Two Sides to Every Story

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 07:55 am
Okay, so I have to try and debate that the health care/insurance (or lack of) that exists in USA is good. I am trying to argue that the government should not provide health care to the citizens. Any help would be greatly appreciated Rolling Eyes ! Thanks! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 586 • Replies: 6
No top replies

parados

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:16 am
Good luck on that one..

The government already provides health care for some citizens, medicare and medicaid. The government also requires hospitals treat the anyone even if they can't pay. I can't think of too many arguments that could be logically made to eliminate those programs.

Maybe you could argue that if the government provided no health services then more Americans would die and there would be more jobs for illegal immigrants.
0 Replies

Dani2008

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:29 am
Thanks so much. I already thought about the medicare. Very Happy
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:56 pm
I would think that any arguments against health care would be based on User Pays / Contribution to Society.

It would need to adress the argument that taxes are paid and health care is paid for by those taxes.

It would need to address whether or not health care is a 'right' (is it in your bill of rights?, and if so, should it still be valid today)

It would have to remove the 'fairness' argument (maybe using the survival of the fittest argument)
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:15 pm
In which non-mineral-wealth-fed country featuring socialized medicine do people get better health care than those who get health care than the USA? Show up to the emergency room with a bloody T-shirt around your hand and a blue-collar Blue Cross card and a half hour later they glue you together no questions asked, prescribe percodan which you pay $5 a week for and chase with Yukon Jack and then two weeks later you get a 'please rate our service' letter instead of a bill. Its almost fun.

Yeah I know some people here don't get any. I'm really sorry poor people don't drive decent cars, or eat steak, or have nice places to live, even though I drive a 10-year-old $4,500 car and fix it myself because I like it, eat ramen 6x a week for convenience, and live in a crappy apartment because I don't give a damn about landscaping or the neighborhood. But for something on which my life or quality thereof may someday depend (although it hasn't yet little darlins)? Forgive me for not feeling the benevolence to compromise for the sake of others for 'tis my very ass which may be on the line.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 08:27 pm
Your argument is that while health care should be available to everyone, regardless of economic status - the government need not be the entity that provides it.

Besides, has the government run ANYTHING well?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 04:34 am
Re: Two Sides to Every Story
Dani2008 wrote:
Okay, so I have to try and debate that the health care/insurance (or lack of) that exists in USA is good.

I am trying to argue that the government should not provide health care to the citizens.
Any help would be greatly appreciated Rolling Eyes ! Thanks! Very Happy

I 'd argue that government was not created for that purpose
and that it was never endowed with jurisdiction to do so.
Hence, it can only do so by an act of USURPATION.
If usurpatory acts are tolerated, then the polity tacitly approves of
and endorses unlimited tyranny, in the discretion of government.

Personal freedom is worth more than that.
David
0 Replies