IS PRAYER USEFUL?

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 10:36 pm
Prayer can be useful as a sort of mind candy. Aside from that, it's an excercise in futility.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:32 pm
Q. "When did you realize that you were God?"
A. "While praying. I realized I was talking to myself."
--The 14th Earl of Gurney (Peter O'Toole), who has the delusion that he is Jesus Christ
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:43 pm
Gees, I thought it was another Bushism!!! Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:48 pm
I like edgar's post about prayer. A very short, sweet, treat for the believer, but nothing else in the pantry.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:56 pm
maliagar wrote:
frankie wrote:
Everyone who has spoken about "fear disqualifying religion" please raise your hand.

frankie wrote:
My Guess: Most humans do all this prayer of thanksgiving stuff because they are terrified of their gods.

frankie wrote:
Let's look at the reality.

Most of the people discussing this subject on A2K are people who do all this praying to the god of the Bible -- who is arguably the most ferocious, barbaric, murderous, vindictive, vengeful, quick to anger, slow to forgive, petty gods ever invented. Most of the people "believe" that if they do not satisfy this god - the punishment will be horrendous - for some, it means going to Hell where the god will inflict excruciating torture on them for all the rest of eternity.

Anyone who "believes" the god of the Bible is the entity with which we all must eventually deal -- either is terrified of the god or is an idiot.

Can anyone explain to me what this post from Maliagar is all about?????
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:23 pm
nope
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:30 pm
Does it matter........... Question
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:33 pm
Still chasing the tail, Frank? Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:48 pm
I don't know either -- by "Frankie" perhaps he means the Frankenstein monster as he fancies himself with the crowd after him, carrying torches and pitchforks to drive him up onto the cathedral belfry. There he may encounter the hunchback who will mistake him for a vat of oil and throw him over the side so he can become the true martyr he so diligently wishes he could be.
0 Replies