could god be contingent?

rockpie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 04:26 am
to some, god is a necessary being, in that he has to exist because he is the most awesome being, and a reality without him would not be. i think St. Anselm made a similar point in his ontological argument.

to my understanding, a necessary being also has to be one who is not contigent (one who does not rely on anything to exist).

however, is god contingent? does he not rely on the faith of people to maintain his existence?

fair enough, just because nobody believes he is there does not mean he is not there, but could faith be to god as food or air is to us?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 930 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Tigershark

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 04:31 am
Don't get out much in Wales at this time of year? Smile
0 Replies

Dtoxikated

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 05:13 am
I guess it's one's perspective.

In Indian mythology, it is said that God derives power from the people who believes in Him. And I think that's fair enough because if people doesn't believe in Him, there is no existence of God.
0 Replies

Tigershark

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 05:19 am
Ah OK, so you're not taking the piss, boyoh?
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:00 am
well the best weather in summer here tends to be rain and wind, so you can imagine what our winters are like.

had to stay in one building at school yesterday because the winds reached speeds that condemned them as ''serious hazards''.

back to the thread, i think it is an interesting view, similar to the saying an army is only as strong as its troops, a god is only as strong as the faith in him/her/it.
0 Replies

Dtoxikated

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:27 am
Yeah, it is interesting.

Personally I don't believe in God. But it's good if you have someone to whom you can always look forward to. And, interestingly, God can be that ONE. Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:20 pm
God doesn't need anyone or anything to exist. He always has been and always will be.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 04:09 am
arella, you say that as if it is a fact, but it is not.

you may be right, i cannot claim that you are definitely incorrect.

however, i find it hard to believe that god can be an omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient being who has always been.

and if he is, then where has he been? auschwitz? roman invasion of jerusalem? hurricanes? volcanoes?

as i said, he may be there and it could all be part of some wonderful plan, but i can't see it.

and even if god were still there if all faith was lost, he would have no purpose any more.
0 Replies

Dtoxikated

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 05:04 am
Exactly, this whole universal setup is based on the faith of people. If there is no faith, there is no God. God is like a moral support for us. There is nothing more powerful than faith.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 11:17 am
rockpie wrote:
arella, you say that as if it is a fact, but it is not.

you may be right, i cannot claim that you are definitely incorrect.

however, i find it hard to believe that god can be an omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient being who has always been.

and if he is, then where has he been? auschwitz? roman invasion of jerusalem? hurricanes? volcanoes?

as i said, he may be there and it could all be part of some wonderful plan, but i can't see it.

and even if god were still there if all faith was lost, he would have no purpose any more.
Be careful how you use the omni words, lest you place a necessity upon the God of free will.

If you were to carefully read the bible, you would know that, since the rebellion in Eden, the entire world has been given over to Satan for him to have time to prove (or be disproved) vis a vis his allegations against God and his creatures.

If you wish a long explanation, I can give it. But, if a single citation will suffice, here is one:

"I shall not speak much with YOU anymore, for the ruler of the world is coming. And he has no hold on me. . ." (John 14:30)

After all, how could Satan offer Jesus all the kingdoms of the world if they were not his to give? (Matthew 4:9)
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 04:01 pm
God is the absolute, we are the relative, the rest is the abstract.

God is the sum, we are the parts. I believe that it doesn't require faith to make god. God didn't make earth and humans and ants, we are part of him. Everything is.

Picture it like this. I'll propose a super-simplified theory using colloquial if not comical references and then you can discuss if you want.

In the beginning, god was all that there was; the absolute. Being all that there is, means (philosophically) that you cannot experience the state of being all that is unless there is all that isn't. So god fragmented himself. Now he was the absolute (the whole), the relative (the parts) and the abstract (that which is neither the whole or the parts; i.e. the space between) If you choose, you can picture that phenomenon much like the big bang theory. God was the sum total of all the matter in the universe, but before he could experience him self as self, he had to have not-self. Its like playing king of the hill with no challengers. Are you king because you're the best, or just because you're the only? The game isn't fun without anyone to play with. So, he set the wheels in motion billions of years ago and the rest falls under the perview of science.

So in a nutshell, we are some of those fragments; connected souls from the same energy in bodies of borrowed matter. Pieces of god. God requires nothing of us except experience. As we have experience we grow in the soul. Experiences which are good for the soul further god's experience. Experiences which are bad for the soul do damage to the energy plane of the universal interconnected soul.

God is kinda like a big pot of vegatable soup. There are carrots and peas and tomatoes; he doesn't care what happens, just that things are happening. If a carrot gets overcooked and disintegrates, who cares? The molecules that made it are still in the pot, and the fact that it changed gives god a new experience from that event. The pot of soup doesn't care if a string bean stabs a potato, but it might change the soup for the worse. I think life is much like that. It doesn't matter to god if someone kills another, but it does change OUR world for the worse. The motivation for me to not kill comes from my knowledge of the universal energy, not obedience to god. If you have a white blood cell in your body that eats a bacteria and kills it, you don't condemn the white blood cell to an eternity in torturous hell. Its all part of the balance of your body.

That is not to say that god doesn't WANT us to do good things. It sure would be better for the universe if we did, but its a slow process, and we as humans are super-young.

So, god (I believe) exists regardless of faith, or even knowledge of him. Even if he plopped us here and never told us he existed, he would still exist... of course, all it takes is one enlightened personality to discover his existence and the rest is a journey to knowing him... which is where we are now.
0 Replies

Dtoxikated

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 10:52 pm
curtis73 wrote:
God is kinda like a big pot of vegatable soup. There are carrots and peas and tomatoes; he doesn't care what happens, just that things are happening. If a carrot gets overcooked and disintegrates, who cares? The molecules that made it are still in the pot, and the fact that it changed gives god a new experience from that event. The pot of soup doesn't care if a string bean stabs a potato, but it might change the soup for the worse. I think life is much like that.

I loved this example Very Happy
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 07:32 am
Dtoxikated wrote:

I loved this example Very Happy

I was actually eating vegetable soup when I was writing that analogy Smile
0 Replies

Dtoxikated

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 08:53 am
You seriously were?

You got good brain. :wink:
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:38 pm
rockpie wrote:

"however, i find it hard to believe that god can be an omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient being who has always been.

and if he is, then where has he been? auschwitz? roman invasion of jerusalem? hurricanes? volcanoes?"

i don't perceive of God as a "being" but rather more like a force that has always been.

Just because there are "negative" events in the reality of man and MAN'S perceptions, does not negate the existence of God. -- Simply that God's reality is not concerned with the negative "perceptions" of man and man's perception of reality.
0 Replies