America can be funny...or not.

TTH

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:32 am
If it were me, 18 inches in this case would be no big deal. I wouldn't care and I wouldn't even say anything.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:36 am
Francis wrote:
Does it happen very often, then?

Re building and renovating, yes, I'd say it happens all the time.

There's always disputes about a neighbors fence being 3 inches over someone else property line, driveways, sidewalks, how far you can build from the street.

Sometimes when looking at a map of your plat of land, it's not accurate to the inch, and doesn't jive with your neighbors.

To be honest, I would never have made trouble for my neighbor over 18 inches...although that difference would seem to me to have been noticed by inspectors during the process.

Even if I didn't like him, I couldn't see myself making someone pay all that expense. Seems vindictive.

On the other hand, I see the retaliation as downright childish, and not at all funny.

I have a deep rooted disgust for that particular hand signal. I've never found it funny, and whenever I've seen others do it, it makes me think they are very base and low class.

I'd no sooner put vents on my house in that configuratin than tattoo a giant vagina on my face.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:40 am
Chai
The way the neighbor did it (the finger) just seemed funny to me because when I first saw the picture my thought was......look up. I don't promote giving someone the finger and I don't do that myself.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:44 am
Amusing story - I believe poetic justice was done.

I suspect the height ordnance was an obscure feature of the building code. In most localities designs are reviewed in advance by local government to determine compliance, which is also enforced by inspections during construction. However these are little bureaucrats who cannot be held responsible for what they do (or fail to do).

How did Francis find it?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:46 am
georgeob1 wrote:
How did Francis find it?
Maybe he is one of the 2 neighbors involved Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:50 am
It's on the web since nearly 2 years, and got mentioned at snopes ... as beimng true.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:53 am
Walter knows EVERYTHING ! :wink:

What the hell is "snopes"???
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:54 am
georgeob1 wrote:
How did Francis find it?

I was doing some research on how people get excitement from life...
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:55 am
georgeob1 wrote:

They are the good guys... http://www.snopes.com/
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:56 am
georgeob1 wrote:

Snopes is a web site which is dedicated to either confirming or debunking what are today referred to as urban legends.

Click here to visit Snopes-dot-com.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:57 am
georgeob1 wrote:

A side where "urban legends" are ´clarified

http://www.snopes.com/photos/risque/ventcover.asp
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:10 am
Thanks to all. An interesting & amusing story. Interesting that the "victim" here was a city councilman and that the harassment of their new neighbor started well before the roofline height issue arose.

Justice was done. (Though I'm not sure that convivial neighborliness was improved).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:37 pm
It amazes me what some contractors get away with, putting people in major financial hell. It truly does!

I'm not a big fan of the finger either, but anyone pisses me off enough (I mean big time), they're getting the finger.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:38 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Thanks to all. An interesting & amusing story. Interesting that the "victim" here was a city councilman and that the harassment of their new neighbor started well before the roofline height issue arose.

Justice was done. (Though I'm not sure that convivial neighborliness was improved).

By listening to the neighbours talk, I gathered as much.
0 Replies

older

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:30 am
That's funny stuff.....unless your his neighbor
0 Replies