Arbitrary Variables v. Comprehension

Chumly

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 04:08 pm
How important is the ability to memorize arbitrary variables as opposed to the ability to comprehend the underlying influences of said arbitrary variables, within the context of assessing intelligence?

For example it might well appear that the person who can remember many arbitrary variables is more "intelligent" than the person who can comprehend the underlying influences of arbitrary variables.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 960 • Replies: 9
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 06:39 pm
Is this your psych homework?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:46 pm
I should take that as a compliment given my age.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:34 pm
Yeah, Chumley. Do your own homework.

Seriously, I have no idea.

(slinks away)
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:02 pm
OK so I'm the first person to fail an IQ test with an observation that arbitrary variables are definitively devoid of discernible underlying influence.

I'm studying for my urine test tomorrow.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:41 pm
Urine luck then; given your present misunderstanding, your upcoming potential success could be no worse.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:46 pm
Chumly wrote:
How important is the ability to memorize arbitrary variables as opposed to the ability to comprehend the underlying influences of said arbitrary variables, within the context of assessing intelligence?

Understanding (as in comprehension) is everything. Why do you ask?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:54 pm
I would agree with you from an ideal / absolute perspective; but (for example) from the casual example given, to make such a real world pragmatic differentiation may not be so easily accomplished.

I ask because I wonder how you (for example) make such an assessment of others given the obvious (and not so obvious) perceptual constraints we all must live with.

Besides the example in my first post as per
Chumly wrote:
For example it might well appear that the person who can remember many arbitrary variables is more "intelligent" than the person who can comprehend the underlying influences of arbitrary variables.

consider whom you would hire / prefer to work with / appreciate more as a friend:

All things being equal the person with superior comprehension or the person with superior memory?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 12:16 am
Chumly wrote:
All things being equal the person with superior comprehension or the person with superior memory?

Comprehension. Although a certain amount of memory is required for thought to occur (if your brain can't store information for more than a second, you would have a hard time "thinking" in any normal sense).

In general, I consider memory to be a mechanical process. Comprehension is a much more interesting.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 12:23 am
I just asked my wife "how can you tell if someone comprehends something or if they simply have an excellent memory?"

She answered "if they can paraphrase it then they comprehend it."

I said "OK then how do you know they are not simply relying on an excellent command of the English language combined with an excellent memory?"

She said "well then how do you know anything at all?"

I said "your response is akin to the slippery slope logical fallacy"

She said "I'm going to bed."
0 Replies