Homemade pasta sauces, your favorites

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:36 pm
will try that, lilK... I don't use mushrooms that much, for no good reason.

I will, I will....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:47 pm
Swimpy wrote:
I'm not a big fan of cooked tomato sauces. My favorite pasta sauce uses fresh tomatoes (in season, canned diced out of season.) It's a recipe from Martha Stewart. I might have posted it before, but here it is again:

Spaghetti with Uncooked Tomato Sauce

2 lbs very ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped. ( I usually don't bother peeling.)
1 small onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
Course salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 lb spaghetti
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Let it sit at room temp for 1 hour.

Toss cooked pasta with the sause and serve with Parmesan cheese.

That's similar to one we used to do, really good with garden tomatoes. (we didn't do the onion and much more garlic).

Which reminds me of this bruschetta...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:57 pm
I'm not a big fan of tomato sauces either. The missus likes them, though, so I want to find one that I'm into.

That's the way we used to make quick summer pasta in California where there were lots of cheap and ripe-to-bursting Roma tomatoes around. For my money, though, it's not going to work with hothouse ripe tomatoes we get out here, especially early and late in the tomato season.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:58 pm
I like the salsa fresca idea too. Especially when there are very ripe summer tomatoes to be had.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:05 pm
So we all agree on salsa fresca. With us it was just chopped tomatoes in sizzling olive oil and lots of garlic, and plenty of basil at the end as you turned the flame off. Parmigiano if we had it, on the side.

My thing about tomato sauces, re distaste, is re the tomato paste taste.... not that anyone has to agree with me, but it near makes me reel.

Marcella's, early in the thread, has hardly any tomato in it - it's a meat sauce. Not to push it, but, let's say, I've not had it in any restaurant.

I have been to Bologna, but on a budget, and we had some tortellini at some caffe, don't remember a sauce, slight, whatever it was.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:09 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Swimpy wrote:
I'm not a big fan of cooked tomato sauces. My favorite pasta sauce uses fresh tomatoes (in season, canned diced out of season.) It's a recipe from Martha Stewart. I might have posted it before, but here it is again:

Spaghetti with Uncooked Tomato Sauce

2 lbs very ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped. ( I usually don't bother peeling.)
1 small onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
Course salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 lb spaghetti
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Let it sit at room temp for 1 hour.

Toss cooked pasta with the sause and serve with Parmesan cheese.

That's similar to one we used to do, really good with garden tomatoes. (we didn't do the onion and much more garlic).

Which reminds me of this bruschetta...

We have waited patiently dammit....

Out with the Brushetta, immediately, please Osso...

I can make THAT here....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:21 pm
That's easy, if you have good ciabatta, or ciambatta, as it were.

Slice horizontally into two slipper like pads of good bread.

(A friend, who taught us about this, cooked ital sausages on the bbg, and then put the bread face down on it.) I don't do that, not having a bbq.

But, anyway, good, really good bread, sliced horizontally. If there's a big bump in the top of the bread, I'd get rid of that, so you have two flattish slippers.

Then take a can of chopped ital tomatoes and drain it. Or two, depends on the bread size and can size.

Take seven or eight or whatever cloves of garlic, even the whole bulb, go for it, and peel and chop them.

Distribute the tomatoes on the bread. Distribute the garlic, and salt and pepper.

Freely drizzle reasonably good olive oil over.

Grill or broil or bake very hot until the whole thing is sizzling (baking is what I've done, in v. hot oven).

While slicing with big shears, ward off all comers. Then pass the plate.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:21 pm
patiodog wrote:
Anybody got a good simple tomatoes and peppers sort of homemade sauce -- easy, healthy, versatile?

How about only red peppers?

2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup red peppers roasted and peeled*
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

In a blender combine all ingredients and blend at a high speed until
creamy and smooth. Finished.

*) cut the bell peppers in half, remove all seeds. Place peppers - cut side down - on baking sheet. Place under preheated boiler until the skin blisters and turns a deep brown. Remove from broiler and place peppers in plastic or paper bag. Seal it and let them steam for 10 minutes, then remove from bag and peel of the skin.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:26 pm
Tis Kansas, BBQ grills in abundance...

many thanks....

Bruschetta with my lasagna.

Happy New Year to good kooks everywhere....

RH
0 Replies

ossobuco

memorizing... I could do that!
0 Replies

jespah

Bookmarking as I tend to toss in vegs and stuff which is sorta part of the sauce and sorta not.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:27 pm
Little restaurant I used to go to four two things (everything else on the menu was cheaply rich and mediocre): the spaghetti alla fungi

-- which was nothing other than some local mushroom I've never seen anywhere else (I suspect the owner grew them as sort of a hobby), white wine, olive oil, and garlic and maybe a little clam sauce and maybe a sliver of sundried tomato added to the mixture on the stove and removed before plating --

and bread pudding

--made from day-old ciabatta, some sweet wine, and some liquor with an anise tinge to it, and whole milk.

And the house red was always decent and cheap.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:29 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Anybody got a good simple tomatoes and peppers sort of homemade sauce -- easy, healthy, versatile?

How about only red peppers?

2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup red peppers roasted and peeled*
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

In a blender combine all ingredients and blend at a high speed until
creamy and smooth. Finished.

*) cut the bell peppers in half, remove all seeds. Place peppers - cut side down - on baking sheet. Place under preheated boiler until the skin blisters and turns a deep brown. Remove from broiler and place peppers in plastic or paper bag. Seal it and let them steam for 10 minutes, then remove from bag and peel of the skin.

Sounds interesting. Will give it a shot. (Will have to procure a jolt of good fresh olive oil.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:31 pm
frowns, I need to know about this ---

and bread pudding

--made from day-old ciabatta, some sweet wine, and some liquor with an anise tinge to it, and whole milk.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:32 pm
My mouth is watering, patiodog. Oh yum!

I notice that a few of you have mentioned using "clam juice" in your recipes. Do you mean the "juice" from tinned clams, or is it some product which can be bought? (If so, there's no sign of it here, in my neck of the woods. A possible substitute?)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:34 pm
patiodog, every grocery store has already good olive oil, just make sure it's cold pressed and virgin. Hell, you can toss the virgin out, but it's got to be
cold pressed. Trader Joe's has the cheapest and best.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:37 pm
Clam juice, such as it is, comes in small bottles here for not too much money, and then there is the juice that comes in the can with clams. No doubt real clam juice is better, but I'm ignrent, dadgummit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:42 pm
ossobuco wrote:

and bread pudding

Marsala? then Sambuca?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:45 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
patiodog, every grocery store has already good olive oil, just make sure it's cold pressed and virgin. Hell, you can toss the virgin out, but it's got to be
cold pressed. Trader Joe's has the cheapest and best.

Yeah -- some of the stores don't do much turnover of olive oil, and it sits out on the shelves (and in the light) collecting dust and turning slowly rancid. May call for a trip to a more upscale store than I usually frequent. (The co-op has great local produce, but doesn't do heavy trade in usual mediterranean ingredients like olive oil.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:46 pm
ossobuco wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

and bread pudding

Marsala? then Sambuca?

Could be.

Damn it, it well could be. May have to give that a shot...
0 Replies