She's Gay? Who Cares?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 09:56 am
she is a terrific actress... what else matters?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 10:08 am
As Snood said, knowledge of the fact simply rounds her out as a person, that's all.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 11:07 am
Yeah, I don't care if she's gay. I'll watch any movie she's in because I like her as an actor.

I can understand the reason to hide in the closet and I can understand the need to make an announcement.

Some day, hopefully, being gay won't be a big deal.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 02:14 pm
sorry , but i wouldn' recognize jodie foster if she stood next to me !
i'm sure i've seen her pix in the tabloids at the checkout - but that's about it .
so she's gay ... or whatever ; does that make her a better or worse person/entertainer than anyone else - who is possibly connected with the world of hollywood ?
live and let live ! :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 02:21 pm
caribou wrote:
Yeah, I don't care if she's gay. I'll watch any movie she's in because I like her as an actor.

I can understand the reason to hide in the closet and I can understand the need to make an announcement.

Some day, hopefully, being gay won't be a big deal.

Well-put. That's about my take on it, too.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 02:26 pm
bad news bears
I always enjoyed her movies, and her preference won't change a thing.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 09:52 pm
This whole coming out of the closet thing really leaves heterosexual actors with one less thing to dwell on in one's autobiography.

I wonder if Hollywood contracts will one day stipulate not to come out of the closet for "x" number of years, so as not to hurt the future royalties?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:15 pm
Well you know the chances of her ever dating John Travolta are 0%.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:15 pm
I don't think it would have cost her any roles. Everyone has always known she was gay. I'm not even gonna bother to read the article.

****, when she was a little kid and cast as Eddie's friend in the Courtship of Eddies Fathers I knew she was gay, and I was a kid myself.

I just figured she was a private person.

Well, actually, more like "a real person" in that I wouldn't expect a neighbor or anyone I work with to make this big announcement. Like has been said, who cares?

She's one of, if not my very favorite, female actors.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:19 pm
Chai, your gaydar is almost as strong as your pimp hand.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:23 pm
why thank you slappy, what a nice thing to say.

May I use it as my signature line?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:23 pm
Who cares? Obviously alot of people care, for a variety of reasons, and the actors know that, which is why they stay on the downlow for as long as they can.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:33 pm
I watched a documentary about homosexuality in the movies, and I can't remember the exact figure given, but it was said that hollywood stays something like 10 or 15 years behind the times as far as what the public will accept in any controversial matter.

I agree with that.
I'm not convinced that a lot of people care, as much as people in the entertainment industry are afraid a lot of people will care.

Personally, I don't know of one single person, even among conservative christians, that won't go see a film based on the fact a person is gay.

Would make an interesting poll though...

I think Jodie's pretty.
She looks like my younger sister.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:46 pm
Chai wrote:
why thank you slappy, what a nice thing to say.

May I use it as my signature line?

For $5 a month. I accept paypal.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:47 pm
That same caution is practiced by the music industry. Too much money at stake to take a chance.

We've had this discussion here awhile back. I wondered who would be so inclined to plunk down money to see a romantic movie starring an openly gay actor in a straight role.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:49 pm
I would.

That's why they call it "acting"

I mean, look at Kevin Spacey. He's in my top 5 of favorite male actors. He never says it, but we all know he's gay. He plays straight roles all the time. I respect his privacy, doesn't change my feelings towards them one iota.

Speaking of sexual orientation, what's the story with Queen Latifah?

I say she is asexual.

I like her too. She really seems to know herself.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:58 pm
Speaking of Queen, I watched Jungle Fever last night for the first time. Awesome cast...great movie.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:32 pm
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 12:22 am
I agree with eoe in that it would be harder for me to suspend reality and buy into an openly gay person playing straight.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 03:47 am
Do you all have a hard time suspending reality and buying an openly straight person playing a gay?
0 Replies