Gee, I cant even see the cake beneath all those candles Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 10:40 am
Happy Birthday, Cav!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 10:24 pm
(Eva calls to one of the Nubian slave girls...)

Yes, dear, please put down the serving platter and sit here with us for a minute. My friend, Caterina, has a question about Nubian slaves. Perhaps you can enlighten her.

(The girl hands her platter of lamb-stuffed cherry tomatoes to a passing guest, straightens her turban and jewelry, and joins them.)

(Sitting on an embroidered silk pillow at the Goddess's feet, the girl begins her tale...) Well, to begin with, Nubia was an ancient country just south of Egypt. It was known for its riches and its warriors. Egypt obtained most of its gold from Nubia, along with ebony, ivory, incense and hard stone for its many monumental building projects. Rich exports from central Africa came through Nubia to Egypt. When the Egyptian civilization was at its height, the pharoahs regularly captured thousands of Nubians and brought them to Egypt as slaves. Later, the Romans did the same.

Oh, but WE'RE not really slaves! (laughing) Oh no! We're drama students from the nearby university. Eva generously underwrote our production of Aida last spring, so we owed her a favor. We all played Nubian slaves in the opera. But tonight we are slaves for Love. Just like all of you...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 10:27 pm
I see! Thanks, oops, what was your name? Ala? Nice to meet you. And thanks for the history lesson. I've been hearing about nubian slaves for ever and never thought to ask until now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 10:36 pm
Some version of this episode has occurred in my own life, with a tribal liberian woman now my friend, after various episodes of complete pathology. Connections are actually possible.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 01:54 am
slaves of love....hmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 07:53 am
Dare I ask what you are thinking, dear Gautam?!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:05 pm
sumac, not caring what Gautam is thinking and gettied too dried out by being on land, leaps back into the canal to freshen up. Besides, her sinuses are killing her! There must be a really BIG STORM coming near me. I may have to dive deep, she thinks, until the barometric pressure adjusts itself into a more normal range.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:05 pm
Eva wrote:
Dare I ask what you are thinking, dear Gautam?!

My thoughts have a "R" rating.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 02:26 pm
Only "R", my dear? I am disappointed.

SUMAC!
Sumac has returned!!! (jumping for joy!)
Hope the big storm doesn't get you, sweetie.
HURRY BACK! We're saving you some dessert. Or minnows. Or whatever you want.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 02:58 pm
cav proposes battoning down the hatches and planning a delightful hurricane breakfast! Vincenzo, I need you!

"Yes chef..."

"Even though we are in Venice, and far from Isabel, we must prepare a breakfast feast for those who may be affected. It is, how shall I say, good karma."

"I shall make caramel immediately chef."

"No, I said 'karma'..."

"Sorry, I will work on that too."

"Just make a fine brioche dough and stop thinking, and you will be fine Vincenzo."
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:46 pm
"Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Caramel"...wasn't that a song by Boy George? (heehee!)

Sorry. Bad joke. I shall go back to wining & dining at once. Embarrassed
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 03:01 am
Eva dahling, my innocent lil brain cannot think beyond "R" rated thoughts.

However, my body, which is not so innocent can go far beyond that Wink
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:55 pm
Oh, look everybody!

Gautam is doing gymnastics!!!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:11 pm
Gymnastics are quite easy to do under water......but try swallowing some aspirin for sinus headaches. Oy.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:29 pm
Cav surveys the kitchen....

"Silvio, the croissant dough looks fine, begin shaping the pain au chocolat."

"Yes chef!"

"Vincenzo, make our standard brioche, but save some dough to make tiny donuts for the morning, just dusted with a little icing sugar and placed on the silver trays with the tiny bodums of real Kona coffee. If some of the guests want a stronger brew, we have dark-roast real single-estate Java to offer, and some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe as well...I want blood orange mimosas organized, New Brunswick smoked salmon flown in, a selection of the finest local cheese, something hard and sharp, something creamy, and something blue. Fruit...get plenty of fruit, whatever is seasonal....put up some lightly sweetened creme fraiche too."

"Yes chef...tomorrow, we dine well."

"True Vincenzo....one last thought, have Silvio organize the omelette stations...there is lobster, foie gras and asparagus left over, and some truffle."

"Yes chef, I will get Silvio on it immediately."
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:44 pm
Oh, the Kona is wonderful! That smell!!! Do you also have Jamaican Blue Mountain? (My favorite.) If not, I will try the Ethiopian. Never tasted that one.

Did you say "leftover lobster"? WHERE?!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 03:43 pm
As her guests are obviously sated from another of Cavfancier's enormous feasts, Eva proposes a little entertainment...

Bacchus and his satyrs enter, carrying bunches of succulent grapes newly snipped from the arbor outside. They place the grapes in the bottom of one of the now-empty fountains, which has long since been licked clean of any trace of chocolate by the exuberant guests. Eva carefully removes her jewelry, then she and George join Bacchus & Co. in stomping the grapes to the lively tune of "I've Got a Brand New Pair of Roller Skates, You've Got a Brand New Key"...

"Come on, everybody! Join us!..."
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 05:23 pm
Euwe! What humans will do for fun. If that turns you on, there is a whole mess of sea grapes in here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 05:34 pm
Um, I have always wanted to go to a grape stomp...at least a virtual one..
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 09:31:22