The Bible needs to be changed

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 05:09 pm
... or more to the point, the new testament.

Tis the season of good will and we are told that Jesus is the reason for the season, so now would be a good time to start the campaign to get the Bible re-edited.

We should go through the Bible deleting and removing all verses that are anti-semitic or call for violence and hate.

All Bibles that have not been edited should be removed from circulation and should now on only be found in Museums.

ALL ANTISEMITIC AND VIOLENT VERSES SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE BIBLE IN ANY FUTURE PRINTS, ALL OLD BIBLES SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM CIRCULATION.

Here are some examples that should be deleted from the Bible:

Quote:
New American Standard Bible
For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.
John 5:18

Quote:
King James Bible
This man was taken of the Jews, and should have been killed of them: then came I with an army, and rescued him, having understood that he was a Roman.
Acts 23: 27

people reading this stuff justify the hatred and racism, like the poor guy attacked on the train.

People like the KKK and nazis use these verses to justify spreading hate.

I know some Christians are going to say 'we all killed jesus' which is nice, but sorry I didnt even meet the guy let alone have anything to do with his death.

so lets remove this hate verses.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,441 • Replies: 20
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 06:01 pm
stevewonder, take a ballpoint pen and strike 'em out if it makes you feel better! (You sure meet some flakes on here!)

here's a Stevie Wonder joke...

-- Have you seen Stevie Wonder's new girlfriend?
-- No.
-- Neither has he!
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 06:10 pm
contrex wrote:
stevewonder, take a ballpoint pen and strike 'em out if it makes you feel better! (You sure meet some flakes on here!)

here's a Stevie Wonder joke...

-- Have you seen Stevie Wonder's new girlfriend?
-- No.
-- Neither has he!

very intelligent response
i commend you.
0 Replies

iamgodasyou

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:26 am
Yeah , cool Thomas Jefferson thought the bible NT needed an edit, and did it twice, it's called the Jefferson Bible. Check out his ideas on religion. He was a Jesus fan and basically an "atheist". Me too .....

lol
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:42 am
iamgodasyou wrote:
Yeah , cool Thomas Jefferson thought the bible NT needed an edit, and did it twice, it's called the Jefferson Bible. Check out his ideas on religion. He was a Jesus fan and basically an "atheist". Me too .....

lol

Yeah I have met some Athiest christians, who think Jesus said good things but dont believe in G.d
My suggestion is for ALL BIBLES to be re-edited, they should create a panel of Clergy, priests, rabbis and athiest, everyone sit down and discuss what is not acceptable in the 21st Century, but I think we can all agree the anti-semitic stuff needs to come out first of all.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:59 am
stevewonder wrote:
iamgodasyou wrote:

lol

Yeah I have met some Athiest christians, who think Jesus said good things but dont believe in G.d
My suggestion is for ALL BIBLES to be re-edited, they should create a panel of Clergy, priests, rabbis and athiest, everyone sit down and discuss what is not acceptable in the 21st Century, but I think we can all agree the anti-semitic stuff needs to come out first of all.
Well, Paul made the claim that the entire bible was inspired truth. (2Timothy 3:16)

So what you are saying is we should scrap the entire bible and go on our own collective smarts. Or, that we are smarter than God.

Interesting idea first posed in Genesis chapter 3.

Or, perhaps one should endeavor to find out what the bible actually says.

I can assure you that what you have proposed is a straw man.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 04:28 pm
neologist wrote:
stevewonder wrote:
iamgodasyou wrote:

lol

Well, Paul made the claim that the entire bible was inspired truth. (2Timothy 3:16)

So what you are saying is we should scrap the entire bible and go on our own collective smarts. Or, that we are smarter than God.

Interesting idea first posed in Genesis chapter 3.

Or, perhaps one should endeavor to find out what the bible actually says.

I can assure you that what you have proposed is a straw man.

Inspired truth... as opposed to dictated?

And whats the deal with this Paul (or should that be Saul) dude? Is it true he never met Jesus?

Do christian believe the Bible is the literal word of G-d?
surely not.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 04:35 pm
How Bizarre that you think something a group of people did 2000 years ago should inspire hatred against their descendants now. Does the fact that Jews were the first Christians inspire reverance of the Jews?

The texts in the Bible might be used as an excuse for hatred of a group of people, but it certainly doesn't inspire it.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:41 pm
Re: The Bible needs to be changed
stevewonder wrote:
... or more to the point, the new testament.

