"Knock-off" Coach purse online?

Buffalo

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:12 pm
Where can my wife buy a "knock-off" Coach purse online?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 28,689 • Replies: 42
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:11 am
Somewhere illegal, I guess. Pal, this is the wrong place to ask that question! Or perhaps the wrong way to word it -- there are plenty of warnings on the Web that many Coach items sold as genuine on a certain very well-known auction site are actually fakes. (Is that what you mean by "knock-off"?)

Anyone who knows the difference will spot that it's a fake and your wife will be embarassed and if you told her it was real she will find out you are a cheapskate. Pony up for the real thing in a store, man! Don't be cheap.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:15 am
Amazingly, I have to agree with contrex.

I once had someone give me an item I though was the real McCoy. I was thrilled they thought so much of me to gift me with such a high quality item.

Some time later, I was wearing it out on a date with a man who specialized in such items. He told me I looked great that night, but why was I ruining the the effect by wearing a fake (insert item).

I was mortified. Partly because I had thought I was wearing the genuine article, and now appeared ignorant in front of this person (I would have worn it anyway if I'd known it was fake, but then I could have truthfully told him "Yes, I know, but it's still fun to wear")

Mostly though, my heart fell through the floor knowing that someone who was supposed to love me and think highly of me chose to lead me to believe they were giving me something rare.

If the giver had said...."don't get too excited, this is a knock off" I would have been fine. But, they gave me an item and let me go on about how special I felt that they thought so much of me.

Bottom line, if your intent is to tell her it's a knock off, fine....but don't try to fool her.
0 Replies

Buffalo

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:24 am
Please keep in mind that, first, my wife is the one looking for this purse (as the question was originally asked). Second, she doesn't want an illegal item that is being sold as the real-deal. She likes the looks of a specific Coach purse and wants to purchase one like it. She does not want to spend $300+ on a purse though.

So, maybe I should rephrase the original question to....
Does anyone know of a good website to purchase inexpensive purses online?

Thanks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:32 am
I Googled "Coach handbag look alikes" and came up with a bunch of hits.

Try this:

http://www.fashionknockoffs.com/fashion/pages/Bydesigner/index.html
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:36 am
I apologize buffalo...I didn't read carefully enough.

Yes, indeed you were saying your wife wanted to buy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:47 am
I did not hear him say he was trying to be sneaky either by purchasing a fake bag for his wife.

Again, contrex jumps the line.

When someone is searching to buy a knock off item, they have to be VERY careful on the internet that they are not being scammed.

Right up there with the Nigerian scam is the 'replica' scams.

Instead of going online, I would start searching small local stores.
Dollar general type stores honestly..

But to find a specific type, I would have no suggestion other then to be careful.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:02 am
Try ebay! Most of their "original" purses are fake.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:04 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I did not hear him say he was trying to be sneaky either by purchasing a fake bag for his wife.

I know, I'm still waking up and was fooled by the devil.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:46 am
Chai wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:

I know, I'm still waking up and was fooled by the devil.

Well, Chai, since you were gracious enough to agree with me, even though I was wrong, I will return the favour and apologise for not (a) reading the original poster's question properly, and (perhaps) (b) not understanding what the US slang term "knockoff" means. In UK slang, a "knocked off" thing is a stolen thing, and I always understood that the US term "knockoff" meant a fake copy. (Here in Europe you get street sellers, often illegal immigrants, illegally selling fake designer -- e.g. Gucci -- stuff.) I am supported in this by no less an authority than Princeton University, which says in their Wordnet online dictionary that "knockoff" means "clone (an unauthorized copy or imitation)". It must mean something else altogether! It is illegal to sell fake, countefeit designer items in most jurisdictions, and you obviously lose all consumer protection afforded by the law when you buy such things. I would not transfer funds online to criminals for obvious reasons.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:55 am
Thank you contrex, for pointing out it is illegal. Next topic: do not cross the street unless in a crosswalk!

Ebay, Ebay, Ebay.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:11 am
Ok guys, do what you want. I was just pointing out that a person prepared to break the law by selling fake goods won't have too many worries about not sending you the goods that you paid for.

I bet you guys wouldn't say "Illegal, so what?" about some poor family of Mexicans you found out about. You'd be on the phone to the cops in a flash. Still, diff'rent strokes...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:04 pm
contrex wrote:

Well, Chai, since >.......snip.......< I would not transfer funds online to criminals for obvious reasons.

Well, first off, here in america it is not illegal to sell a "knock off".
Secondly in america Knock off does not mean stolen or illegal.
Though some knock off's CAN be stolen, but so can the real thing.
People sell stolen stuff all the time. They dont limit themselves to only knock offs..
That goes for all people in any country.
And knock off bags dont have anything to do with illegal people, but if you want to
throw all of your anti-american personal issues into one sentance so be it.

