cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:20 am
This was coming?

Court Won't Accept Chimp As Person
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Chimp-Challenge.html

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: January 15, 2008
Filed at 11:02 a.m. ET

VIENNA, Austria (AP) -- Austria's Supreme Court has dashed hopes by animal rights activists to have a chimpanzee declared a person, a statement suggested Tuesday.

The court recently rejected a petition to appoint a trustee for the chimp, named Matthew Hiasl Pan, the Vienna-based Association Against Animal Factories said, and subsequently vowed to contact the European Court of Human Rights over the matter.

The court's decision follows in the footsteps of a similar ruling last fall. In September, a provincial judge in the city of Wiener Neustadt dismissed the case, ruling the Association Against Animal Factories has no legal standing to argue on the chimp's behalf.

The legal back and forth began in February, when the animal shelter where Pan and another chimp, Rosi, have lived for 25 years filed for bankruptcy protection.

Activists want to ensure the apes don't wind up homeless. Both were captured as babies in Sierra Leone in 1982 and smuggled to Austria for use in pharmaceutical experiments. Customs officers intercepted the shipment and turned the chimps over to the shelter.

Donors have offered to help with the upkeep costs, but under Austrian law, only a person can receive personal gifts.

Organizers could set up a foundation to collect cash for Pan, whose life expectancy in captivity is about 60 years. But they argue only personhood will ensure he isn't sold to someone outside Austria, where he's protected by strict animal cruelty laws.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,607 • Replies: 21
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:24 am
But a certain country elected a chimp as its president in 2000...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:26 am
It's not like the chimps are going to vote, lead a Bible study course, or coach your son's soccer team. The activists just want to make sure the animals are cared for.

Though it does make for a hilarious headline.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:41 am
Gargamel wrote:
It's not like the chimps are going to vote, lead a Bible study course, or coach your son's soccer team. The activists just want to make sure the animals are cared for.

Though it does make for a hilarious headline.

No, they want to be able to sue on behalf of chimps and other animals as if they were human. They also want to make it a crime to eat animals.

Contrex must be talking about Hugo Chavez. Hey cont, do you think Carla Bruni is an animal rights type? Does she like it doggy style?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:51 am
cjhsa wrote:
Contrex must be talking about Hugo Chavez.

No, he's an ape, not a chimp.

Quote:
Hey cont,

Glad you spelled that right.

Quote:
do you think Carla Bruni is an animal rights type? Does she like it doggy style?

She's an old woman of 39. The thought makes me sick.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:05 am
contrex wrote:

She's an old woman of 39. The thought makes me sick.

And how old are you?

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, you're a man.

You're what, in your 60's?

I bet the 20 year old just hang around your front door.

With your snotty attitude, you'd be lucky to get a 39 year old woman to give your a dirty look.

C'mon Gargamel...let's go make hot bonobo love.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:10 am
From Wikipedia:

Sexual intercourse plays a major role in Bonobo society, being used as a greeting, a means of conflict resolution and post-conflict reconciliation, and as favors traded by the females in exchange for food. Bonobos are the only non-human apes to have been observed engaging in all of the following sexual activities: face-to-face genital sex (most frequently female-female, then male-female and male-male), tongue kissing, and oral sex.[15] In scientific literature, the female-female sex is often referred to as GG rubbing or genital-genital rubbing, while male-male sex is sometimes referred to as penis fencing.[16]

Sexual activity happens within the immediate family as well as outside it, and often involves adults and children, even infants.[17] Bonobos do not form permanent relationships with individual partners. They also do not seem to discriminate in their sexual behavior by gender or age, with the possible exception of sexual intercourse between mothers and their adult sons; some observers believe these pairings are taboo. When Bonobos come upon a new food source or feeding ground, the increased excitement will usually lead to communal sexual activity, presumably decreasing tension and allowing for peaceful feeding.[18]

No hangups for these monkeys!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:12 am
eww, tongue kissiing.

forget it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:17 am
Quote:
Court Won't Accept Chimp As Person

sounds like something from The Onion...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:18 am
i was thinking that too
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:19 am
Unfortunately it isn't.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:20 am
Chai wrote:
eww, tongue kissiing.

forget it.

Whose the anthropologist who coined the term "penis fencing"?

Not to derail the thread...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:29 am
yeah, and the mother/son sex being taboo. I guess that's the only relationship they can be sure of.

Well, they have to draw the line somewhere I suppose.

Can you imagine what a trip to the mall would be like if all of us were like bonobos?

OMG! Look! Nikes are on sale! Let's penis fence!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:31 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:38 am
I guess "swashf u c k ling" was shot down at the meeting.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 12:29 pm
Chai wrote:
And how old are you?

I'm a lot younger than that!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 12:35 pm
contrex wrote:
Chai wrote:
And how old are you?

I'm a lot younger than that!

seriously?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 12:45 pm
That's not what he's said in previous posts.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 01:29 pm
I don't care how old you are. If you are male, you are not going to turn down a hot 39-year old woman. Unless, of course....
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 01:41 pm
Chai wrote:
That's not what he's said in previous posts.

And you believe everything you read on the internet?
0 Replies