Any advice on buying drums?

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 04:32 pm
Electronic drums, huh?

I know that at Mo's old music school the drumming teacher taught on electronic drums but I was a bit worried that they had the same stigma that electronic keyboards have in the "beginner" world.

I know all the cons of getting a kid drums but in the long run I still think it's worth it.

Thanks for the help! I'll check out that link.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 05:58 pm
I'm afraid that drum fourm was WAY over my head. I could hardly decipher that they were talking about drums.

I've still got a few days to decide what to do.....

If anyone has a recommendation for a starter set of electronic drums let me know!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 05:46 am
Boomer--

My information may be 25 years out of date, but back then beginning drummers practiced with two drumsticks on a piece of rubber padding.

Drum sets were not necessary according to the junior high music teacher.

Mo does like Props that create an identity, doesn't he? He doesn't amass possessions, he accumulates possibilities.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:07 am
I completely understand that a complete child sized drum kit is not essential. I understand I could spend half of that amount on Legos and gum and video games and a basketball hoop.

But all of that stuff would be as quickly forgotten as every other toy Mo has (which isn't a lot because he's not that keen on toys). He's had his guitar for over a year and he still plays on it most days. I guess I would just rather spend my money on a quality gift that will hold his interest than on a bunch of junk that won't.

His only other suggestion was golf clubs.

Maybe I'll call around asking questions about both today.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:30 am
boomerang wrote:
Electronic drums, huh?

I know that at Mo's old music school the drumming teacher taught on electronic drums but I was a bit worried that they had the same stigma that electronic keyboards have in the "beginner" world.

why not call the drumming teacher?

It seems like you don't need to get a full drum kit or a "bunch of junk".
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:39 am
boomerang wrote:
I completely understand that a complete child sized drum kit is not essential. I understand I could spend half of that amount on Legos and gum and video games and a basketball hoop.

But all of that stuff would be as quickly forgotten as every other toy Mo has (which isn't a lot because he's not that keen on toys). He's had his guitar for over a year and he still plays on it most days. I guess I would just rather spend my money on a quality gift that will hold his interest than on a bunch of junk that won't.

His only other suggestion was golf clubs.

Maybe I'll call around asking questions about both today.

As someone who enjoys both drums and the links, Boom, may I say that golf is a great social mixer. If Mo were to enjoy Golf, it would open doors for the rest of his life to meet interesting people. Only met a few idiots on public courses, most folks are very open and friendly.

I'd sell my tools before my clubs...

RH
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:44 am
Boomerang,

My first drum kit, which I received at age thirteen, was a Percussion Plus. Within two years I had beat the cymbals out of shape and cracked the toms. Meaning: the hardware on this set will not withstand a boy's recklessness. The Percussion Plus is cheaply made--the tuning springs, the hi-hat catch, in short the nuts and bolts of this kit are not built to last.

The next set I bought was fifteen-year old Pearl Maxwin, which I still own to this day. That would make it about twenty-eight years old. Who knows how many times I have carelessly tossed its pieces into the back of a truck and beat the living **** out of it at shows. Still it holds up.

I was never a drum-nerd. Like I never subscribed to drummer magazines or got a hard-on talking about the difference between Zildjians and Sabians. Browse classifieds and you can probably put together the perfect beginner kit. Also, I've seen some beautiful kits at used music stores for cheap. It is important your kid bonds with his kit as he bonds with drumming.

Those esoteric websites you've been to may be useful in terms of maintenance. Reckless as I was, I would regularly rub the rims with parrafin wax and apply Vaseline to the screws, since the kit was so old. I would have been wise to invest in cases as well.

One last note: don't you dare go electronic. All I'm saying is, young men starting out on the drums don't fantasize about playing for Devo. They want to be John Bonham.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:46 am
Gargamel wrote:
young men starting out on the drums don't fantasize about playing for Devo. They want to be John Bonham.

Mo's a young boy, not a young man. Same principle could apply, though.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:49 am
ehBeth wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
young men starting out on the drums don't fantasize about playing for Devo. They want to be John Bonham.

