Does god believe in himself?

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 04:44 pm
A thought occured to me.

If god is self aware then he has actual knowledge of his own existence. And if proof denies faith, then god isn't a good christian unless god is unaware of his own existence...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 930 • Replies: 12
No top replies

neologist

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 06:02 pm
In what way does proof deny faith? And what is your standard of proof? (A question I have posed often)

Your position of absolutes here and in your other thread today lead me to suspect someone has stolen your otherwise reasonable identity and hijacked your avatar.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 06:06 pm
I'm just trying to kick up some fuzz in the name of good old fashion fun. There should be a warning sign on the two threads you mention reading; not to be taken too seriously. Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 06:07 pm
Well, I can relate to that. Laughing
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 06:44 pm
The Babel fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy recieved not from its own carrier but from those around it, It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. the practical upshot of this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any language.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anhthing so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes like this : "I refuse to prove that I exist", says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But", says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? it could not have evolved by chance. it proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear", says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh that was easy" says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

DOUGLAS ADAMS
The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:28 pm
Does God believe in himself? I doubt it on the grounds that most narcissists don't. It's like-the leopard believes in the jungle because he can kick the whole jungle's ass-but the Englishman believes in only himself, ostensibly, because out in the jungle he's screwed. If you look at the self in perspective you've got to see the environment around it, maybe as an assortment of potential victims, maybe as an obstacle-but narcissists can't do that because it's always a losing game...
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 07:29 am
Pauligirl wrote:
The Babel fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy recieved not from its own carrier but from those around it, It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. the practical upshot of this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any language.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anhthing so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes like this : "I refuse to prove that I exist", says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But", says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? it could not have evolved by chance. it proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear", says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh that was easy" says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

DOUGLAS ADAMS
The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy

Brilliant Very Happy

Haven't read that book, but sure intend to!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:16 am
You should. It's great fun, and that small piece from the book is just one of many humorous twists of logic Douglas Adams thunk up. Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 03:38 pm
Re: Does god believe in himself?
Cyracuz wrote:
A thought occured to me.

If god is self aware then he has actual knowledge of his own existence. And if proof denies faith, then god isn't a good christian unless god is unaware of his own existence...

That would explain a lot Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 11:48 am
It would. It would also be a shame if god didn't believe in himself. You know, self esteem issues. That would also explain alot.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 12:22 pm
"Does God believe in himself ?".

If "God" is the intelligent being he is supposed to be the answer is "no" because intelligent awareness reveals the fragmentary and illusary nature of "self". Even if "God" were not sufficiently intelligent to grasp that, such a being would have a severe self-esteem problem given the apparent failure of its experiment with homo sapiens. For the less intelligent being, therapy would seem to be the best option to restore "self-belief", but it would still be clutching at straws.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 01:18 pm
Not to mention, who would be the therapist?Smile
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 04:51 pm
I believe that the reason God created us was to experience Himself through us. I believe we are one with God, unlike traditional Christian views. Therefore, He gave us free will to do as we do.
0 Replies