Homemade pasta sauces, your favorites

Swimpy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 07:24 pm
I'm not a big fan of cooked tomato sauces. My favorite pasta sauce uses fresh tomatoes (in season, canned diced out of season.) It's a recipe from Martha Stewart. I might have posted it before, but here it is again:

Spaghetti with Uncooked Tomato Sauce

2 lbs very ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped. ( I usually don't bother peeling.)
1 small onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
Course salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 lb spaghetti
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Let it sit at room temp for 1 hour.

Toss cooked pasta with the sause and serve with Parmesan cheese.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:06 pm
We like Olives, so here is a very easy and fast pasta sauce with olives,
capers, and lemon rind.

Ingredients
300g/11oz spaghetti or fettucine
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
small bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
1 tbsp capers
50g/2oz small, sweet black olives
pinch crushed chilli flakes
4tbsp olive oil
1 large garlic clove
salt and freshly ground black pepper
parmesan cheese, to serve

Method
1. Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling, salted water according to packet instructions.
2. Meanwhile, put the rind and juice from the lemon into a large serving bowl. Roughly chop the parsley and capers and add to the bowl with the olives, chilli and oil.
3. Crush in the garlic and season well.
4. Drain the pasta well and add to the bowl, tossing to mix. Shave or grate over some parmesan and serve out at the table.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:07 pm
Pasta Puttanesca

Ingredients
450g/1lb small cherry, plum or vine-ripened tomatoes
4 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 sprig of rosemary, leaves finely chopped
4 sage leaves, shredded thinly
a good pinch of dried chilli flakes, or 1 red finger chilli, seeded and finely chopped
55g/2oz salted capers, excess salt rubbed off
110g/4oz small black olives, pitted
2 x 50g/2oz cans of anchovy fillets in oil, drained and chopped
2 tbsp chopped oregano
450g/1lb dried bucatini or spaghetti
1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method
1. Bring 3.4 litre/6 pint water and 2 tbsp salt to the boil for the pasta.
2. For the sauce, squeeze the tomatoes into the sink to get rid of most of the juice, then cut each one in half.
3. Heat the oil in a pan with the garlic, rosemary and sage and cook gently for about 1 minute without browning.
4. Add the chilli, tomatoes, capers, olives, anchovies, oregano and some black pepper and leave to simmer gently for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, add the pasta to the pan of boiling water and cook for about 7 minutes or until al dente.
6. Drain and tip it into a large warmed serving bowl. Pour over the sauce, add the chopped parsley and toss together well. Serve straight away, with plenty of red wine.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:55 pm
Tomato paste, as with almost everything else today, is sweetened with HF corn syrup. They dont even cook down the tomatoes and add real cane sugar.

LOU IANERI's WHITE CLAM SAUCE

Lou Ianeri had the best seafood restaurant in the Delaware shore for years, until the noveau **** caught on and hearty food went bye bye.
I was allowed a trip to the kitchen to see
EVERYTHING FRESH IF YOU PLEASE

2 doz cherrystone clams steamed , minced and then very coarsely ground, (or else minced finely) reserve clam broth, allow it to settle so that sand is at bottom(should be about 2.5 C

2C minced onions , fry with garlic (3 cloves paper thin) till onions are clear and .

In a separate pan , fry minced celery and finnochio in olive oil, do it till the celery is a little brown and just before it burns.

1can chicken stock (homemade or some good brand of low salt , like College Inn)

Add all ingredients except the clams into a single pot and simmer for about 10 minutes. Then add 1C medium dry sherry and let it reduce about a third. Add some arrowroot to thicken according to preference.

Add clams and a generous amount of fresh grated parmesan/reggiano, or asiago, Its now ready. (its all a taste thing) Lou would shave asiago over the sauce as it was served.

Make linguini al dente and serve the sauce over it .

Lou would keep the garlic /cheese bread available for dipping cause the sauce is just right for dipping.
Serve over the linguini sided with small slices of lemon (I dont use the lemon but some of the old guys did)

The sherry was what separated this clam sauce from others Ive had at New York or Philly sauces. (The mob dukes would reportedly drive the 90 miles from Philly to Ianeris in Lewes Delaware to enjoy this)

Lou died , and his restaurant closed in the mid 1980's. Now its a B/B where they serve ENtenmans danishes and boxes of orange juice for the "continental" breakfast (blechhh).

There were some special needs people who required additional sea creatures in their sauces, like a calamari alfredo, or calamari carbonara(that one I could never figure out). But the clam sauce was the stuff that people came from far and wide to eat.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:58 pm
BM
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:02 pm
farmerman wrote:
Tomato paste, as with almost everything else today, is sweetened with HF corn syrup. They dont even cook down the tomatoes and add real cane sugar.