Tis the season of good will and we are told that Jesus is the reason for the season, so now would be a good time to start the campaign to get the Bible re-edited.

We should go through the Bible deleting and removing all verses that are anti-semitic or call for violence and hate.

All Bibles that have not been edited should be removed from circulation and should now on only be found in Museums.

ALL ANTISEMITIC AND VIOLENT VERSES SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE BIBLE IN ANY FUTURE PRINTS, ALL OLD BIBLES SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM CIRCULATION.

Here are some examples that should be deleted from the Bible:

Quote:
New American Standard Bible
For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.
John 5:18

Quote:
King James Bible
This man was taken of the Jews, and should have been killed of them: then came I with an army, and rescued him, having understood that he was a Roman.
Acts 23: 27

people reading this stuff justify the hatred and racism, like the poor guy attacked on the train.

People like the KKK and nazis use these verses to justify spreading hate.

I know some Christians are going to say 'we all killed jesus' which is nice, but sorry I didnt even meet the guy let alone have anything to do with his death.

so lets remove this hate verses.

'this hate verses', eh? Rolling Eyes

How is it 'hate' to make note that there were some who wished to kill Jesus?

Same question with regard to the second example. Some wished to kill Paul, and the Bible records it. How is this 'hate' ?

Should we also censor history books which note that Hitler desired to exterminate the Jews?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 06:56 am
neo wrote:

Who's paul? The one who was Jesus disciple?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:43 am
And why should anyone take Paul's word for it.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:45 am
St Paul was a creepy misogynist.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:50 am
Cyracuz wrote:

Who's paul? The one who was Jesus disciple?

Laughing

It just gets better.

Cyracuz, why don't you read the Bible through a few times before posting comments like this?

I would seem that a working knowledge of something you're attempting to criticize would give you a bit more credibility (at least more than the 0 you've earned on this topic so far).
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:52 am
real life

I am not asking because I don't know.
I am asking becuase hopefully neo will realize that it's kind of hard for someone to comment on a text that was written centuries after their death...

But no...
The self deception of christians knows no bounds.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:42 am
There is no part of the Bible that was written centuries after Paul's death.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:30 am
RL, tell us about the bits that were written in the Eve and whatsis name time Very Happy Arrow Twisted Evil
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 03:35 pm
More evidence that the Bible was not written by an omniscient, intelligent God.

Quote:
Man Cuts Off, Microwaves His Own Hand

HAYDEN, Idaho (AP) -- A man who believed he bore the "mark of the beast" used a circular saw to cut off one hand, then he cooked it in the microwave and called 911, authorities said.

The man, in his mid-20s, was calm when Kootenai County sheriff's deputies arrived Saturday in this northern Idaho town. He was in protective custody in the mental health unit of Kootenai Medical Center.

"It had been somewhat cooked by the time the deputy arrived," sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said. "He put a tourniquet on his arm before, so he didn't bleed to death. That kind of mental illness is just sad."

It was not immediately clear whether the man has a history of mental illness. Hospital spokeswoman Lisa Johnson would not say whether an attempt was made to reattach the hand, citing patient confidentiality.

The Book of Revelation in the New Testament contains a passage in which an angel is quoted as saying: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, he, too, will drink the wine of God's fury."

The book of Matthew also contains the passage: "And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."

Wolfinger said he didn't know which hand was amputated.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MICROWAVED_HAND?SITE=IDCOE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-01-09-17-46-53

Would God be so stupid as to write such crap knowing mental cases overcome by irrational religious fervor will do such things?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 05:32 pm
Are you aware that use is not the same as misuse, xingu?

Would you coach a Little League team, since one of the players could grow up to use a bat as a murder weapon?

How 'bout staying away from the bbq , since sharp knives can be used to hurt people?

The things you consider 'logical' are a hoot.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:52 pm
You don't get the point RL. This person didn't "misuse" the scriptures. This person was a mental case who could not think in a rational manner. If your God is so smart it should have know better to write such trash, knowing there will be those out there that will "misuse" such garbage. Doesn't your "God of love" have enough intelligence to write a book and get his message across in a simple manner so that everyone could understand it? Can't your God do so without so much venom, hate, anger and vengeance? Can't your God come up with any solution to any problem other than killing people?

The simple answer is no. And all the different Christian religions and sects who think thay have the correct "faith" are evidence of that.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 09:05 pm
stevewonder wrote:

Who is "they"?

and to your other post - some christians (i.e. pentecoastals) do indeed take the bible literally, word for word.
0 Replies