Mortgage victims: Pets Abandoned by Owners After Foreclosure

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 07:14 am
I am horrified when I hear about what has happened to the animals, but if you think about it, this result of the mortgage crisis could have been foreseeable.

The people who bought these homes were "on the edge". They really did not think through what would happen if their ARM shot up, and were living from day to day. These folks are not the planners, the ones who think through what they are doing, but simply react to a whim. They wanted a house that they could not afford, and they wanted pets that cost money to keep properly, whether they were in a position to be proper pet owners or not.

When the **** hit the fan, not being planners, they simply walked away, leaving the animals to starve.

I know that I am painting with a broad brush, but I think that you will find a similar scenario amongst many of the people whose houses were foreclosed.

I knew of a woman in my family who did not have a pot, had a second mortgage on her house, which was falling apart for lack of repair. She also had two St. Bernards, which probably cost almost as much as a person to feed!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 07:38 am
We are looking for a home right now and our realtor said they leave animals everywhere. In closets, basements, out in the backyard...it's horrible.

We are going to get another dog when we get our house and we are going to the shelter. I refuse to buy another dog ever again.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:47 am
Bella Dea wrote:
We are looking for a home right now and our realtor said they leave animals everywhere. In closets, basements, out in the backyard...it's horrible.

We are going to get another dog when we get our house and we are going to the shelter. I refuse to buy another dog ever again.

Bella, be careful about considering such a house. Many of these people leave outdoor pets behind and you end up with feral cats crying for food on the front porch or trying to live in the garage. The other thing to consider is that all that pet hair and dirt might trigger allergies in your daughter. The soil in the backyard is probably contaminated with pet poop and thus things like tape worm. You could never let the baby run around on the grass with bare feet. The last thing to consider is the stink - it's impossible to get the smell of pet urine out of wood floors. Even if you throw out all the carpeting and repaint the smell can linger for years and years.
0 Replies