LOU IANERI's WHITE CLAM SAUCE

Lou Ianeri had the best seafood restaurant in the Delaware shore for years, until the noveau **** caught on and hearty food went bye bye.
I was allowed a trip to the kitchen to see
EVERYTHING FRESH IF YOU PLEASE

2 doz cherrystone clams steamed , minced and then very coarsely ground, (or else minced finely) reserve clam broth, allow it to settle so that sand is at bottom(should be about 2.5 C

2C minced onions , fry with garlic (3 cloves paper thin) till onions are clear and .

In a separate pan , fry minced celery and finnochio in olive oil, do it till the celery is a little brown and just before it burns.

1can chicken stock (homemade or some good brand of low salt , like College Inn)

Add all ingredients except the clams into a single pot and simmer for about 10 minutes. Then add 1C medium dry sherry and let it reduce about a third. Add some arrowroot to thicken according to preference.

Add clams and a generous amount of fresh grated parmesan/reggiano, or asiago, Its now ready. (its all a taste thing) Lou would shave asiago over the sauce as it was served.

Make linguini al dente and serve the sauce over it .

Lou would keep the garlic /cheese bread available for dipping cause the sauce is just right for dipping.
Serve over the linguini sided with small slices of lemon (I dont use the lemon but some of the old guys did)

The sherry was what separated this clam sauce from others Ive had at New York or Philly sauces. (The mob dukes would reportedly drive the 90 miles from Philly to Ianeris in Lewes Delaware to enjoy this)

Lou died , and his restaurant closed in the mid 1980's. Now its a B/B where they serve ENtenmans danishes and boxes of orange juice for the "continental" breakfast (blechhh).

There were some special needs people who required additional sea creatures in their sauces, like a calamari alfredo, or calamari carbonara(that one I could never figure out). But the clam sauce was the stuff that people came from far and wide to eat.

Farmerman, this is an evil thing to a man trapped alone on the prairie...

(sets out in the snow searching for "cherrystone clams")
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:04 pm
I like fresh sauces too, all welcome here, that was just a starter.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:06 pm
bookmarking

wanting that clam sauce, but dunno where the hell I'm going to get all of those fresh cherrystones in Wisconsin in the dead of winter...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:08 pm
following farmerman, but also cjane's putanesca.. or wait, I need to scroll back..not to mention how to spell putanesca
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:12 pm
I've one recipe here that some like, re clam sauce, but there is plenty of room for others...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:18 pm
Here's the recipe that makes Dys just moan... re pasta with clams, none of my doing except that I'm used to the recipe, albeit with (yak) canned clams -
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2234289#2234289

obviously better with real fresh clams.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:34 pm
Just made me miss fresh affordable seafood (oysters, crab, clams, salmon, mussels) from living out west...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:35 pm
Yeah, me too, says Eureka Girl.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:41 pm
I been in tears for an hour...

Oceans of wheat my ass...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:42 pm
...and me being out west, I just bought today some fresh mussles
and shrimps.

I've got a good mussle recipe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:47 pm
Tell us, CJ, so we can weep. Well, I could get mussels from Whole Foods if I drove ten miles, not fresh like in fresh, though...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:00 pm
While my basic pasta sauce tends to be pesto, I do make variations. Tonight I made new and improved pumpkin gnocchi with an odd, but yummy sauce.

1. I sauteed onions slowly in olive oil, added a dash of sugar to carmelize them a bit (no butter for my dad).

2. I toasted some pine nuts

3. microwaved fresh sage leaf and garlic in olive oil (I hate when the garlic gets too browned).

4. pureed the above in a processor.

5. Soaked, chopped a handful of porcini and a handful of mixed wild mushrooms. Sateed in the onion oil. Retained the liquids.

6. threw the onion puree in with the sauteeing mushrooms.

salt to taste.

We ended up adding a little pinch of chipotle pepper for a little warmth and smokiness.

Nice sauce, but a little blandish.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:07 pm
Anybody got a good simple tomatoes and peppers sort of homemade sauce -- easy, healthy, versatile?

Meantime, I'm going to sit here and think about the "yacht club" across the little baylet from the refinery in Richmond where someone motors out of their slip on mornings of holidays or weddings and buys up 60 or 70 dungeness straight from the crab boats, takes 'em back, and Harry spikes them and cleans them with a hose over a drain in the concrete, then Bob boils the halves in a big vat filled with saltwater and celery, and serve the lot up on folding tables covered with long taped-down strips of butcher paper. Thinking of Bob out there making crab in a near-gale in the winter dusk with his rain gear on and a bottle of wine parked by his feet. Good stuff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:26 pm
Osso floats away in nirvana....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:30 pm
you mean sweet red pepper? or
0 Replies