Mo's a young boy, not a young man. Same principle could apply, though.

Whatever. I started playing drums and listening to Led Zeppelin at 12 or 13. A boy, then.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:01 am
Hey Gargamel, thanks!

I'm going to break my post up into a few posts because my computer is so funky right now.

How about these?

Quote:
http://www.rtdrumsets.com/images/jr/jrkit.jpg

Broadway "Junior" Drum Set :

Our "Junior" Drum Set is NOT a toy kit! It is by far the best value on the market for a kid's drum set. Check out the specs on this baby! It's a full 5-piece drumset that you might even catch Dad rockin' out on...
Poplar Shells
High-Gloss Finish
2 Mounted Toms
Snare Drum
Floor Tom
Bass Drum
Available in Red or Black
Includes: Cymbal, all hardware, hi-hats, sticks, and a throne.
LIST: $498. OUR PRICE...ONLY: $249.00
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:08 am
So, I didn't realize how little a dude Mo is. If he can fit behind that little kit, I say err on the fiscally conservative side. Even a Percussion Plus would do for several years!

I got carried away posting about something I actually know about instead of making some two-line quip about dead prostitutes.

As you were...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:12 am
Mo will be seven on Wednesday. So yeah, he's still a little kid.

But he's a little kid who really likes music and likes trying to make music. When I asked him "Why drums?" he said "Because drums are the heart of the band." very matter of factly. I think he must have heard this in music class at school or something.

He likes everything from White Zombie to Dido although his current favorite is James Brown. I am probably inappropriately permissive when it comes to music.

The thing with golf clubs is that we have another few months of rain ahead of us so he wouldn't really even get to use them for a while. There is a really nice public course just blocks from our house though. Golf clubs sounds like a really expensive endevor for a boy who grows three inches a year. Clubs, lessons, green fees....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:28 am
Gargamel wrote:
So, I didn't realize how little a dude Mo is. If he can fit behind that little kit, I say err on the fiscally conservative side. Even a Percussion Plus would do for several years!

I got carried away posting about something I actually know about instead of making some two-line quip about dead prostitutes.

As you were...

I appreciate your post! I know most people think he's too young. I don't.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:55 am
boomerang wrote:
Golf clubs sounds like a really expensive endevor for a boy who grows three inches a year.

Not necessarily. A starter set (no more than 1 putter, 1 sand wedge, 1 iron, 1 wood was the recommendation from a couple of club pros I took classes with) from someplace like Play It Again Sports would be relatively inexpensive, and can be traded in for a different size year after year if necessary.

~~~

If he really likes the idea, send him for classes at a community centre or something similar.

The first class I took, the instructor told us to go to Goodwill and pick up a $3 nine-iron - and told us not to put any more money into it til we'd finished at least one cycle of classes. Golf doesn't have to be expensive. It definitely can be, but that's a matter of choice.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 12:10 pm
here is where the EXPENSES of golf start , i believe Laughing

clubhouse at the ocean sands golf club

http://z.about.com/d/honeymoons/1/0/2/a/12Clubhouse.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 12:51 pm
I have an idea! Rent or buy a copy of Spinal Tap. Things kept happening to the drummers. The kept exploding in the middle of performances, or something like that.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 01:50 pm
I've made a lot of calls today and learned a lot.

Notably - the Mo is not too young for drums but that he is too old for a junior drum kit and that you should learn on acoustic drums then move to electronic drums.

I also learned that Mo's old guitar teacher is now also teaching precussion and that the school is looking to open a branch in my area! I wrote Teacher an email asking a lot of questions about the information I've learned today and I am waiting to hear back.

So.

BANG BANG BANG
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 02:51 pm
never learned to play an instrument ... but i've always enjoyed a good drum battle ... as between GENE KRUPA AND BUDDY RICH (here on youtube)
hbg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 04:39 pm
Man o man. Those guys were cool.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 06:43 pm
Quote:
Those guys were cool.

i can just sit there and spend an hour listening to all the drum solos and battles - great stuff - wonderful time waste Shocked Laughing
hbg
0 Replies