Father Jebidiah-may-I?

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 11:24 pm
One evening, since im catholic, i went to confession for a good hearty laugh (and my parents made me go!). As I was talking the priest or father "jebidiah-may-I" he said that saying jesus mary and that other guy is paying disrespect to christ and not reverence! So okay that was a sin. I felt horrible and sinfully dirty Laughing ! Well before I went in the screen with the priest, some woman tried to cut in front of me in the line, so I ran in front of her and everyone gave me a dirty look! The priest said that was a sin as well. So out of curiosity, since everything I did was sin I asked the priest a question that had him stumped! "father, if i were to go onto the top of the empire state building and were to drop a penny, would that be a sin?" well he thought about it and told me to grow up! He indirectly stated that I was sinning for asking that question and I was mocking the church! Can I never win? So knowing that a penny were to accelerate in speed and force drastically when you throw it while at the top of the empire state building, would that be a sin?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,093 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:52 am
Only if it hit someone in the head and killed them.

If it hit the ground...no harm, no foul.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:59 am
I don't think that it would be a "sin", (The concept of "sin" has no meaning for me), but it would be at best, foolish, and at worst, criminal. The fact that dropping the penny has the potential for causing great harm, should give an intelligent, mature person pause.
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 01:37 pm
could it possibly kill someone? I honestly feel weird about it! It was a question in which i asked my dad long ago. What I found so strange about it was how come It seemed to be like a grey issue. I know it seems wrong, but why would it appear so gray to others? That is the real question!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 06:05 am
Hi RedHorn,

No, the penny would not kill anyone by hitting them on top of the head. Air resistance slows it down sufficiently to prevent this. See the following link:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_225.html

However its probably an unecessarily reckless action. Someone could be looking up at the time and be seriously injured. But then again, the same thing could be said of flying a pointy paper airplane as well; someone could get hit in the eye and injured.

I think it's a grey area to most people because there's an element of chance to the possible result, and people constantly weigh potential outcomes into everything they do. But people measure things differently, and some may be a lot more cautious than others.

As parents tell their kids, "it's all fun and games, until somebody gets hurt". Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 06:40 am
I think it's only fun and games when someone loses an eye, but seriously, no sin, just a digression. Now Red talkin' crazy....

Also, that woman holding her place in line was clearly a moron, as your confession was far more important. Laughing

In the Jewish faith, being sinfully dirty at least once a week is a mitzvah.
0 Replies