What is majoring in philosophy like?

blindsided

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 11:48 pm
I am taking intro to metaphysics and intro to logic, so far, we have had no outside class work. It is pretty awesome, I just go to class, listen, maybe take some notes, and then go home. The finals sound like they will be a breeze. Philosophy is definitely the major for someone who wants to coast through college
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 11:44 pm
I don 't remember ever having any work outside of philosophy class;
( unless u mean reading the works of philosophers, at home ).

DAVID
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:13 am
blindsided, don't you have readings to do?
0 Replies

blindsided

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 10:44 am
I haven't had any outside readings so far. My logic teacher believes that text books are too expensive, so he didn't have us buy one. My metaphysics teacher hasn't had us read anything yet, he has gone through all the key pre-socratic philosophers and we are starting plato today, maybe now we will start reading( our book is called from plato to deriadha). I read part of the apology and a chapter bertrand russell's problems of philosophy while waiting for him to get to class, he is usually 20minutes late. All the philosophy courses I have had so far are intro courses, so that is probably why I haven't had much reading to do.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:34 pm
Ah, I bet you'll get some metaphysics readings soon enough. Good on ya for reading some of the Plato in advance.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:00 am
blindsided wrote:
I haven't had any outside readings so far. My logic teacher believes that text books are too expensive, so he didn't have us buy one. My metaphysics teacher hasn't had us read anything yet, he has gone through all the key pre-socratic philosophers and we are starting plato today, maybe now we will start reading( our book is called from plato to deriadha). I read part of the apology and a chapter bertrand russell's problems of philosophy while waiting for him to get to class, he is usually 20minutes late. All the philosophy courses I have had so far are intro courses, so that is probably why I haven't had much reading to do.

Blimey.

We were essayed and tutorial papered into a frenzy. Also marked upon informed discussion of others' papers etc. in tutorials.

If it is Intoe...well, mebbe.....but if you want to be introduced....READ!!!!!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:11 am
philosophy without reading? strange idea. hope they give you some reading soon!
0 Replies