Mortgage victims: Pets Abandoned by Owners After Foreclosure

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 09:40 am
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/IndustryInfo/story?id=4211173

Pets Abandoned by Owners After Foreclosure
Animals Are the Newest Mortgage Victims as Owners Leave Pets Behind
By EVELYN NIEVES
Associated Press Writer
Jan. 30, 2008

STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) -- The house was ravaged -- its floors ripped, walls busted and lights smashed by owners who trashed their home before a bank foreclosed on it. Hidden in the wreckage was an abandoned member of the family: a starving pit bull.

The dog found by workers was too far gone to save -- another example of how pets are becoming the newest victims of the nation's mortgage crisis as homeowners leave animals behind when they can no longer afford their property.

Pets "are getting dumped all over," said Traci Jennings, president of the Humane Society of Stanislaus County in northern California. "Farmers are finding dogs dumped on their grazing grounds, while house cats are showing up in wild cat colonies."

In one such colony in Modesto, two obviously tame cats watched alone from a distance as a group of feral cats devoured a pile of dry food Jennings offered.

"These are obviously abandoned cats," Jennings said. "They're not afraid of people, and they stay away from the feral cats because they're ostracized by them."

The abandoned pets are overwhelming animal shelters and drawing fury from bloggers, especially as photos of emaciated animals circulate on the Internet.

The first people to enter an abandoned house, such as property inspectors and real estate brokers, have discovered dogs tied to trees in backyards, cats in garages, and turtles, rabbits and lizards in children's bedrooms.

No one keeps track of the numbers of abandoned pets, but anecdotal evidence suggests that forsaken animals are becoming a problem wherever foreclosures are climbing. Stockton and Modesto have some of the nation's highest foreclosure rates.

Despite months of warning before a foreclosure, many desperate homeowners run out the clock hoping to forestall an eviction. Then they panic, particularly if they are moving to a home where pets are not permitted.

The situation has become so widespread that the Humane Society urged home owners faced with foreclosure to take their animals to a shelter.

Shelters are trying to keep up, but the spike in abandoned pets comes at a time when fewer people are adopting animals. Home sales are plunging to their lowest level in decades, and new homeowners are often the most likely to seek a pet.

Even people who are buying homes are not adopting pets.

"People are not bringing home puppies because times are tough, and animals cost money," said Sharon Silbert, president of Animal Rescue of Tracy, a community near Stockton.

The mortgage crisis showed few signs of easing Tuesday after a real estate tracking company announced that many homeowners started to fall behind on mortgage payments in the last three months, setting the stage for more foreclosures this year.

The San Joaquin Animal Shelter in Stockton is fielding more desperate calls from animal owners about to be evicted. Many call as a last resort after being turned down by various rescue groups with no room for more animals.

"They're usually breaking down on the phone," said Kathy Potter, a shelter dispatcher. "I'm quite direct with them that there's a 50-50 chance the animals might be put down."

Still, shelter operators say, half a chance is better than none.

"They may be euthanized at a shelter," said Stephanie Shain of the Humane Society of the United States. "But they'll be fed and have water and have a humane euthanization, as opposed to spending the last days of their lives eating carpet or wallboard."

Bloggers are furious with the "foreclosure pet" phenomenon, especially after seeing photos of emaciated animals on the Internet. Some critics say the pet owners have already proved they are irresponsible by buying houses they could not afford or mortgages they did not bother to understand.

"They see a pet as property, no different than a worn sofa tossed into the alley when the springs pop," says a posting about foreclosure pets on About.com.

The problem is exacerbated because most people grappling with foreclosure are returning to rental housing or moving in with relatives -- two situations where it can be difficult or impossible to bring pets.

"What we've always known is that when times are hard for people, they're hard for their pets," said Stephen Zawistowski, a vice president at the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Abandoning animals is illegal in most states under anti-cruelty laws, but the laws are not rigidly enforced.

In Stockton, shelter workers recently reunited a family with two rottweilers they had left behind in their foreclosed house. The family was staying in a homeless shelter, the dogs being cared for by neighbors at the family's behest. Shelter workers were able to find housing for the family and their dogs.

But happy endings elude a majority of foreclosure animals.

"Their best shot is for the owners to plan ahead some," Jennings said. "But they didn't plan when they bought their house. I don't see that happening anytime soon."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,884 • Replies: 22
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:23 am
BBB
I guess we need a "Katrina" type response to this new emergency to save these pets.

BBB
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:32 am
The pet owners should be denutted.

