The Bible as Literature

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:28 pm
Nothing is more beautifully written as those books in the King James version of the Bible. Two of my favorites are Song of Solomon and Psalms.

Based strictly on the beauty of the language, do you have favorites?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,459 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:30 pm
I've never read the bible before. How many versions are there? or am i mistaken?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:51 pm
tyrius, there are several versions of the Bible:King James--New International--Living Bible--and the New Revised Standard. The King James I prefer because of the Shakespearian type language.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:53 pm
Why are they so many different versions?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:01 pm
because someone must have thought that the average person couldn't read and interpret without help. Rolling Eyes The particular one of which I speak is The Layman's Parallel Bible.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:05 pm
Are each version different as in some exluding and some including certain passages?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:10 pm
I would say,Tyrius, that it's more distortion than clarification
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:34 pm
Who writes all of these versions any way? and why are they trying to make it harder to understand than it needs to be?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:02 pm
Tyrius - the King James version came about in the reign of King james I of England (and VI of Scotland!).

England had not that long been established finally as a Protestant country (it settled under James' predecessor, Elizabeth I).

It was felt that the new Church of England needed a new and definitive Bible translation - the Bible having not been very accessible to lay people under the Roman catholicism of the time - and usually, I suppose (?), read in Latin.

The resultant translation - couched in the magnificent language of Elizabethan/Jacobean England - (the language of Shakespeare, Donne etc) - is a thing of great literary beauty, most people agree. It is now often studied in English Literature courses for this reason. However, it is now nearly 400 years old - and many people find the language hard to understand - so new editions of the bible, in modern English, have come about. Many translators also wish to correct translation errors in the King James version.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:07 pm
Letty - Genesis is pretty spectacular! I also love the passage (Paul, I believe?) beginning "Though I speak with the tongue of men and of Angels" etc - about charity...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:07 pm
The Bible is beautifully written which is why trying to watch some Cecil B. DeMille Biblical epic where the language is paraphrased into schmuck English, it is good for a laugh.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:08 pm
I love the language of the prophets--especially Isaiah!--as did Martin Luther King, Jr. It's what made his speeches so amazing!

King James for me, for literary beauty!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:16 pm
Deb and Mr. Wizard. You are both so right. The beauty of the language is still fantastic and regardless of how it becomes juggled for the sake of box office or control, it is timeless. Yes, Deb that particular passage is from Paul. One of my favorites, too. From the nether regions of my mind I am trying to recall the entire context of "....through a glass darkly..."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:20 pm
Hmmm - part of "when I was a child, I thought as a child, I spake as a child.....something something put away childish things ...... then I saw as through a glass darkly....." Shoulda kept me school bible!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:30 pm
Ah, dupre. Testing my memory about Isaiah:

"...There shall come forth a rod out of the root of Jesse,
and a flower shall rise up out of his root..."Wow!

Deb..that's it! Get that book out from under the dusty tomes of childhood! Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:02 pm
Mr. Wizard, Just thought of Ingmar Bergman's movie "Through a Glass Darkly". My Gawd. I never understood one bit of that movie. Shocked
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:11 pm
Not one of his more accessible films, that's for sure. "The Virgin Spring" gets rather murky in the dialogue at times as well as "The Magician" (although in that film the idea is what is real and what is magic).
The scripts are all written in a prose that rivals the Bible -- the sound of the Swedish being spoken by all of his very skilled actors is quite beautiful, especially in "Wild Stawberries."
0 Replies