Online distance learning.

Gilbey

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 01:35 pm
I am starting A level philosophy in january, with Oxford distance learning college. I cant wait to start, but I just wanted to know what people thought, about studying a subject like philosophy in the way I will be studying it. Is it a good way to learn such a subject? have you studied philosophy in this way, and if so what did you think of it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 560 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:13 pm
Gilbey,

Speaking as a graduate from a residential UK university and an ex-tutor for the Open University I would say the quality of the distance learning experience suffers from the lack of social and casual exchanges within which the course content can take root. My advice to you would be to join or establish a "local philosophy group" to counter the potential deficit.
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:19 pm
Would you say my overall learning would suffer from the lack of social exchanges?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:37 pm
Yes...to the extent that fellow students even if not engaged with the same material are an informal sounding board for ideas at a particular level.
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:59 pm
When I start my course, I will also have a personal tutor, one which I can contact through E-mail and phone, and I can also talk to fellow distance students in the online "common room". this wont be as good as actually talking to someone face to face but it will help.
0 Replies

mrhunt

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 03:13 am
While not in psychology i too have considered taking some online courses....best of luck to you and let me know if you do it (who u used) and how it worked out!
0 Replies