Any advice on buying drums?

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:51 am
Mo wants drums for his birthday and I don't know a darn thing about buying drums. I found this on craigslist:

Quote:
This is a brand New Percussion Plus 5-piece Junior Drumkit. 8" and 10 mounted toms, 13" Floor Tom, 16" bass drum, 12" snare. I've customized the bass with a new sound hole and a Remo Muff'ls Sound Control ring and tweaked out the snare. Sounds GREAT! Comes complete with Snare stand, Bass pedal, Hihat stand and mounting hardware. Junior sized throne, Hihat cymbals and 10" crash cymbal also included. Also throwing in free tuning key, junior sized drumsticks and standard sized drumsticks.

Price is firm, Cash only please, blowing this out!

thanks!

http://images.craigslist.org/010108010208010406200801123b227a75cb2c230a1d00e12a.jpg

Does this look like a decent set for a beginner?

Or, if you have time, here is a list of drums currently for sale on craigslist: http://portland.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=drums&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,114 • Replies: 49
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:56 am
I just noticed the price isn't listed in that post -- they are $290
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:40 am
i don't know the first thing either, but i do hope you have a sound proof basement!

amigo is a drummer, and panzade and BPB would know too, i figger.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:42 am
Yes, we have had the noise debate and have decided that music is too good to know to really discourage his interests.

I was hoping some of the musicians might be around this morning with some help. It's still early.....
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:46 am
I tried to go get my nephew a drum set once (it was free), but my Sis flattened the tires on my truck, and hid my keys....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:52 am
i agree, boomer, that interest in music should be encouraged by all means. still, yer a brave soul! mo is a very lucky kid to have you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:53 am
How long has Mo been taking drum lessons? what does his teacher recommend/suggest?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:54 am
Ha!

I know there is most likely a huge group of people who think I've lost my mind but Mo likes music and right now he's into drums (I think because it is an option in school). Plus, he still picks up and plays his guitar almost daily so.....

Anyway.

Drums seem like a good idea.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:58 am
That "ha" was to Rockhead.

He is not yet taking drum lessons.

Yet.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 12:02 pm
you haven't lost your mind at all. you're a great mama. i'd like to think i would do the same. can't wait for Mo to be a rockstar. he'll have a whole elderly fanclub.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 12:25 pm
I am a drummer and I buy alot of used music equipment. Take that make and model and google it and you will get retail and used prices.

Alot of times they say they "gotta sale today" so you think you have scored a good deal and better buy it as soon a possible.

The best thing about this deal even if it isn't the best deal (it could be) is that you get everything you need and it's for a kid.

But if you buy one of those kid toy drum sets alot of times they break quick and get old quick.

P.S. if you want to be cool call it a "drum kit".
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:00 pm
Amigo wrote:
I am a drummer and I buy alot of used music equipment. Take that make and model and google it and you will get retail and used prices.

Alot of times they say they "gotta sale today" so you think you have scored a good deal and better buy it as soon a possible.

The best thing about this deal even if it isn't the best deal (it could be) is that you get everything you need and it's for a kid.

But if you buy one of those kid toy drum sets alot of times they break quick and get old quick.

And you're considering this to be a negative?
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:05 pm
don't forget to consider your neighbors when placing the drums
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:09 pm
roger wrote:
Amigo wrote:

And you're considering this to be a negative?
Very funny. Smile
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 02:53 pm
one thing that should be considered is mo's HEARING !
there are more and more young people suffering from impaired hearing due to excessive exposure to high noise levels .
i would suggest that an accredited music-teacher should be the best one to give advice both on an appropriate drum kit and on how to avoid hearing impairment .
i don't think buying any musical instrument by price will give the best bargain , but a good used set will be better than a less expensive new one .
mo may thank you for your consideration in a few years .
hbg
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:16 pm
I was going to say the same thing not about the hearing but about a good used drum set as opposed to a cheap new one.

Good drums don't get old and will outlast cheap new ones. Also they will last till (and be good enough) till the kid starts playing with his freinds.

The kid does not need crash symbols yet. He only needs the very basics. So good used basic is MUCH better then a big cheap new set whith noisy bells and wistles.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:30 pm
I've been a working musician for 30 years and I'll say this for a fact.

Spend the extra money for an electronic kit and a set of headphones or you will never survive!

Electronic kits are not only way quieter, they allow you to input iPods etc to jam along with, all in relative silence.

Electronic kits also include all sorts of built-in different sounds such as percussion and horns and keyboards etc as well as many built-in rhythms and a metronome etc. Plus you can record your parts using only the machine itself and thus compose complete tunes with no extra gear needed.

In the end, the electronic kit is not only going to save your sanity but it will end up costing less than an acoustic kit due to all the added versatility.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:38 pm
Chumly, is totally right I forgot all about that. The get him a set of bogos to.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:54 pm
Hey Amigo acoustic hand percussion can be fun and it won't rip the house down!

Here is the best forum for Electronic Drums. These cats are it! http://vdrums.com/forum/
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 04:06 pm
Thanks, really. That will come in handy.
0 Replies