The Boardgamers' Thread

Shapeless

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:51 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I did not even know Puerto Rico had expansions..

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12382

It has a pretty good rating on BGG, but the three reviews posted are pretty lukewarm. The expansion consists almost entirely of new buildings. From what I gather, the powers of these buildings are a little unbalanced: some give unfair advantages while others are not worth it.

Most of the people I know who have used it say that the original Puerto Rico buildings are fine in themselves and don't need tinkering (withe the possible exception of the University, which I've bought only twice in all the games I've played and whose primary function seems to be making it easier to get a functioning big building in the end game.)
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:57 am
I like Ticket to Ride because it is another non-gamer-friendly game. I have to say that I prefer the original edition (though I don't mind the 1910 expansion) to the Europe edition. I gather that the Europe edition was partly intended to encourage players to choose the locomotives more often, since there are routes on the Europe board that require them, but I've found that this simply has the effect of making bigger portions of the game consist of picking cards, which can get tiresome. In general, I play Ticket to Ride only as a warm-up game, a filler in between games, or when I am playing with non-gamers. I have not played the Swiss edition yet.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:01 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
2PacksAday wrote:
I missed this before....Witchbanger is Mr. Wolf?

Yes.

he thinks he is clever with his screen name Rolling Eyes

Heh...well...kinda cool...yeah.

Tell him I said welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:23 pm
We had an almost all-board games Christmas... Carcassonne, Balloon Cup, Hijara, Polarity, Scotland Yard... Good times!

(this is my long-winded bookmark so I remember to come back when I have time to read what-all games you guys have been talking about...)
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 12:02 pm
cyphercat wrote:
We had an almost all-board games Christmas... Carcassonne, Balloon Cup, Hijara, Polarity, Scotland Yard... Good times!

Cool! My Christmas was pretty boardgame-y too: we finally played Niagara (the 2005 Spiel des Jahres), and I'm happy to report that it's quite a clever and genuinely unique game.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 02:11 pm
Oh my. Another person who likes Balloon Cup.

Though, the mister pointed out the other day that it ALWAYS gets you stuck.

Confused hes right.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 09:50 pm
Shewolf, so getting stuck in Balloon Cup--you mean where neither person has a card that can work? we've only played three times so far, and we did notice that last time we played...only grey cards were playable, and neither of us had grey. We were wondering if it was a fluke or what... Confused
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 09:53 pm
that and since you are able to play on both sides of the table, there is no real challenge.

I f you have a card that doesnt fit on your end, just place it across the table.
Simple as that.

I didnt think about the cards situation though.. That is another good point.

But, im not tearing it apart. I do like the game..
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 09:59 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I f you have a card that doesnt fit on your end, just place it across the table.

Yeah, that's true--but the good part about that for me is that it neutralizes my horrible luck at cards... I just punish Mr C with the awful cards I always draw Laughing
0 Replies

Witchbanger

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 10:19 pm
The Grand Duke wrote:
Can anyone recommend any of these newer games that might appeal to someone who likes the above-mentioned style of game? I also play a lot of tabletop wargames so anything with lots of dice and complicated rules is fine by me.

Thanks.

PS. And hello to those I knew from my previous time on A2K.

I have played BattleLore a few times and really enjoyed it a lot. It is a simple medieval/fantasy wargame. While it is fun, I find it a bit light. Commands & Colors: Ancients (both designed by Richard Borg) is in my opinion a better game. It uses the same basic core mechanic but starts you out with a much deeper level of strategy.

I hear that adding Call to Arms and some of the other expansions to BattleLore greatly improves the game. I do really enjoy the Lore (Magic) system in BattleLore.

Both games are very good, but I still like Commands & Colors a little better.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 10:25 pm
WB, welcome to A2K, and my sincere apologies to you.

You are the most patient of souls....

RH
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 11:58 pm
Welcome, Mr. Wolf.
0 Replies

Witchbanger

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 05:02 pm
Thanks for the welcome. Though I don't know how much I will get to post. Mainly because I have to jab Shewolf with a cattle prod anytime I want to use the computer.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 06:55 pm
Dont MAKE me kick yer ass... Confused
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 06:57 pm
The Grand Duke wrote:
PS. And hello to those I knew from my previous time on A2K.

Just dropping by to say hey to The Grand Duke. You've been missed.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 10:45 am
There are so many new ones out there that I want to try out, so I felt inspired to revisit the thread. Here are the ones that I'm most interested in at the moment:

Metropolys: it sounds like one of those games where the rules are incredibly simple and the strategy incredibly subtle.

Red Dragon Inn: looks like good rollicking fun in the tradition of Munchkin.

Pandemic: looks like one of those rare one-for-all games where the players work together, competing against the game itself.
0 Replies