Ron Paul geeks rally in World of Warcraft

Amigo

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 04:56 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Amigo wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
It is not that weird. Ron Paul is the latest in a line of fringe candidates.

He will be an amusing sideshow for a little while, then he will fade away.
A 6 Million dollar sideshow with a 10% showing?

I think it is formidable discontent rather then a sideshow and it will find an avenue.

He didn't hit 10% even in New Hampshire (which is over 95% white and has as big a libertarian population as any other state).

He is polling about 5% in Texas and South Carolina.

I don't think he gets anywhere near 10% nationwide.

But don't get me wrong.. I am still rooting for the guy.

Do you think we can get him to run third party in the general election?
That depends on how much his own party sabotages him and how he handles his white nationalist support.

And if he makes it past that his imigration policy will due him in or start a bloody mess.

But I have a feeling we are all going to be wrong alot this election. Dueces are wild this year.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 05:12 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Only 34% of caucus-goers voted on the republican side. Of these voters, 10% voted for Paul (implying the percentage in participants is far less than 10%).

Um. I took Amigo saying Paul had "a 10% showing" referred to getting 10% in the Republican race. Kinda like how when you wrote, in your answer to his post, that Paul "is polling about 5% in Texas and South Carolina," you were also talking about 5% in the Republican race.

But sure, he got much less than 10% of the total of caucusers of both parties together.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 05:42 pm
Ron Paul's 10% In Iowa Shocks Establishment Media

Even Fox News' own talking heads think decision to exclude from presidential forum should be reversed

Ron Paul's double digit support in Iowa has shocked establishment media figures who have long derided the Congressman as an insignificant candidate with just 2 or 3 per cent of the vote. Even Fox News' own talking heads now agree that Paul should not be excluded from the upcoming presidential forum as campaign momentum builds.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/january2008/010408_shocks_media.htm
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 09:21 pm
bump.
Ron Paul....FTW.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 06:22 am
Amigo wrote:

Even Fox News' own talking heads think decision to exclude from presidential forum should be reversed

Ron Paul's double digit support in Iowa has shocked establishment media figures who have long derided the Congressman as an insignificant candidate with just 2 or 3 per cent of the vote. Even Fox News' own talking heads now agree that Paul should not be excluded from the upcoming presidential forum as campaign momentum builds.

Did you see the Republican debate last night?

Ron Paul didn't give much respect to the prison planet (9/11 truth) people. He said he didn't believe it and if "they" want to help his candidacy, they will just stop it.

I winced a bit when he was asked the question, and was a bit surprised when he chose to push these people away like that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 05:36 pm
nimh wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Yeah, Revel just posted that.

Really? I can't seem to find it. But wait, I forgot you are a multi-dimensional A2Ker and not bound to the limitations of a single thread.

Paul has since distanced himself from the comments and claims he has no idea who the source might be. I believe him without reservation, but it does call into question the "adorabilty" of his supporters.

Paul is a very interesting and even likeable character, but he would make a terrible president. The things he says are attractive because they, at a very basic level, seem sensible and they challenge convention. The problem is that just about everything he purposes is facile and cannot ever come to be.

In addition he is just the sort of "leader" who is likely to be used as a figurehead by less principled and more opportunistic individuals.

He's a gadfly, something of a kook and utterly unqualified to be the president of the US.

His followers are a strange mixed-bag of cultish misfits. These are not the Young Lions of the 21st century. Maybe the Magpies of 2008. They are, to me, creepy (and I have no problem with Warcraft or other near cyber realities). They seem to be the children of Lyndon Laruche supporters.

In the sort of sci-fi world that I suspect his supporters feel comfortable, Paul is the secondary character that leads to the apocolypse.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 06:20 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
nimh wrote:
Yeah, Revel just posted that.

Really? I can't seem to find it. But wait, I forgot you are a multi-dimensional A2Ker and not bound to the limitations of a single thread.

Right on page 1 of this thread actually. The page before you posted about it.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 07:25 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Amigo wrote:

Did you see the Republican debate last night?

Ron Paul didn't give much respect to the prison planet (9/11 truth) people. He said he didn't believe it and if "they" want to help his candidacy, they will just stop it.

I winced a bit when he was asked the question, and was a bit surprised when he chose to push these people away like that.
I am a 9/11 truth guy and I say very good move Paul.

If presidential candidates were honest we would get what we voted for.

They will all say what the polls tell them too. (and do what the lobbyist pay them to do.)What they say, do and believe are three different things.

