whalers detain environmentalists

hanno

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 08:06 pm
NZ media account 'Whalers on shaky ground'

So apparently under current arrangements limited whaling is still carried out for various purposes. Earlier this week two conservationists boarded a Japanese whaler which their group was trying to impede, apparently seeking to give the whalers a letter about not killing whales. Only problem is, as you might guess, boarding someone else's boat is sticky business. Without using arcane terminology, you could say they're being held hostage, or that they were trespassing their brains out. Please try to control your font selections when discussing this.

Here's the real question. What does this event tell us about human nature? That we lack restraint in the sense that even though killing whales is a crowd displeaser there will always be someone to do it if we let them? Or that even when stuff's going their way, more or less, those that seek to control others will take it as far as they can to make their will someone else law?

That is to say, do we need to control ourselves or do we need to control the desire to control one another?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 695 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 09:13 pm
With only one exception coming to mind, I think we're pretty good at controling font selections. What were you expecting?
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:50 pm
On either side you've got the makings of a gloom and doom scenario. Kill the whales or moral fanaticism. It's fun stuff but not really why I like this scenario...

What has the whaling industry or this particular brand of treehugger that preys on minorities and special interests got to do with most Americans? Nothing. So in this case, as opposed to my gas-guzzler vs. your kids mercury levels I was hoping we could be academic about it.

Like instead of saying who's right and who's wrong, agree that there's a discrepancy and say what that means for us.

I hate to give it away, but the answer I was going for is that we're all the whalers. We can all do one thing or another, kill whales, kill cows, kill soybeans. Just because we do one and reproach the others even if we're right, for everyone and we know it and it's a matter of universal truth and importance, we've still got the capacity to choose the wrong food source within us (I'll assert that no one of 6.5 billion is that different from the others).

So, should we make the world a better place, or alternately quit destroying it? How can we? If someone can benefit from innovation or mineral wealth it's being done, all these kids on the Sea Shepherd ships are doing is selling us something we do for ourselves under their management. Same with liberal politicians. And what's the difference between their management and what we'd do on our own? Beyond orchestrating communal affairs, all they can do is step on somebody. If it were outside the country, maybe I could see it, but even then it's a losing game.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 03:07 am
That was a remarkably opaque "explanation". Having read it, I still have no idea what point you're trying to get at. Care to try again?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 05:32 am
I would like a nice Arts and Crafts Mission style font. Its more organic.
Bumping to see whether we get to a point here
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 05:35 am
Quote:
kill whales, kill cows, kill soybeans

Which one, is not like the others.? I like to stalk the wild endangered soybean and slit it from gullet to poop-chute
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 10:11 pm
username wrote:
That was a remarkably opaque "explanation". Having read it, I still have no idea what point you're trying to get at. Care to try again?

If it's opaque to you you must stand to benefit greatly from my wisdom, so I'll give it a shot.

Here's the point; we are monsters, let it happen and whales will be fished to out of existence, but control is a pleasant but dangerous fiction. We do our best, try to keep the all the species alive, keep mercury out of the tap water, keep liquor store robberies from involving RPG's, and keep the garbage getting picked up. But then, people being people, get egotistical about it. Start thinking, we got all the civil services up and running, but maybe somebody else is out of line. The G goes from being a thing of the people to something they use to settle each other's hashes. Ironic since the thing that used to be for that, the firearm, is usually on the top 10 list of bad things we no longer need again ever. Also because it works best on your fellow countrymen.

The kids on the whale boat are symptomatic of this. Could you or I ever expect to jump on someone else's boat in open water, trespass in an industrial setting, start some ****, and be treated like a prophet/diplomat? But if you're trying to control somebody else you're a protected species yourself all of a sudden.
0 Replies