water tower?

Vengoropatubus

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 06:33 pm
Quote:
if you had a water tower full of water (manually put there) if it was drained through a device which in turn powered a water pump, would it be enough power to keep the tower full and the water pumping indefinitely?

Impossible? My solution: Has a water tower manually filled with water, uses siphoning to replace water in the tower, can keep siphoning indefinitely(assuming that the river is still flowing), and can even be used to generate power.
In my mind, a siphon is a pump in some since of the word, since it raises water to replace the water that it lets fall.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:32 pm
shaking head..unreal. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 11:02 am
Vengoropatubus wrote:
Quote:
if you had a water tower full of water (manually put there) if it was drained through a device which in turn powered a water pump, would it be enough power to keep the tower full and the water pumping indefinitely?

Impossible? My solution: Has a water tower manually filled with water, uses siphoning to replace water in the tower, can keep siphoning indefinitely(assuming that the river is still flowing), and can even be used to generate power.
In my mind, a siphon is a pump in some since of the word, since it raises water to replace the water that it lets fall.

Watch my lips: (since you missed it before) A syphon cannot raise anything. It only lets it fall.

The "lifting" part of its operation, which is minimal, is in an enclosed pipe (since the atmosphere has to be excluded) and the nett overall effect is a FALL.
What makes a syphon work is GRAVITY, and gravity does not pull things up.

If you don't believe any of this, look up SYPHON in any good encyclopedia.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 04:43 pm
McTag wrote:
Watch my lips: (since you missed it before) A syphon cannot raise anything. It only lets it fall.

The "lifting" part of its operation, which is minimal, is in an enclosed pipe (since the atmosphere has to be excluded) and the nett overall effect is a FALL.

The lifting part is minimal, but it's there. I don't claim to derive any advantage from it. I recognize that the maximum amount of work that can be done is still mgh, but I don't care about the net effect, I care about the fact that at some point in the process, water is raised.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 07:55 pm
If a simple siphon can lead to this much misunderstanding--I wonder how some sophisticated application of siphons, such as Heron's Fountain would be misunderstood.

Consider this, the physics is the same.

Rap
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:06 am
Vengoropatubus wrote:
McTag wrote:

The lifting part is minimal, but it's there. I don't claim to derive any advantage from it. I recognize that the maximum amount of work that can be done is still mgh, but I don't care about the net effect, I care about the fact that at some point in the process, water is raised.

These remarks

"The lifting part is minimal, but it's there. I don't claim to derive any advantage from it."

" I care about the fact that at some point in the process, water is raised"

are contradictory.

I'm sorry I have not been able to express this principle in language you can understand. I tried. I failed.
However, please set about constructing your working model of the world's first lifting syphon, and confound the nay-sayers. Good luck, I'm out.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 05:05 pm
Vengo,

What you will end up with is two pools of water at the same height. This is the principle of a water level, used by ancient egyptians on the pyramids and still used by builders today.

If you take and connect 4 hoses in such a manner as to have 4free ends and you fill the hoses with water (or other homogenous liquid) you will find that they are perfectly level. (perpendicular to a line through the center of the earth) This will be the result no matter what the intervening heights of the hose is, within mechanical limits of course.

If you are interested in attempting to violate some physical laws go to You Tube and search "Magnetic Motors". They are about as close as anybody has come yet. Very Happy
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 04:39 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
There are instances where a system is semi-self-sustaining.

That's like saying a girl is a semi-virgin. She either is or she ain't.
0 Replies