but I dont think a hawk would try to take on a healthy cat but if necessary they are killing machines, claws that will rip to the bone, and the wing span is around 4-5 feet, they can and will take a 10 lb critter into the air and drop it, usually the animal i after the first blow, diving down at 90 mph claws out, the beak would tear a cats head maybe not off but it would take the fight out, and the hawk will pick on the weak and disabled, t his aint their 1st rodeo, its fast though, they kill fast..... hope you find Miss Kitty.... if not the circle of life goes on.....and on A POSSUM DOES NOT EVER KILL, LIKE A VULTURE, THEY CAN ONLY EAT AND DIGEST ROTTED FOOD, THE RANGER RICK IS FULL A POSSUM FECES, CAN YOU PICTURE A POSSUM CHASING A CAT, THEY MOVE SLOWER THAN A TURTLE, A PORKIE-PINE GIVES EM A GOOD RACE, SLOW MOTION.....
0 Replies

JOEKIKER

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:50 am
@cateyes221981,
the hawk some are 3-5 lbs, are coming down at 90 mph, claws extended, beak open like a razor blade, and if that fat cat, hey most domestic cats are over-weight, out of shape, and not a match for this flying deATH MACHINE..... AFTER THE FIRST HIT, THE HAWK TAKES BACK TO , AIR TO SURVEY HIS DAMAGED PREY, HE DOES NOT STAND THERE IN FRONT OF THE ANGRY INJURED CAT TRading blows, he bides his time, if that cat has fight left in him the hawk leaves and checks later, thats probably why I have seen injured creatures and wondered whaT happened..... be happy we dont still have the terridoctals, flying dinosours wing span 70 ft..... they would be feeding us to their ugly babies..... check em out at Big Bend Nat park..... I want to hatch an egg thru DNA cant wait
0 Replies

tovahsez

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 12:06 pm
@peggyboston,
Peggy the link about the cat fence was removed from able2know. Can you email the link to me at [email protected] We have a hawk visiting our property often and I think he is after our cat. Right now I go out with her but sometimes I don't always want to go out but she does and hate to deprive her, yet don't want her getting killed.
0 Replies

tovahsez

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 12:23 pm
@Digitalphone,
Hi Digitalphone.....last week I was outside with our cat Lulu. I had seen a red shouldered hawk around recently. I was setting my lawn chair down and did a quick survey of the roof. At the corner of theroof I saw the hawk perched. He took off and flew down towards Lulu and I instantly charged at the hawk furiously waving my arms and yelling loudly and he flew across the yard and out of view. He has repeatedly returned to our property as we see him perched on our mailbox, roof, fence and lawn. Now when Lulu wants to go out I go with her.
0 Replies

sweetmarie

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 11:27 pm
@ok321go,
You really should research this and maybe call a wildlife rescue center. They are very helpful. Hawks do pick up cats and small dogs. It happened at the Orange county animal rescue here in Orlando. Raccoons like cat food, but I have never heard of a raccoon killing a cat. Possums are scared and you don't have to worry about them. Either a hawk or owl got your cat if it didn't wonder off on it's own.
sweetmarie

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 11:36 pm
@sweetmarie,
I'm so sorry for your loss...
0 Replies

On Wisconsin

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 10:18 am
For all the skeptics about hawks/owls eating smaller domestics, I have a photo of either a small orange cat or baby red fox hanging from an owls nest in my front lawn. Ma & pa great horned had a baby and it eats a min. of 2 rabbits & several rodents per day. How do we know? It doesn't eat rabbit heads. We have a house cat and dog both under 13lbs. Within 30 seconds of them being let out for potty and fresh air there will be a hawk flying overhead. It can happen anytime, however spring is the worst - for babies are hungry and parents need to provide. On Wisconsin.
Ragman

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 02:30 pm
@On Wisconsin,
You've gotta watch 'em like a hawk, eh?
0 Replies

neal16

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 02:30 am
@HBBIRD1,
if anybody is stupid, it's you. Red tail hawks weigh at the very most 4 pounds. Maybe 4.5 if they are giants. How could a 4 lb bird carry off an 8 pound animal of any kind? Think about it. A coyote yes, a hawk never.
0 Replies

neal16

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 02:44 am
@birdgirl,
I so agree with you. The idea that a small bird could carry away something 3 times it's size is sheer nonsense. Hawks prey primarily on small rodents (mice, rats, voles) that don't weigh more than an average of 1 lb. They also prey on small birds like doves and starlings--not exactly heavy prey. Also snakes and insects. That's it. Nothing larger than the above mentioned. So stop worrying about your cats! Unless you are exposing a small kitten there is nothing to worry about when it comes to hawks, period.
0 Replies

neal16

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 03:09 am
@curtis73,
Try as they may it's whether or not they succeed or leave behind their prey to live, even if injured, another day.
0 Replies

Hourglass

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 06:39 pm
@cateyes221981,
While four pounds doesn't seem like a lot keep in mind that bird bones are hollow. Red tail hawks have been known to eat cats or small dogs its just rare. They prefer the smaller mammals.
0 Replies

catluva42

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:55 am
@cateyes221981,
Well, I don't know if they actually kill cats, but I have witnessed myself birds teasing my cats and swooping down and pecking them. It may be the same case with the hawks......but my cats usually kill the birds. Smile
0 Replies

Mittens

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 04:52 pm
I'm in Alabama , two cats have been taken by some sort of bird because one ended up dropped on to the power lines and another just today was dropped on to the transformer. The poles are metal , she couldn't have climbed up there. I'm thinking red tail hawk because I've seen them.
0 Replies

Shannysue

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 01:07 pm
@peggyboston,
Same exact situation here. I live in BROOKLYN and let my 12 pound domestic tabby enjoy the sun, sitting next to me in the small cement yard. A large black hawk was going from fire escape to telephone pole to rooftop perch, seeking closer and closer vantage point to my cat, it seemed. He was crowing loudly and repeatedly...CAAW CAAAW. My cat was watching him and in a defensive stance. Tail straight out, crouched and low to the ground with head looking right at crow. Made me nervous and did not want to take any chances and found myself here. Thank goodness! My cat is now happily inside on the couch with me. The sun can wait.
0 Replies