coluber2001

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 03:12 pm
God is the term we use for the perception or state of mind in which opposites are resolved or what Alan Watts called "big mind." In the ordinary or "small mind" we think in dualistic terms, and in that case we could argue all day about whether god is a male or female.
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:24 pm
God is genderless but in reality is both male and female because both aspects are part of God.

i think the reason God is referred to as "He" is because of ancient man's perception of God as a Father figure and benefactor.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:23 am
From the mythological standpoint you see universally that the "God" of planting cultures is almost exclusively female in nature that of hunter-gathering cultures is almost exclusively male in nature. The planting cultures are based on sedimentary nurturing, the hunting cultures that of action and dominance. The mythologies of these cultures reflect this.

You can actually watch this change in history as societies moved from the one to the other. Two great examples are that of the American Indians and the ancient Middle East. To say the reason is economically based is a bit of a stretch, possibly based on our current capitalistic world view. Just my opinion though as economy is certainly important in any form of society.

James Frazer's "The Golden Bough" is well worth the read. (I'd get the abridged version, the complete version being 18 volumes). Heinrich Zimmer is also an author worth noting.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:16 am
shin wrote:
what is god's gender?

From an Islamic perspective, God (Allah) is genderless.

shin wrote:
why do we always refer to the god, as He?

Quote:
The Arabic grammar has only two genders, male and female and male gender is of two types:

1.Masculine Haqeeqi i.e. Real, which is used to denote the masculine gender in humans, animals.

2. Masculine Majazi i.e. Unreal, wherein it is used as Masculine but in reality it is not so e.g. Malak (Angel), Layl (Night), Bab (door). The word Allah (God), too falls in the second category i.e. Masculine Majazi.

The English language has got three genders; male, female and neutral. So if we translate the Arabic word and and not ?

In Arabic grammar there are certain rules and criteria for feminine gender. First, if it is female by nature, like the word mother (ummun), it becomes feminine in gender. Allah is not a female. Second, if it ends with the third Arabic letter like so it cannot be feminine. Third, if the word ends with so, it cannot be feminine. And lastly, if the object occurs in pairs, like pairs of the body, e.g. (eyes), (hands), they are considered feminine. But Allah (God) says in the Glorious Qur'an in Surah Ikhlas, chapter 112, verse 1:

"Say: He is Allah the ONE and Only;"

So Allah (God) is one and not a pair. Therefore, by default since it cannot be used as i.e. she or it, Allah (God) uses huwa i.e. He. And Allah (God) knows the best.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:55 am
The three genders used in English are male, female and neuter. You should check the accuracy of your sources before you cut and paste someone else's bullshit.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 01:59 pm
He didn't list any sources so obviously he wrote that himself.
Don't jump to such crazy conclutions setanta. Everyone knows that
it's commen decency to list your sources if you copy-paste something ... right? Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 02:56 pm
Uh . . . yeah, sure . . . whatever . . .
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 03:02 pm
Setanta wrote:
Uh . . . yeah, sure . . . whatever . . .

I'm afraid that line is copyrighted by disney
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 03:05 pm
They can sue me . . . i talked to god, and She said She'll vaporize any process server who gets within a mile of me . . .
0 Replies