Fido ain't sleeping

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 12:35 am
'Night.

We'll argue about this with good fortune on the morrow, or some time later.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:10 pm
He slept like a charm last night with the help of a bit of Benadryl.
Tonight I hope he'll sleep without it. *keep fingers crossed*
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:18 pm
Im glad to hear that the benadryl worked.

I was going to suggest chamomile used in the same fashion, but benadryl is much more effective..
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:28 pm
This thread is amazing. I, too, have been having problems with a restless animal.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:40 pm
That's an unsatisfied ewe, gus.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:41 pm
Yes, it did, thank you shewolf. Chamomile is good too!

gustav dear, what restless animal are we talking about here?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:44 pm
Oh cool, it worked :-D

Been following the thread, but I don't know much about dogs and their behaviour (cat girl) and I'm glad something helped.

Must be nice to get a good night sleep, eh Jane ;-)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:55 pm
Yes Montana, I really needed some sleep Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:58 pm
I bet! Here's hoping he sleeps tonight without anything.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 09:02 pm
CJ :
i found a site that recommends VALERIAN as a sleep aid for dogs . i'm unable to link the site , don't know why .
VALERIAN is the same as BALDRIAN , i believe . just read in a german magazine that baldrian is highly recommended as a NON-NARCOTIC sleep aid (for humans) , but that one needs to take it for an extended period of time for it to become effective .
ebeth is just visiting with cleo and bailey and they are good sleepers - DAY AND NIGHT ! they get plenty of exercise , but are on a fairly restricted diet . they do get some treats but mainly get dogfood and are quite lean - they are rescue dogs and about 8 years old .

perhaps dogs are not that different from people when it comes to sleeping , and if they need a bit of help it probably wouldn't hurt him .
a lot of our older (people) friends are on sleep medications and they seem to be doing just fine . they have been told by their doctors that getting sufficient slep is very important as one gets older - so if a little help is needed , there isn't anything wrong with it .

actually it's usually bailey who gets up from snoozing on the sofa around 10 pm and lets everyone know "it's bedtime" !
he just decided that it's time for EVERYONE to go to bed - 10 pm . he usually wakes up around 4 a.m. and wants to be let out for a pee - thereafter he sleeps until 7 or 8 am and is ready to face the day !
it's a dog's life !
hbg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 09:08 pm
Valerian root ha? I'll have to buy that, thank you hamburger.

Yeah, when dogs get old they develop all kinds of different habits.
I wouldn't mind if he roams around the house quietly, but he insists
that I have to woken up too, and whines around until I am awake.

I keep my fingers crossed for tonight! Thank you! Smile
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:01 am
Quote:
and whines around until I am awake

he probably thinks you are wasting your time just lying in bed ! get out of bed and get him some good grub Laughing - and enjoy the sight of "san diego at night" !
hbg

btw cleo suffers from "summer allergies" - the scratchies - and gets about an 1/8 of adult dose of antihistamines when required (she weighs about 20 pounds) . she enjoys the meds wrapped up in a slice of mettwurst - and bailey demands a slice too - without meds :wink: .
similarly , heart worm meds are accepted eagerly in a slice of mettwurst or with a chunck of liverwurst !
(why didn't my parents offer me my meds in a slice of mettwurst ??? it was always : "open your mouth and swallow !" )
hbg
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 07:18 pm
Our allergy dog can tell when there's a pill hidden in her food. She'll eat cardboard, but a little bit of benadryl or cephalexin and she's got the appetite of a supermodel.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 07:44 pm
Luckily, our Max gobbles down just about everything, as long as it's wrapped in liver sausage.

Male dogs are more gourmand anyways, while female dogs are the true gourmet. My last dog was female and for a good butter cookie she would
leave a juicy hamburger in her dish. She never ate much either.

Now Max here, he could eat all day long if you let him. The minute, I'll
go in the kitchen he's right there too. We had to put him on a diet a
few weeks back. Now he's begging more than ever. His sad eye routine
is Oscar worthy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 07:53 pm
I was lucky on all this, as the Pacc was a great sleeper.

I would have probably tried a fraction of a benedryl - I use only fractions for myself, in rare now cases of allergy, having weaned myself years ago from many a day... but listening.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:26 pm
A fraction of one wouldn't touch the dog we give it to for allergies. She's a wiry herding mix, though, and it takes of lot of wind-down just to sit still.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:34 pm
We have to pre-treat Bailey with Benadryl when he goes for his rabies shots.

On one occasion, I dropped the half-tablet while preparing to hide it in some kind of peanut butter/cheese combo (peanut butter on eight fingers, two of those fingers holding the tablet, then cheese on the last two fingers to trick him into swallowing). Cleo snarfed down the tablet (she'll eat anything), and we discovered it was a great way to keep her calm at the vet's. It no longer takes 4 people to hold her down to look at her teeth or give her a shot. Half a Benadryl works wonders for her.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:35 pm
And to think people use acepromazine for that. Much heavier, less predictable drug. And nowhere near as versatile.

More expensive, too.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 03:34 pm
I should give ours a half a Benadry, as he's going to the groomers
tomorrow. That's usually major anxiety followed by a three day sulking.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 04:24 pm
The sick boy was looking anxious last night. Slipped him 25 mg of benadryl, watched him get sleepy and drift off, woke up to him and the young girl wrestling for supremacy of the bed. Good stuff.
0 Replies