May I also point out that the Humane Society branches mentioned here are the real deal, unlike that other one you hear about so often.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:42 am
If they're that desperate why not eat the pets? Be efficient for god's sake.....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:11 am
What the hell is wrong with these people!!!!! At the very least, take you pet to the local shelter and have it euthanized so it doesn't have to suffer.

Jesus H Christ.

I want to beat these people senseless.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:44 pm
yeah its sad, if raising the interest on the arms meant hella people were going to lose their houses, why didnt they just leave everything how it was?

wow, i just got a bright idea, for the first time in a long long time.

thats what i need to do, las vegas got hit hard and theres hella pitbulls who need help (yeah im biased, the other dogs can get homes easier than the "scary pit bulls")
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:15 pm
I live in a rural area with a lot of second home owners. Many of these "farmer wannabees" went out and bought chickens, sheep, goats, and horses to decorate their farmettes. When they discovered they couldn't afford their rising mortgage and the rising cost of feed they started dumping their animals all over the place. Someone abandoned 6 chickens and rooster at our local mall the other night. An emaciated horse was found tied to a dumpster at local gas station. I had someone leave three rabbits in my driveway, in a plastic storage tub, with a note explaining "they are pets". The "pets" were donated to my real farming neighbor for his family's supper - I have no guilt. There is only one animal shelter in the county capable of taking care of farm animals and they are maxed out.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:23 pm
A rant on a similar note: People need to realize that a pet costs between $8,000 - $12,000 over it's lifetime. Some a little cheaper if they don't get full care, some a lot more if the owner will do anything to keep them alive when they have an illness.

I find it frustrating that I met people who find it impossible to save up for a home, but will own three or four pets. Instead of having three pets for ten years, put the money away and you will have $30,000 for a down payment in a decade. Then get the pet.

I love animals, I have had many pets, but people need to understand the costs. There is no such thing as free kitten or puppy.

OGIONIK - the best thing you can do for pitbulls is not make any more of them, but rather help the ones that are already alive to find good homes. There are pitbull rescue groups, maybe you can donate your time to help them.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:27 pm
It amazes me how people treat animals.

No. they dont need a silver fork and spoon and eat at the table like we do

but if you take one and take on the responsibility for that animals life, why is it so easy to throw that life to the side of the road?

It takes VERY LITTLE effort to find an animal a home.
People max out their cards on day long shopping sprees that take more physical effort then finding an animal a home, yet they will fight to keep needless excessive items while tying a horse to a dumpster.

Humans disgust me.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:20 pm
shewolf
Shewolf, I was really upset when I read the article. I can't stand people who don't take proper care of their pets.

BBB
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:39 am
Even if you can't take care of your pet, why in the world would be be Ok with just leaving them behind to starve to death?

Shooting them in the head would be more kind.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 10:09 am
Opening your back door and letting them run free is more humane..

Again.. very little fkcn effort
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:03 pm
I started to read this thread & have stopped. I can't believe how thoughtless & callous humans can be to animals sometimes. This is just heart-breaking.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 08:01 am
Well, the fact that many of the abandoned dogs are pit bulls should tell you something about the quality of homeowner we are talking about here.

These almost certainly weren't beloved family pets or trained hunting dogs.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 11:44 pm
Actually, cjhsa, I can't imagine that people who have abandoned their pets in this way were exactly the most caring of owners in the first place! Poor bloody animals, they don't deserve this. Sad
0 Replies

rainkeeper

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:12 am
A reminder of why so many of us are so logically distrusting of people.
I had not realized that this scene was so extensive in the states.
The awareness is being raised, this is good. Let us continue to raise it by spreading the word. Such insensitivity reminds me of the Nazis. Bstrds.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 06:29 am
msolga wrote:
Actually, cjhsa, I can't imagine that people who have abandoned their pets in this way were exactly the most caring of owners in the first place! Poor bloody animals, they don't deserve this. Sad

I think that was my point.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 06:35 am
cjhsa wrote:
msolga wrote:

I think that was my point.

No argument then.

Though I'm hardly an expert which particular dog breeds are most likely to have irresponsible owners. Confused
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 06:56 am
American Pit Bull terriers are preferred 10 to 1 by gang bangers and those with more testosterone than brains. The truth is, this is a noble breed that has characteristics that certain folks prefer, which can be amplified by mistreatment of the animal. When mistreated dogs are allowed to breed, their offspring often inherit some of the temperment. This has been the sad fate of the American Pit Bull.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 07:07 am
Yes, sadly we have our home-grown varieties of those folk here, too. Often the "training" of these types dogs leaves quite a bit to be desired, as well.
0 Replies