Originality in philosophy

Gilbey

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:58 am
I was reading about A level philosophy, and there was a section on "your own ideas". It said not to put to much of your own ideas into your work, rather just explain the arguments that already exist, and then it said that "originality is the hallmark for potential in philosophy".

What does that mean for philosophy in general, and what does that say about philosophy, that the best ideas are the original ones?

If its about being original, philosophy more of an art than anything else, and what does that mean for the contribution of philosophy to anything?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 695 • Replies: 1
No top replies

RealEyes

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 09:12 pm
Re: Originality in philosophy
Gilbey wrote:
I was reading about A level philosophy, and there was a section on "your own ideas". It said not to put to much of your own ideas into your work, rather just explain the arguments that already exist, and then it said that "originality is the hallmark for potential in philosophy".

What does that mean for philosophy in general, and what does that say about philosophy, that the best ideas are the original ones?

If its about being original, philosophy more of an art than anything else, and what does that mean for the contribution of philosophy to anything?

To paraphrase Einstein "the key to originality is knowing how to hide your sources"
0 Replies