Getting ordained online??

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:26 pm
My husband heard of getting ordained online to perform marriages, baptisms, and funerals. So, he looked it up and lo and behold it is there to be had. He took a few minutes and filled out the questionaire and now is an ordained minister. It is actually valid in N.C. I had no idea that this could be done with the click of a mouse. Anyone else heard of this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,250 • Replies: 18
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:47 pm
This was going on long before the internet. Some have even used it as a tax dodge, believe it or not.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:57 am
Unfortunately, it is all too prevalent in today's society. However, having been ordained online or merely having minister's or pastor's credentials does't really make one a real minister or pastor IMO. It just makes it legal.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 06:15 pm
I think its a great thing. There are tons of people out there qualified, but just because they don't go to a Christian Seminary shouldn't mean they shouldn't have the same rights.

Of course there will be tons of people who don't do it for the right reasons, but you can't get a tax break for being ordained. The only tax benefit inherent to ministers is that sales tax on anything you purchase for an organized non-profit church is waived. You still pay income tax, social security... everything.

Getting ordained doesn't exempt you from tax. Tax evasion does.

Let it happen. Its a wonderful thing when someone self-realizes that he or she is in a position to minister to the world in their own special way. There are no real benefits to being a minister that you can abuse, and if you do abuse them the law should intervene.

I did it. I have spent the past 6 years on a pretty intense spiritual journey and I'm a natual-born teacher. Arella Mae, are you saying I don't have the right to recognized for my knowledge just because I didn't get brainwashed by an institution where they force me to regurgitate THEIR information that they gleaned from a 1700-year old bible edited by a politician? I never understood the premise that someone ELSE'S knowledge is more credible than mine.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:40 pm
Curtis...

I can't believe how much we are on the same page.

Not all people want religious ceremonies... be it marriage or a funeral. One who is ordained online can opt to be versatile depending on the party's preference. A minister of the church most likely will be performing religious ceremonies that 'heathens' like myself don't want. :wink:

Arella.... what makes a real minister or real pastor?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 03:57 am
Then use a Justice of the Peace etc. who does not perform religious ceremonies.

In Christian churches, a minister is a man or woman who serves a congregation or participates in a role in a parachurch ministry; such persons can minister as a Pastor, Preacher, Bishop, Chaplain, Deacon or Elder, or as a layperson.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:19 pm
Intrepid wrote:

That leaves a huge gap. That sounds like you're saying that religious people deserve big family loving weddings with cake and pomp, but non-religious only get a cold courtroom document signing. I think I'm filling the gap giving people the option of a non-religious ceremony with all the warmth of a religious one.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:27 pm
curtis73 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

That leaves a huge gap. That sounds like you're saying that religious people deserve big family loving weddings with cake and pomp, but non-religious only get a cold courtroom document signing. I think I'm filling the gap giving people the option of a non-religious ceremony with all the warmth of a religious one.

Not at all. You can't have it both ways.

You can still have the cake etc. etc. with a civil ceremony. How are you filling the gap? An ordination is for the religious as explained in an earlier post. Unless you are doing it for free... you are using it for monetary gain. Our church does not charge for weddings or any other ceremony.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 05:52 pm
I was under the impression that most preachers/ministers don't really charge for a ceremony... they just accept donations.
And would religiously ordained people perform gay marriages where not prohibited by law? I'm curious.. because I really don't know that answer.
An online ordained minister probably would without worry of scrutinizing eyes.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 05:56 pm
Good question. Even though we may not necessarily agree with gay marriage, we do not judge nor condemn those who wish to partake.

However, I don't really know the answer if it actually came down to have the ceremony performed.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:22 pm
Bet they wouldn't Intrepid. :wink:
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:38 am
Intrepid wrote:
An ordination is for the religious as explained in an earlier post. Unless you are doing it for free... you are using it for monetary gain. Our church does not charge for weddings or any other ceremony.

Whoa... why do you assume that ordination has anything to do with organized religion?

I've never accepted a single penny for anything I've done, nor am I affiliated with anything even vaguely resembling organized religion. I respect your views, but isn't that a remarkably narrow interpretation of ordination? Your views just seem very christian-centric.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:50 am
That is not my view. It is a fact. Look it up.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:35 am
The church that supports my husband represents all walks of life. They are a non denominational church that supports a full spectrum interfaith ministry. All they ask is that you protect the freedom of and freedom from religion and to do that which is right.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:56 am
Joey got ordained on Friends....if that doesn't tell you something...

Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:05 am
I am going to investigate that...it has been my long held belief that the world could be transformed in a positive manner were I able to minister to the people and teach the doctrine of Bearism...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:15 am
everyone had better find a comfy handbasket.....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:51 am
shewolfnm wrote:

AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That made me laugh!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:05 am
Bella Dea wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:

AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That made me laugh!

Even funnier with Bear's sig line. Laughing
0 Replies