Do you understand phenomenalism?

Gilbey

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 12:40 pm
I know that not many philosophers defend phenomenalism, but I would still like to fully grasp the theory.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,052 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:31 pm
The wikipedia artlicle on phemomenology is as good as any summary I have read. Your own understanding of such summaries unfortunately will depend largely on your familiarity with other philosophical movements against which phenomenology can be contrasted. In particular you need to consider "logical positivism" which via "behaviourism" deflated the contents of consciousness to epiphenomena of a complex material process. Alternately you might contrast that view with more recent developments of "structuralism".

A seminal quotation for me which makes phenomenology worth a look comes from the physicist Heisenberg
Quote:
We never experience the world directly, only the results of actions on the world.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 10:48 pm
I think that phenomenalism and phenomenology differ in that the former argues that nothing exists but experience--a form of radical subjectivsm or idealism?) and the latter (Husserl) contends that we can know objective realities ("essences") by deriving them logically or intuitively (?) from sensual experience.
0 Replies