what was the first religion?

hanno

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:11 pm
More or less - but define 'grisly'-

Say I'm driving in the snow, I lose it, my car turns over and I spend the next 36 hours bleeding to death slowly, impaled on the rib of a glass T-top with acid in flooding my muscles because my lungs can't get air to them before the gas fumes ignite and I burn to death. When it's over its over.

But say what it looks like will happen now happens now - I spend the last 15 years getting weaker and getting strapped back together while I lose mental and physical agility. The actual death process could be quick or take 5 years and my family could end up watching it.

I don't think most people would choose the blaze of glory, although I would. But objectively speaking, as we would all have the luxury of doing if we could as easily have 500 good years, how much worse would it be?

To bring it full circle, like I said before, it's not all about fear either.

There's also dignity - people are afraid to have it because it implies comprehension and self-reliance - so make it life harder to screw up and easier to get a handle on and people won't feel the need to turn over their leashes to Sky Daddy. People will be stuck taking ownership of their lives because they won't have the guts to off themselves.

And then there's wealth and power - which will become less meaningful and harder to come by respectively when time is on our side. And there you have the end of religion.
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:09 pm
thats some prediction, but I still believe religion is based on the fear of what we don't know, people will cling onto anything someone else tells them, because all these possibilities run thru their mind, scary possibilities, so people will look to anyone with "answers".
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:06 pm
Most people prefer a wrong answer over no answer. And there is some kind of flawed logic at play here when a person can say to himself that "if we cannot know, we can believe what we want". Doesn't work that way.
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 03:10 pm
Im pretty sure thats called fuzzy logic.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 03:12 pm
Re: what was the first religion?
Gilbey wrote:
What was the first religion, and futhermore was there a first religion, or did more than one religion establish itself at the same time? In my opinion there must have been one religion to start off with, and that religion influenced the other religions.

I believe the first religion was shopping.
0 Replies