PikaPk

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:48 pm
If you knew that Hanukkah has arrived, which I'm sure all of you do, than feel free to talk about the Torah, and the "Nature of G-d" right here. Just stamp & sign. Very Happy

PS - I finally spelled "Hanukkah" right! Yes! Laughing Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 767 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 09:17 pm
a few different spellings are acceptable - Chanukah or Hanukkah or Hanukah.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 05:06 am
Yep, that's the nature of using a Western alphabet to simulate Eastern pronunciations.

Re the Torah, er, what do you want to talk about? It's a rather large book.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 09:48 am
Since the word 'god' is merely a title and since there are many who are called 'God', why do you decline to spell it?

Is not the Hebrew tetragrammaton a designation for the name of God meaning 'he who causes to become'? I have never quite been able to understand the superstition surrounding the utterance of that name, Yahweh, or Jehovah. I would think that Israelites would proudly announce the name of their God as above all others.

Can you picture David approaching Goliath and answering his taunt with "You are coming to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I am coming to you with the name of G_d?" (1Samuel 17:45)

Perhaps we should revere 'the force.'
0 Replies

PikaPk

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:17 pm
neologist wrote:
Since the word 'god' is merely a title and since there are many who are called 'God', why do you decline to spell it?

Is not the Hebrew tetragrammaton a designation for the name of God meaning 'he who causes to become'? I have never quite been able to understand the superstition surrounding the utterance of that name, Yahweh, or Jehovah. I would think that Israelites would proudly announce the name of their God as above all others.

Can you picture David approaching Goliath and answering his taunt with "You are coming to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I am coming to you with the name of G_d?" (1Samuel 17:45)

Perhaps we should revere 'the force.'

Well yeah, but I'm not even a Jew. I am actually Greek Orthodox, but I study the Torah. That's how I got my degree, actually. Shocked

-- Percy
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 09:11 pm
PikaPk wrote:
. . . I'm not even a Jew. I am actually Greek Orthodox, but I study the Torah. That's how I got my degree, actually. Shocked

-- Percy
OK, I'm interested.

Do you have any thoughts on the unutterable name?
0 Replies

PikaPk

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 09:31 pm
neologist wrote:
PikaPk wrote:
. . . I'm not even a Jew. I am actually Greek Orthodox, but I study the Torah. That's how I got my degree, actually. Shocked

-- Percy
OK, I'm interested.

Do you have any thoughts on the unutterable name?

dunno
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:55 pm
What about "Elohim?"

T
K
O
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:01 pm
Elohim is a generic word used to represent the true God at times, but also false Gods, such as at 1Samuel 5:7b (Dagon); 1Kings 11:5 ("goddess" Ashtoreth); Daniel 1:2 (Marduk).
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:16 pm
Interesting.

Thanks
K
O
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:33 pm
It is said to be un-utterable because one of the Ten Commandments says though shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain. That is the explanation. so synonyms are used ...like King of Kings..etc.
0 Replies

PikaPk

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:19 am
So we're told...Shocked
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:59 am
There is an interesting discussion of this and other naming conventions on wikipedia.

Quote:
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:32 pm
It's sort of like having an unlisted number, in a way! If anyone needs one, it's the Big Guy! Especially around the time Dubyah tries to reach him for his daily chat.
0 Replies

nicknacker

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:21 am
Well its January now Cool
0 Replies