The Boardgamers' Thread

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:49 pm
I've happily discovered that there are a bunch of boardgamers out there in A2K land! This thread is for you. Come discuss your favorite euro-games, talk about your most recent discoveries, analyze your tried-and-true strategies (if you're willing to divulge... I sure as hell ain't), etc.

Happy gaming!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,315 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:51 pm
I'll get us started: anyone played Caylus yet? I bought it over a year ago and have only played it once, and that was an incomplete game, so I haven't really gotten a feel for it yet. It's been advertised to me as the next Puerto Rico; does it really measure up?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 07:41 am
Yeah. Now that we officially hijacked her thread with board games.. Embarrassed

Wiz War..
I loved that game and I have only played it once.
I would get another copy but it is out of print.. everynow and then someone will put it up for trade on BGG, but I can never get to it fast enough.

I have not played Caylus yet...
In fact. I have never heard of it?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 07:42 am
It gets great reviews-

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/18602
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:00 pm
Ah... Wiz War. <Insert dreamy sigh> These days it's hard to get your hands on a complete set with all the expansions and supplements, but one of my gaming buddies has 'em and we like to bust it out every now and then. The more vicious the players, the longer the game can go on... I remember one marathon session that lasted about three hours. I didn't have a chance of winning, but I was at least able to take one guy down with me: he was down to his last hit point and I took advantage of the rule whereby you are allowed, in lieu of an actual weapon, to throw any object you are currently holding at another player for one hit point of damage. So I threw the only thing I had on me: his own treasure.

Most of what I know of Caylus is through word of mouth and BGG reviews. It's supposed to be a more complicated version of Puerto Rico: it involves a lot of resource management and acquiring victory points through increasingly efficient means. As great as Puerto Rico is, it is sometimes criticized as really being a game of communal solitaire, since there is little room for interaction. Caylus supposedly improves on this somewhat, though I didn't quite get a feel for this on that one incomplete game I played. I'm looking forward to trying it again, though; there seems to be something tragic about the fact that it's such a highly regarded game and it's just sitting on my shelf collecting dust.

I'm also dying to play Die Macher, which was recently re-released (and which I just now noticed has the honor of being the first official game profile on BGG). From what I can tell, it's sort of a more politically correct version of Junta.
0 Replies

Witchbanger

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 02:44 pm
I have played a lot of Wiz-War (30 games in the last year). Great game. Chessex is supposedly working on getting the 8th edition printed, but they have been working on this for several years now. Hopefully the license will run out soon and a publisher like fantasy flight games will pick it up and do the game justice. You can preorder it now but it has once again been delayed.

I have not played Caylus yet. I also hear that the card game version Caylus Magna Carta is very good.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:23 pm
(drum-roll)

Introducing, Mr Wolf. .. Cool
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:38 pm
Just spent a wonderful New Year's vacation introducing the missus to Puerto Rico for the first time, and she loved it. I think it's a sign of good things to come.

Has anyone played with the expansion set? I've done so only once and it didn't quite catch fire with me. Except for a few nifty buildings, it seemed to replace useful stuff with less useful stuff.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 07:02 pm
I have no idea what they're saying, but I can already tell that this is the best boardgame ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHsYhORsQPo
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 07:05 pm
I have seen that commercial. Laughing

We just discovered Odin's Ravens

have you played that one?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 07:08 pm
Odin's Ravens is a good one, especially when you're playing with someone who isn't much of a gamer. It sort of straddles the line between a gamer's game and a non-gamer's game, and it's always useful to have games like that on hand.

My favorite 2-player games are Lost Cities and Clans. I'm told Kahuna is also good, though I haven't tried it yet.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 09:06 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
(drum-roll)

I missed this before....Witchbanger is Mr. Wolf?
0 Replies

The Grand Duke

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 09:19 pm
Me and a friend play lots of old-school military board-games . Our favourites are Risk, Stratego, Escape from Colditz and Battle of Britain. In fact, I don't think I've played a boardgame which has been released in the last 15 years!

Can anyone recommend any of these newer games that might appeal to someone who likes the above-mentioned style of game? I also play a lot of tabletop wargames so anything with lots of dice and complicated rules is fine by me.

Thanks.

PS. And hello to those I knew from my previous time on A2K.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:14 am
2PacksAday wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:
(drum-roll)

I think shewolf was joking that she's a witch, so...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:15 am
2PacksAday wrote:

Yes.

he thinks he is clever with his screen name Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:16 am
Shapeless wrote:

Has anyone played with the expansion set? I've done so only once and it didn't quite catch fire with me. Except for a few nifty buildings, it seemed to replace useful stuff with less useful stuff.

I did not even know Puerto Rico had expansions..

but then again, I have only played Puerto Rico.. two times? Maybe three times.. at best..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:17 am
Ticket to Ride is fun; gets better with more players.

A great card/party game is Ligretto, and it can be played with just two.

We generally try to get each year's Spiel des Jahres.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:17 am
The Grand Duke wrote:
Me and a friend play lots of old-school military board-games . .

I would suggest Wings Of War.

2 player game that.. I BELIEVE.. can be played up to 4 people?

I will peek in our closet when I get back home today and check it out for you.

You need a LARGE table for it.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:43 am
The Grand Duke wrote:
Can anyone recommend any of these newer games that might appeal to someone who likes the above-mentioned style of game? I also play a lot of tabletop wargames so anything with lots of dice and complicated rules is fine by me.

Though I have not played it yet, I've heard that Battle Lore is supposed to be a combination of military game and miniatures games, so it might be right up your alley.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:47 am
The mister I think has a copy of Battle Lore.
He took it to Great Hall Games once.. and that was it. ( if I am remembering the game correctly..)

Ticket to ride is great!

Another great two player is Mag-blast.

The first one.. not the second one..
0 Replies