gungasnake

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:04 am
the religious practices which you read about during the time between the flood and Alexander all involved static electricity and they all involved trance states. And they all stopped working prior to Alexander. By the time of Christ, they were a dim memory. The only traces of such things in our present world as Jaynes noted are schizophrenia and hypnotism. By way of contrast, prophets ('nabi' in the OT) were very common at the time of Zechariah.

Again, Christ wasn't the first person to ever be heard from after he died, he was the last. Most interesting such story in the OT is the tale of Saul, Samuel, and the "witch of Endor".

Granted such practices would be termed 'paranormal' today, Rupert Sheldrake has demonstrated to a statistical certainty that 'paranormal' phenomena are real.

http://www.sheldrake.org
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:49 am
Well I don't rule out the existence of the paranormal. I just don't think we have enough knowledge about it to say when or how it was used; or for that manner how it works. Even if some ancient people were more attuned to the paranormal that doesn't mean they understood what they were dealing with.

Think of your classic NDE and see what an ignorant person (ignorant in any type of science) would make of it. How would they interpret it? Have ten people experience NDE and see if they all interpret it the same way.

If they have no understanding as to what is happening how can they relate to it except in the terms under which they live and believe.

I don't believe the Bible because of its psychopathic deity. Humans are far more loving and humane than the God found in the Bible. When I read parts of the Bible I'm seeing different authors filled with hate and vengeance. It's like reading Dante's Hell.
0 Replies

Shawanga

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 11:53 am
Re: Faith is not in competition with sense.
xingu wrote:
Shawanga wrote:

Tell us Shawanga, what advantage do you think you will get after your sojourn here has ended over those who give credit to humans and not Jesus?

The "advantage I have is the sure knowledge, that when this life is over I have a new home in Heaven.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 02:10 pm
From what I have read people who experienced Near Death Experience feel the same way and they don't have to be Christians or or believe in any religion.

I would also think that if God is suppose to be as loving and just as Christians try to make him out he would accept everyone regardless of their beliefs. After all if we secular humans can do that why do the Christians demean God by insisting God doesn't? Do you really think you will not enter Heaven if you don't believe? Do you think God will send you to Hell and eternal damnation because of your religious beliefs? Or will God case you out into a vast endless void because you didn't suck up to him?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 04:51 am
xingu wrote:
From what I have read people who experienced Near Death Experience feel the same way and they don't have to be Christians or or believe in any religion.

I would also think that if God is suppose to be as loving and just as Christians try to make him out he would accept everyone regardless of their beliefs. After all if we secular humans can do that why do the Christians demean God by insisting God doesn't? Do you really think you will not enter Heaven if you don't believe? Do you think God will send you to Hell and eternal damnation because of your religious beliefs? Or will God case you out into a vast endless void because you didn't suck up to him?
Good post. The absurdities of religious belief never cease to amaze me. That intelligent people can hold on to such rubbish is truly one of the deeper mysteries of life.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 10:21 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Good post. The absurdities of religious belief never cease to amaze me. That intelligent people can hold on to such rubbish is truly one of the deeper mysteries of life.

Fear of death makes most people fear religion, Organized religion gives them an escape clause, find god and you are forgiven, as i always say "Church is where the guilty go"
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 01:56 pm
But who makes them feel guilty; the church; religion.

How many times have we heard the old song and dance;

1. The Christian religion tells you all people are sinners. We're sinners because a talking snake (serpent) deceived a woman. God hates sinners. He punishes sinners. "Oh my God, " you scream in panic, "What do I do?" Ah, there is an easy way out.

2. Believe in Christ and God will forgive your sins. A free ticket to Heaven. You can live in his city of gold! WOW, that's almost as good as 72 virgins.

3. But if you don't believe, then GO TO HELL or where ever!

It amazes me people believe this stuff. Christians laugh at Muslims and their 72 virgins but really, really believe in the city of gold and a loving God who kills children for teasing a bald man.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 04:56 pm
Exactly, the amount of murderers who turn to god is unbelievable, their one way ticket to heaven!! they look forgiveness from a mythical being rather than seeking it from those they actually hurt. Religion is a disgrace

xingu wrote:
But who makes them feel guilty; the church; religion.

How many times have we heard the old song and dance;

1. The Christian religion tells you all people are sinners. We're sinners because a talking snake (serpent) deceived a woman. God hates sinners. He punishes sinners. "Oh my God, " you scream in panic, "What do I do?" Ah, there is an easy way out.

2. Believe in Christ and God will forgive your sins. A free ticket to Heaven. You can live in his city of gold! WOW, that's almost as good as 72 virgins.

3. But if you don't believe, then GO TO HELL or where ever!

It amazes me people believe this stuff. Christians laugh at Muslims and their 72 virgins but really, really believe in the city of gold and a loving God who kills children for teasing a bald man.
0 Replies