Family Pet

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 06:39 pm
I guess I should mention there are earlier threads on this subject in the Pets and Garden forum...
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 06:56 pm
I thought I remembered seeing another osso...

MMS - Mojo is adorable...sweet face. Very Happy
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:23 pm
Mismi wrote:

Quote:
MMS - Mojo is adorable...sweet face.

She is...lol Thank you

It's like you mentioned, it's as having another child. She gets her treats, her baths, her bed, and just about anything else she wants...

I have had dogs plenty throughout my life, but don't think I've ever been as attached to one till she come along.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:33 pm
Awesome pics and this animal lover is enjoying this thread :-D
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:55 pm
I realize that finding a breed that is good with children is important. Are there any other criteria you're looking for?

BTW, That is an octopus that Marty is playing with. He is a great dog but his barking at passerbyers is really annoying.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:05 am
Ah, I thought it looked like an optopus! Laughing
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 09:38 pm
maporsche wrote:
I own 2 labs, 3 years old and 8 month old.

They are the friendliest breed of dogs I've ever seen. My dogs would sooner lick you to death than bite you.

They do have a lot of energy though (at least the 8 month old does).

Your labs are beautiful. I had 2 male labs. One English and One Amercian breed. The American one (Sam) died a few months ago. (Still cry easy over that one, so we won't go there!)

Anyhow..... Labs are so playful and I want my current lab to have the companionship when I am not home. So I think this spring, I will look into getting another one. Might try a chocolate one this time.

But truly, Labs are soooooo loving. They are especially protective ( in a good way) around small children.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 10:57 pm
I just had a lengthy conversation with a patient this week who has been a dog trainer for 20 years. I asked her what she thought and her first response was a springer spaniel. She said they're great with kids and low maintenance.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 02:14 am
Did Jodie ever return to check out these terrific suggestions?
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:12 pm
martybarker,

Thanks for asking the patient who has been a dog trainer. Springer Spaniels are beautiful dogs. I would like a pet that is low maintenance because I don't have a lot of free time.
Thanks everyone for the information about dogs. Those pictures are just beautiful. It makes me want one of each.
Does anyone know anything about a Cocker Spaniel? Come to think of it their probably not low maintenance because I have heard sometimes they have ear problems.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:29 pm
jodie, make sure you think it through carefully. If you don't have much time on your hands, maybe a dog wouldn't be such a good idea.

Some dogs require more work than others, but they are all a lot of work.

The only reason I don't have a dog is because I don't have the time to care for one.

Not trying to put a damper on things, but just want you to be aware of what you're getting into.

Dogs need lots of attention.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:37 pm
Hi Jodie,

I've had a Cocker also, he was the most playful thing, very protective to a fault though. He did not allow other children to play around my oldest son, he'd would chase them down with intentions to bite. We would have to watch him closely with others....

His name was Sampson, and he was a beauty, very intelligent, and hyper....I never noticed ear problems with Sampson though.

I actually found him at the humane society having been overlooked because he was one big fur ball caked with mud. Very tangled mess, I stood studying him to figure out exactly what breed he was. (thats how big a mess he was) I took him home, bathed him and clipped him and brought him back out to show everyone what I had found. Everyone was in disbelief....

So...Cockers can make some great pets, but there is an up-keep on them where their fur is concerned because they have to be clipped and they require a ton of attention.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 06:53 pm
My son and dil have two cocker spaniels. One of them ran up $3300 in vet bills between May and October because of ear problems. His brother specializes in allergies.

They also have to be groomed because the long hair snarls.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:45 pm
The dog trainer I spoke with had a suggestion for me regarding little Marty Barker's barking issues. She said that every time he barks, spray him in the mouth with dilute vinegar. He definitely doesn't like vinegar.

Thought I'd share that little hint.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 04:27 pm
martybarker wrote:
"little Marty Barker's barking issues" ...

That made me smile, marty.

He's such an irresistable looking beastie! Very Happy
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 10:12 pm
He's a great companion, helped me get through some rough time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 10:20 pm
Pacco could bark with the best but in one house, it was quite a number of feet from neighbors, and in this one, I live in dogville, surrounded by barkers. Mostly they quiet down at night. I sort of like the barking.

Agreeing that dogs can be both expensive and involve work.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 10:23 pm
Osso wrote:
Quote:
Agreeing that dogs can be both expensive and involve work.

Yeah, but they sure make you smile when you least expect and never ask for much but some attention...lol
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 10:40 pm
http://photos-364.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v166/153/5/697154364/n697154364_530613_5235.jpg

This is Krispin, our 15 year old English cocker spaniel. He has slowed down, but only in the last 3 years or so. He was definitely high energy and headstrong. He is his own master. My dad raised him as his equal. He goes on walks without a leash, often goes to walk himself (small old-time suburb where everybody knows everybody). He is deaf now, but does not seem to mind one bit.

I would not get a cocker if you don't have much time. They are very social. In fact, to be direct and honest, I would not get a dog if I didn't have much time. It's not fair to the pup. Any pup. THere is no dog that will enjoy being alone for hours on end.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 10:47 pm
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/dagmaraka/IMG_0066.jpg

And this is Krispin as a young pup.
0 Replies