Blair leaves Protestantism and converts to Catholicism

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:46 am
So Blair has rejected protestantism and converted to become a Catholic.

Why did he wait until he left office? Is it because only protestant Christians can become Prime Ministers of Britain??

What does that say about his views on Protestantism? Is he saying that the Protestants were wrong to protest against the backwardness and mindless violence of the Catholic church?

Just to update me, do the mutual sects consider each other to be Christians?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7157409.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 620 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:56 am
What fun if had had converted to Islam ! Laughing
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:57 am
(What fun if he had converted to Islam ! Laughing)
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:01 am
fresco wrote:
What fun if had had converted to Islam ! Laughing

actually he has stated on the record that he has read the Koran many times, but I thinking converting to becoming noslem would have finished off his very lucrative speaking career, a very good money spinner.

What I want to know is how he can reconcile converting after he voted on issues that contradicted his 'new found' faith such as abortion and appointing Anglican Bishops. I suppose he will just confess and all will be right with the world.

But I would really like someone to answer another on of my queries, how does a christian convert to being christian?

Do the two sects not regard each other as christians?
I have heard some evangelicals call the Catholic church the anti-christ.

Would Blair have to be baptised again???
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:46 am
Out of the frying pan, into another frying pan. . .
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:52 am
Why should anyone care what religion he is or was? Religion and man's clinging to parochialism of religious beliefs is/are at the heart of much of the world's current mess and its probable demise.

If man is to survive the 21st century in a truly more civilized and peaceful environment then LESS religion is the key..not MORE!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:02 am
Ragman wrote:
Why should anyone care what religion he is or was? Religion and man's clinging to parochialism of religious beliefs is/are at the heart of much of the world's current mess and its probable demise.

If man is to survive the 21st century in a truly more civilized and peaceful environment then LESS religion is the key..not MORE!
An idea struggling to meet its time:
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50801
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:06 am
I guess it's nature's way of thinning the herd. Looking up herd mentality I find the following: "Herd behavior describes how individuals in a group can act together without planned direction. The term pertains to the behavior of animals in herds, flocks, and schools, and to human conduct during activities such as stock market bubbles and crashes, street demonstrations, sporting events, episodes of mob violence and even everyday decision making, judgement and opinion forming.

A group of animals fleeing a predator shows the nature of herd behavior. In the often cited article "Geometry For The Selfish Herd," evolutionary biologist W. D. Hamilton said each individual group member reduces the danger to itself by moving as close as possible to the center of the fleeing group. Thus the herd appears to act as a unit in moving together, but its function emerges from the uncoordinated behavior of self-seeking individuals."
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 04:26 pm
Ragman wrote:

I would have thought that was obvious, a persons religion will no doubt dictate their morality to some degree.

The fact that Blair waited til after he left office shows that he understood everyone 'cares' what religion people are who are in office.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 04:29 pm
Is the Anglican Church considered a protestant church?

I don't really know much about them - I thought it was basically catholic beliefs with the Archbishop of Canterbury as head, instead of the Pope.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:47 pm
stevewonder wrote:
Ragman wrote:

I would have thought that was obvious, a persons religion will no doubt dictate their morality to some degree.

The fact that Blair waited til after he left office shows that he understood everyone 'cares' what religion people are who are in office.

So ..let's take JFK or Jimmy Carter as an example with JFK being Catholic, what laws can you name that he passed that reflected his Catholicism? With Carter as Baptist, what laws did he pass that were a reflection of his religion? I see no behavioral difference that affected hi ability to govern.

Now, on the other hand, with Dubyah talking directly to God, THIS seems to have gotten us into a senseless non-ending war that could last a decade or more and permanently change the balance of power or damage or economy and endanger the lives of a generation of 18-35 yr olds.
0 Replies