Books: Your best read of 2007!

Kara

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:01 pm
CJ, I read Water for Elephants but was ultimately disappointed in it. The book was fetching and drew one in for long stretches, but toward the end it became more and more contrived. I never could suspend disbelief. (I wonder if it was written as a farce? This occurred to me, but it is a badly written farce, if so.) The setting of a circus train was interesting -- these used to be common and are now a distant memory -- and there were absorbing sidebar issues such as the disease caused by tainted alcohol. I was caught up from time to time but, in the end, found the book wanting.

I'm now into Jeffrey Toobin's The Nine, about the Supreme Court. It reads like a novel and I find myself resenting any time I must deal with ordinary life away from this book.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:33 am
Kara wrote:
Sozobe, I loved Inheritance of Loss. I found the ending of that book profound.

A second enthusiastic endorsement!
(Repeat (to myself): I must get hold of a copy of this book! Soon!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 02:32 am
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts for me.

Be back with the "why" part of it!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 07:39 am
spidergal, please do return with the "why."
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 05:03 pm
Kara wrote:
CJ, I read Water for Elephants but was ultimately disappointed in it. The book was fetching and drew one in for long stretches, but toward the end it became more and more contrived. I never could suspend disbelief. (I wonder if it was written as a farce? This occurred to me, but it is a badly written farce, if so.) The setting of a circus train was interesting -- these used to be common and are now a distant memory -- and there were absorbing sidebar issues such as the disease caused by tainted alcohol. I was caught up from time to time but, in the end, found the book wanting.

Hi Kara! You see, I loved the ending. I thought it brought it all together
in the end. What better way to spend your remaining years in a setting
where you love to be instead of a boring retirement home. It was a surprise ending, but quite a satisfying one, for me at least. Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 05:04 pm
We should start an online book club, where some of us read the same
book and talk about it afterwards. I would like that very much!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:56 pm
There was an attempt to start a reading group here a while ago, CalamityJane. I think it may have been Deb's (dlowan's) idea. I can't recall exactly what became of it. I vaguely remember there was a lot of discussion around which book to start with .... but after that?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 07:06 am
I don't know about my best read in 2007. Right now I am reading 'Schlepping through the alps' by Sam Apple. This is a very interesting book. It's pretty easy to read - speaking German helps because I don't have to think about the names etc. It is funny and sad and gives me a completely new perspective on many things, among them our neighbouring country Austria.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:39 am
msolga wrote:
There was an attempt to start a reading group here a while ago, CalamityJane. I think it may have been Deb's (dlowan's) idea. I can't recall exactly what became of it. I vaguely remember there was a lot of discussion around which book to start with .... but after that?

Oh, what a shame!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 05:53 pm
I really liked "Soon I Will Be Invincible". Just good silly fun and good silly fun is exactly what in needed in 2007.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 06:13 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
msolga wrote:

Oh, what a shame!

People could not agree...then people didn't read the book we settled on, and those who did didn't like it...and I ran utterly out of steam.

It was extraordinarily frustrating.

It would be great if someone ELSE wished to run with it, though!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 07:29 pm
msolga wrote:
Kara wrote:
Sozobe, I loved Inheritance of Loss. I found the ending of that book profound.

A second enthusiastic endorsement!
(Repeat (to myself): I must get hold of a copy of this book! Soon!

Bought it yesterday! Very Happy

I will report back!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 07:42 pm
just started my fave book of 2007

Heroes: The Champions of Our Literary Imagination by Bruce Meyer

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E4wtvoSRL._SS500_.jpg

an in depth study of the hero in classic literature, very interesting so far

i'm also reading an earlier work by the same author

The Golden Thread by Bruce Meyer

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51h-3SCjv1L._SS500_.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:00 pm
Ooooooh, djjd! Interesting. (I must do some Googling & find out more!)

Long time since I crossed your path on a thread here. Lovely to see you again! Very Happy
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:24 pm
good to see you msolga, hope your new year was fun (and cool)

if you like books about books or literature, these are two very good reads

meyer is a professor at laurentian college, as well as a contributor to CBC radio on literary matters
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:29 pm
dlowan wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
msolga wrote:

Oh, what a shame!

People could not agree...then people didn't read the book we settled on, and those who did didn't like it...and I ran utterly out of steam.

It was extraordinarily frustrating.

It would be great if someone ELSE wished to run with it, though!

Thanks for the info deb. I think I will try in a few weeks. Maybe take
a book from the NY Bestseller list and see who wants to read it and
talk about it. I'd be even willing to buy the book and send it to others
afterwards.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 09:07 pm
djjd62 wrote:
good to see you msolga, hope your new year was fun (and cool)

if you like books about books or literature, these are two very good reads

meyer is a professor at laurentian college, as well as a contributor to CBC radio on literary matters

No luck with the cool new year, djjd. Momma mia! It's unbelievable outside! Shocked

Hope your new year is good, too!

Will definitely check out Bruce Meyer on the internet, to find out more!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 10:26 am
That would be great, CJ!

I didn't manage to finish it in 2007 but Shalom Auslander's "Foreskin's Lament" is GREAT. I got it for E.G. for Christmas and he read it really fast, saying "you have to read this book" at regular intervals. It's not for everyone -- pretty strong stuff -- but I'm impressed.

Just ordered "The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" and really looking forward to that one.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 10:35 am
I can not pick just one book.

Last year ( well 2007) I read 42 books.
Only a few were books I would not finish due to being boring, or stagnant, or lacking character development.. or any number of reasons.

The others were all great books.

I will say this last book I finished was the best. And that is only because I have not opened another one.

Drowning Ruth.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 10:46 am
What I Know For Sure by Tavis Smiley
0 Replies