Moral dolphins?

echi

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 07:21 pm
I doubt the dolphins are judging us, hideous killers that they are.
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 02:37 pm
I think that these decisions we call "moral" decisions, that word "moral", had confused us as to what essentially they are, which is just decisions. Its with that title that we have taken this list of choices, and given them some sort of higher status, and thus we have made it seem as if we the human race are the only ones capable of these moral decisions.

In making them "moral", we have made them, incorrectly, a distinctly human attribute, which is clearly not the case. Animals show similar behavior, which shows that this thing we call "morality", is nothing more than part of our biological makeup.

Morality, or these types of decisions, I believe have a purely biological basis.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 11:19 am
Biological Altruism is well recognized, and in some cases altruism can be interpreted as 'morality.' This is a basic tenet of game theory. Moreover, altruism can aid in the perpetuation of an individual gene pool as exemplified by the all too common human rationalization "My brother and me against my cousin. My cousin and me against my village. My village and me against the world."

Rap
0 Replies