Naked Man Ad Upsets Catholics

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:12 pm
It is a gimmick. Doesn't bother me. Some nuns I knew were pretty open to, uh, art. And then there's that nun who had, what was it, a tv series on art? 'course, some of the nuns I knew are married now.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:13 pm
farmerman wrote:
we never had nuns looked like that when I was in school. Sister Atilla looked like Tutankhamuns mummy.

Our nuns weren't better either. Old and mean, that's what they were.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:15 pm
I suspect the Church's objection had more to do with the depiction of the nuns than the naked model.

If an equivalent ad had similarly exploited the politically correct "protected" groups - say blacks, jews or gays - I believe the general reaction would have been very different. Fashions change, but ignorance and hypocrisy do not.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:15 pm
http://anunslife.org/2008/01/30/nuns-respond-to-boston-ad/

Comments on this ad by Nuns.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:24 pm
Oh, for heaven's sake!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:26 pm
sorta not hypocrisy though. Here we have primarily the Boston Archdiocese getting all torqued up over the ad. They of whom, the body of a little boy is but a plaything for a small percentage of priests and bishops.
I think they oughta just shut up and play bingo. Im not all full of charity to the various Archdiocese' latent sanctimony.

Besides george, your statement about "protected minorities" is,(IMHO) probably a Limbaughian scrambling for some high ground. I think if you look at comedy, youd find the groups youve identified have all been suitably stereotyped in humorous fashion with no big deals made ("JEWS IN SPACE"> BLAZING SADDLES_"THE BIRDCAGE"--"QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY") etc etc.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:31 pm
Fellini probably makes them roll over.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:34 pm
The PAulist Sisters have the right idea. Itll be a topic for 15 minutes and then itll be gone without nary any residual waste. Getting torqued , that has its own demerits, in that I look at whose complaining and on what pedestal do they stand?

Around here , the AMish are the subject to ridicule and leering. HoweverWe, theEnglish neighbors learn more from their patience and senses of forgiveness and spirit of compassion for others . The Holy Roman CAtholic Church Inc. shouldnt be calling out the moat in anothers eye, .
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:41 pm
farmerman wrote:
sorta not hypocrisy though. Here we have primarily the Boston Archdiocese getting all torqued up over the ad. They of whom, the body of a little boy is but a plaything for a small percentage of priests and bishops.
I think they oughta just shut up and play bingo. Im not all full of charity to the various Archdiocese' latent sanctimony.

No issue with that. However it doesn't alter my point. The ad exploited nuns and the diocese reaction was understandable. I don't pretent that the matter is particularly important though - and I doubt that they think so either.

farmerman wrote:
Besides george, your statement about "protected minorities" is,(IMHO) probably a Limbaughian scrambling for some high ground. I think if you look at comedy, youd find the groups youve identified have all been suitably stereotyped in humorous fashion with no big deals made ("JEWS IN SPACE"> BLAZING SADDLES_"THE BIRDCAGE"--"QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY") etc etc.
. I strongly disagree. There are two standards for what is acceptable for insider self parody and exploittion or mockery by outsiders in our PC world. The examples you cite are all by insiders. OK for a hip hop 'artist' to utter the (gasp) "N" word, but let someone else use it.... !!!! The same double standard exists for all "protected" groups. However no such protection exists in this case --- and that is hypocritical.
0 Replies