Any advice on buying drums?

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 06:52 pm
Ha! That's what I did do! Maybe not a couple of hours but I spent quite a bit of time on it. Fun.

When you hear people who play like that you really realize that drums are music.

I heard back from Mo's old music teacher who reiterated the things I heard from the drum stores I talked to today.

I will probably end up costing a bit more than we had planned so I'm hoping it will work out but golf clubs might be looking better and better!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 02:20 pm
I'm not saying that Mo isn't a creative kid, but he has a practical creativity that bypasses fantastic, let's pretend play and concentrates on trying out adult roles.

Interesting.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 02:51 pm
You're right - he does. And he's an exceptional mimic. He meets somene, studies them, and then becomes them. It's freaky.

I think I mentioned that when we moved into our new house he introduced himself to everyone as "Baker" so everyone around here calls him Baker even though right now, more often than not, he is a girl named "Sally".

All of these people act just like Mo and like the same things Mo likes with subtle little differences.

Always, though, his middle name is "Jones".

He's a weird kid.

We kind of have to force him to be a kid.

Anyway....

I just got back from the drum store and it was so much fun! I bought them from the salesman who spent nearly an hour on the phone with me yesterday and today he spent another hour setting things up for someone Mo's size and teaching me how to reassemble everything once I got it home. He didn't try to "up sale" me and even dissuaded me from a few little extras I was considering. Brilliant. I love stores with that kind of service.

I can't wait to see the look on Mo's face tomorrow!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:35 pm
Boomer--

You're a doting mama--just what Mo needs.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 10:39 pm
boomerang wrote:
......you should learn on acoustic drums then move to electronic drums.
Simply an old wives' tale!

- It's like saying you should learn on acoustic piano then move to electronic keyboards.
- It's like saying you should learn on acoustic guitar then move to electric guitar*.

- It's like saying you should learn on a manual typewriter then move to a PC.

If you wanna amuse yourself ask these (presumably) experts, what harm will come from learning on eDrums.

- The truth is that eDrums can sound like whatever you want, including but not limited to acoustic drums.

- The truth is that many musicians (believe it or no) are often narrow minded traditionalists when it comes to personal instrument choice.

*The Gibson Les Paul Standard electric guitar is the Harley Davidson Sportster of the guitar world, it's continued popularity is based on a similar iconic herd-mentality.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 05:58 pm
Actually on guitar they says it's best to start with electric - especially for little kids. If I recall it is because of the slimmer body and that the strings are easier to press.

The drum people I talked to all mentioned stick control and how it is easier to translate what you know from acoustic to electronic than vice versa.

Mo toally digs his drums and has been happily banging away. He actually doesn't sound too bad!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 07:16 pm
boomerang wrote:
Actually on guitar they says it's best to start with electric - especially for little kids.
The they you refer varies with the they........sad to say.

You might want to review "scale length" before you start believing more old wives' tales, in this case simply because a guitar has a pickup that it automatically must mean it's a better instrument to learn on than one that does not...little kids or no.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 01:33 pm
Ratatattat.

You can always visualize sending him off to be a Little Drummer Boy in an Army of Yore.

Ratatattat.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 05:42 pm
Well I'm an old wife... what can I say?

In the interesting bit of serendipity field:

Last week at school a neighborhood dojo came and did a martial arts demonstartion at Mo's school. They gave each kid a ticket for a free introductory class to take place today so off we went to see what it was all about.

Right next to the dojo was a drum studio so after the class we wandered inside. Not only was this place a drum studio they are the (hand) makers of Allegra drums! (I'm glad I had not wandered in there first because their cheapest snare drum cost more (hundreds more) than Mo's entire kit cost. I would have been entirely taken aback at the prices.)

Anyway...

The drum studio section has a gazillion working musicians who teach out of there and I got several cards for people who would make excellent teachers!

The drum maker even gave Mo an improptu concert and talked a lot to him about drumming. How lucky is that?

Fun!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 07:18 pm
Boomer--

You make Mo's luck for him.
0 Replies