Knock off items are sold everywhere here.
Gas stations carry knock off watches.
Cheap stores carry knock off clothes.
Sales boothes carry knock off bags.

I dont personally see the reason for spending several hundred dollars on a damn handbag
myself and understand why people buy knock offs.
I have better , more important things to do with my money then dump 1,000
into a handbag just because I want someone to see me carrying it.
Personally, I refuse to be a walking commercial by " having to have the next big thing"
Anyone ever take a really good look at designer items?
Coco-channel bags SAY coco-channel..

last I checked, that was advertisement..
Im not going to pay a thousand or more dollarsto advertise for someone else

... I think people should pay ME to advertise their crap..

Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:14 pm
Quote:

shewolfnm- No it isn't illegal. The problem is that there are some unscrupulous people who attempt to pass off knock offs as the real thing.

I never could figure what the big deal was with handbags. Maybe it's because I carry one only when I am wearing something dressy and don't want to look like my hips have grown sideways! Laughing

I never spend more than $25 on a bag. The few that I have are years old.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:16 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

Says who? It is against the law to import fake designer goods and sell them in EU countries along with Canada and The USA. Illegal designer counterfeits are a billion dollar industry and is used as a way to launder illegal drug trade money, to fund terrorist groups, and almost any other criminal activity you can imagine.

Quote:
Coco-channel bags SAY coco-channel..

The fakes maybe! Real ones say nothing, they cannot speak, but they have "Coco Chanel" (A woman's name) pronted on them.

Changing the spelling slightly, the "cocoa channel" sounds like something you'd find on Bareback Mountain! (Around the back)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:29 pm
[quote="contrex"I bet you guys wouldn't say "Illegal, so what?" about some poor family of Mexicans you found out about. You'd be on the phone to the cops in a flash. Still, diff'rent strokes...[/quote]

Actually, you'd lose that bet.

Where shewolf and I live, if we called the cops every time we noticed someone (read Mexicans) selling stuff we thought were knockoffs, the police would have taken away our phone privileges long ago.

contrex, you've really got to come to the U.S. some time and spend about 2 or 3 months with a real family....just about every negative preconception you have would be blown to bits.

Hey shewolf, get ready, I'm coming over in a bit, and we can gather up a couple of truck loads of illegals and drop them off at edge of town. Then we'll go and eat some processed food and wipe our mouths on our sleeves. But remember, I gotta be home in time to haul those truck tires off my porch and pitch them over the fence in my neighbors yard. Otherwise I'll get beat with a switch and hafta make biscuits.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:57 pm
Chai wrote:
Actually, you'd lose that bet.

I was responding to another poster's "illegal? So what?" query by suggesting that many of the blowhards I see on here would have no hesitation about calling in a family of "illegal" immigrants that they found out about.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:58 pm
So those Mexicans went sent to prison because they never knew some posters here? And Contrex is right that trafficking in counterfeit goods is illegal in the U.S. and most other countries.

Quote:
The First Circuit Court of Appeals has affirmed the convictions and sentencing of Nelson Acevedo-Cruz and his wife Noraida Beltran ...........on multiple counts of conspiracy to infringe copyright, trafficking in counterfeit labels, and trafficking in counterfeit goods or services.[.......]The Court of Appeals affirmed the sentences which were below the guideline ranges of 63-78 months for Acevedo and 41-51 months for Beltran. The decision is reported as U.S. v. Beltran, 2007 WL 2685157 (1st Cir. Sept. 14, 2007).

http://www.counterfeitlawblog.com/archives/cat-sentences.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 02:02 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

It actually is.

In the U.S., you can not only be charged and convicted for selling knock-offs, but also for buying them.

This doesn't necessarily apply to things designed to look somewhat like a designer product - but if it's meant to look exactly like the item, and has tags that look like the real ones - yup, it can mean serious charges.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 02:28 pm
ehBeth wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:

It actually is.

In the U.S., you can not only be charged and convicted for selling knock-offs, but also for buying them.

This doesn't necessarily apply to things designed to look somewhat like a designer product - but if it's meant to look exactly like the item, and has tags that look like the real ones - yup, it can mean serious charges.

Of course it's illegal not only for "exact" lookalikes but also for general designs; Van Kleef just sued copiers of its designs, including Heidi Klum, even though they weren't signing their products with Van Kleef's name.
http://counterfeitchic.com/klum.pdf
They also sued eBay, where only 5% of products alleged to originate with Van Kleef were found to be actually theirs.

Knockoffs of trademarked / patented goods are technically stolen property and anyone who knowingly buys stolen property is legally guilty of a crime. It's incredible that more people don't know this...

Buffalo - you meant to look for low-priced Coach bags online? That's a reliable site: http://auctions.overstock.com/cgi-bin/auctions.cgi?PAGE=static&pagenum=121532&cid=104458
0 Replies