I will look for footage online. Thanks for letting me now about it. I'm watching it now. Oooohhhh boy, The republicans have a TRUE maverick on their hands. you, Brown, have to admit this guy is good. He has got their feet to the fire.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:00 pm
Indeed.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 10:16 pm
I am of two minds about the guy. He is a complete nut and many of his disciples are complete nuts.

He would be a disaster if he ever won-- but fortunately (in spite of what the members of the Ron Paul cult say) he has no chance.

That being said, he is right to push the Republicans on the war... and his being a general pain in the ass to the Republicans on this and other issues is definitely not a bad thing for those of us in the Democrat camp.

But do the Ron Paul acolytes need to be so annoying?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 10:26 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I am of two minds about the guy. He is a complete nut and many of his disciples are complete nuts.

He would be a disaster if he ever won-- but fortunately (in spite of what the members of the Ron Paul cult say) he has no chance.

That being said, he is right to push the Republicans on the war... and his being a general pain in the ass to the Republicans on this and other issues is definitely not a bad thing for those of us in the Democrat camp.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that Paul only steals Republican votes.

He happens to consider himself a Republican, but many of his followers do not.

To the extent that he has any number of followers who believe 9/11 was a sham perpetrated by the US government, does anyone think these people were inclined to vote Republican if Paul wasn't in the race?

He is an equal opportunity spoiler.

He's skimming off the strange and this isn't such a bad thing. Better to let them shoot their wad in his pouch than to have them influence the election of a viable candidate.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 10:32 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

For that there is no cure.

I have had to stand by some very goofy people.

They are at the beginning of every "fringe" cause, then as it gains popularity there disappear.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 02:54 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
They're crazy! Ron Paul supporters are crazy! If in an adorably geeky way.. Laughing

Quote:
Ron Paul's World of Warcraft rally

On New Year's day supporters of Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul gathered on the Whisperwind (US) realm in World of Warcraft to march across Azeroth and show their support for their candidate of choice. The rally started outside Ironforge with approximately 240 players (with 400 members in their RP Revolution guild) and traveled to Stormwind, Westfall, Booty Bay, Ratchet, and finally Orgrimmar. And if you didn't make it, you can still experience the rally vicariously via our image gallery .. or video [..]!

To the best of our knowledge, this was the first political rally to be held in World of Warcraft -- and looking at their numbers it seems to have been a successful and upbeat gathering (or at least it was upbeat for the participants). Will this event help Ron Paul's chances in the election? It's hard to say until the votes are cast, but the uniqueness of the event is causing it to get a lot of media coverage. [..]

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.wowinsider.com/media/2008/01/ronpaul05.jpg

The real question here is whether voters notice or care what happens in a video game. OC Register spoke with political analyst Sherry Bebitch Jeffe, who commented that "the rally will likely only bring the name 'Ron Paul' to the minds of young people, who... are not likely to vote in elections." And even if the event brings Paul's name to the attention of the mass media, will voters take a game-based rally seriously?

But if these become more common (and as games become larger and larger -- with over nine million people in World of Warcraft, it's become a legitimate social space), voters and politicians will have to take notice. GamePolitics comments that, "While some may have found the Ron Paul event silly, inconsequential or simply annoying, my take is that it was a most unique way to harness the social and political potential of the game space." [..] So will we be seeing more of these in the future? One of the event organizers, lemur, says:

The RP Revolution guild is on Whisperwind to stay! We made so many wonderful friends, and had a blast being together in a guild where we could intelligently discuss the world's problems with likeminded folks. Most of our members came from other servers, and many (including myself) are now considering moving our mains there. It's highly likely that many of those who joined with the free trial will be staying with the game as well.
While we may be on the verge of a new political landscape that takes gamers seriously as a demographic, players on the Whisperwind realm aren't thrilled about all the attention. The influx of new players caused a queue to log on to the realm as well as extensive lag in the areas they rally ran through. Some players have gone so far as to demand the banning of all accounts participating in the rally -- because it disrupted their gameplay experience and brought real world politics into a fantasy world that many use to get away from real life concerns. However, the official terms of use don't seem to support this as a bannable offense [..]. And in the end, the rally seems to have been okayed by at least one GM (again, per event organizer lemur).

I remember back sometime around then (meaning when you originally posted this) there was a really bad ninja-ing of some gear -- had the whole planet stunned -- and after the thief was kicked out of his guild he joined a guild called "Ron Paul for President".

Wasn't these Ron Paul guys in your article though -- was a completely different server.
0 Replies