Books: Your best read of 2007!

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:33 pm
msolga wrote:
msolga wrote:
Kara wrote:
Sozobe, I loved Inheritance of Loss. I found the ending of that book profound.

A second enthusiastic endorsement!
(Repeat (to myself): I must get hold of a copy of this book! Soon!

Bought it yesterday! Very Happy

I will report back!

I set it aside in mid-December as I got busy with the holidays. I picked it back up again this morning. I've very much enjoyed the first 2/3s.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:25 pm
JPB wrote:
msolga wrote:
msolga wrote:
Kara wrote:
Sozobe, I loved Inheritance of Loss. I found the ending of that book profound.

A second enthusiastic endorsement!
(Repeat (to myself): I must get hold of a copy of this book! Soon!

Bought it yesterday! Very Happy

I will report back!

I set it aside in mid-December as I got busy with the holidays. I picked it back up again this morning. I've very much enjoyed the first 2/3s.

<Thinking to myself> Hmmm, perhaps we have the potential for a good discussion here? The start of a reading group, even? Idea

Now .... if we could persuade CalamityJane & Deb (& other interested folk) to read it ......? :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:27 pm
That's a great idea, MsOlga. I'll get it and start reading - even before I
dig into my christmas present books. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:51 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
That's a great idea, MsOlga. I'll get it and start reading - even before I
dig into my christmas present books. Smile

Yay!

We're in business! Very Happy

Yes?

Now all we need it a group leader to tell us about deadlines etc ..

Soz? Kara? CalamityJane? Deb? JPB? Anyone else ...?

I'm happy with any of the above! Very Happy

(For anyone who doesn't know the book, my just bought (paperback)copy has 324 pages, so it's not too longish.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:29 am
Oh, cool!

I'll have to go back through my copy before the discussion starts, since I read it a while ago now. But I love the idea.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:43 pm
Amazon has a lot of second hand copies priced between $4 and $5. (Plus $3.99 P&H).

I just ordered one.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:44 pm
Me too, Noddy! Soon, we'll start reading Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:51 pm
Noddy, if postage costs weren't so ridiculously expensive to Oz (air AND sea!) I'd be buying up big, too! Ah, the tyranny of distance! Sad
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:55 pm
MsOlga, I'd be happy to send you my copy once I'm finished.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:10 pm
sozobe wrote:
Oh, cool!

I'll have to go back through my copy before the discussion starts, since I read it a while ago now. But I love the idea.

Oh me too! Very Happy

Now, a few logistics.:

We need a new thread announcing that this discussion is going to take place, & when it will begin. This'll give those A2Kers who who mightn't know about our discussion here - & might be interested in participating - a chance to get hold of the book & read it before we start.

For all to go well we need a thread convener. I've made a few (polite, I hope!) suggestions in an earlier post here, but sadly none of my suggestees have jumped at the opportunity! Surprised

Reading back through this thread, I see that CalamityJane was very interested in starting a reading group here & is very interested in the book we'll be talking about. So CalamityJane, would you be interested in being the convener of this discussion? (I hope I'm not sounding pushy, or something! Shocked Not my intention at all!) But if you are interested in getting the ball rolling that would be great! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:18 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
MsOlga, I'd be happy to send you my copy once I'm finished.

Thank you kindly for that generous offer, CalamityJane! Very nice of you! Very Happy

But I now have a copy of The Inheritance of Loss, purchased a few days ago.

No, my response to Noddy was more about taking the opportunity to GO MAD! Very Happy with a whole lot of desirable, cheap purchases! That sort of appeals to me! :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:36 am
Msolga will be the Power Behind the Throne.
0 Replies

vid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:39 am
I've almost finished 'What was lost', by Catherine O'Flynn. A great mystery tale and a book that you just can't put down.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:53 am
Is this post for books published in 2007, or can they have been read in 2007 and published in a different year?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:41 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Msolga will be the Power Behind the Throne.

I will?

Oh I don't think so, Noddy! Laughing

Power sort of means one has a bit of influence, right? Well I've tried to make (what I thought were a bunch of constructive suggestions about getting a book group going (Even named names! Based on folk who'd recommended or were interested in the book/were interested in getting a book group off the ground. Quite nicely, I thought. Very Happy ) ...

But no response.

Confused

I think I might just let it rest here. I tried.

Anyway, it's good we're all reading what, by all accounts, is a good book.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 04:17 pm
Msolga--

Would you consent to take the throne?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 04:20 pm
...and if the "throne" idea bothers you, can you consent to doing the plain ol' organizational work?

I'm hesitant mostly because I'm going to be extremely busy for the next undefined period of time (need to get caught up from crazy-busy holidays) and also because I was one of the main people in A2K Book Club version 1.0 and like the idea of passing the torch rather than being a main person again.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:19 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Msolga--

Would you consent to take the throne?

Thanks, but no, Noddy. I've haven't ever participated in a book club, say nothing of coordinated a discussion. Pass.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:22 pm
sozobe wrote:
...and if the "throne" idea bothers you, can you consent to doing the plain ol' organizational work?

I'll pass again, if that's OK, sozobe.
Some good soul will present themselves soon, I'm certain! Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 10:36 am
Msolga--

If you do the organizational work, I'll ride herd on the discussion.
0 Replies