What would you do if you won the lottery?

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 08:02 am
I rarely buy tickets but once in a while I get sucked into it... and then I dream of what I'd do. It would all depend, of course, on how much I won, but I would definitely not work and I would travel. Give money to family and some friends, of course, and maybe support a cause near and dear to me...

What would you do? Do you think it would change you much?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,713 • Replies: 43
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 08:06 am
I would fine the highest interest investment I could, ( even if it were a simple savings account) .. put it away except for a small amount 10,000 or so and wait a year.

After one year, I would live off of the interest as my yearly income and never work again but live a simple, paid for life. Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 08:19 am
I would improve life for many people. Nobody NEEDS more than the necessities and perhaps one or two niceties.
0 Replies

Mr Nice

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:11 am
I would help more people, especially the needy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:22 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I would fine the highest interest investment I could, ( even if it were a simple savings account) .. put it away except for a small amount 10,000 or so and wait a year.

After one year, I would live off of the interest as my yearly income and never work again but live a simple, paid for life. Smile

Ditto, kinda.

Except I would pay off my mortgage, any other debt, make gifts of $10,00 each to particular friends and family, take about $75,000 to relax on for a year while I thought about the future.

I'd then set aside enough funds to ensure my healthcare needs, housing and basic necessities where covered for the rest of my life, with the interest, dividends and principle. I'd buy my step daughter a house for the present, with her knowing she'd inherit the estate.

Then, I'd like to develope a program to educate others on how to get out of debt.

Without winning the lottery, my debt is in control, managable and of my choosing. I believe I have something in that way to offer others.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:23 am
I would be a lazy, selfish, unbearably arrogant, self centered ne'er do well.

In other words no changes except I;d be rich.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:25 am
I'd get the A/C fixed on my Porsche.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:33 am
i would buy an apartment, get my parents a home alarm system installed, put money aside for my nephew's college. i would give a few hundred thousand to the non-profit i currently work for as an endowment, so that we can finally get real offices, CEO, open branch offices where we need them, and get more permanent staff set up to carry out programs ongoingly.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:59 am
Assure the education of Hermione and Nigel.

Set up a trust for Clive so he'll be OK after we're gone.

Go back to school for English and Classical Languages.
Then teach.

I have a friend who is doing some incredible selfless work in Nigeria.
I'd throw as much money as I could his way.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:21 am
I'd feel free (secure enough) to never have to own anything that would make me feel tied down ever again.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:45 am
I love this dream!

First I'd pay off the mortgages of all my siblings homes as well as my own. Then I'd take a portion and invest it so I have a nest egg secured when I'm 70. I'd get on the internet and carefully decide which charitable organizations I feel strongly about and then start planning for some really cool eco-tours with my kids.

I've been dreaming about taking my son in particular on a trip that involves volunteer work with endangered animals. My daughter has her dreams set on Paris. She's more of a city girl.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:50 pm
I won 5.00 in the Carolina Cash five the other day... I'm heading out and while out will get my Powerball and Cash five tickets. I feel lucky...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:57 pm
I probably would not live much differently than I do now, but I would get an unlisted phone number! Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 01:21 pm
The only indulgence I can think of, would be building a house to my own
specifications that is completely self sufficient - solar energy, environmentally safe, and state of the art technology to make living easier and simpler.

Aside from that, I'd set up scholarships for underprivileged children,
and have a foundation working primarily with needy children in the United
States. No need to go to South Africa (Ophra) when there are enough
children in need in the US.

Hm, should I buy a lottery ticket now? It would be a start, wouldn't it? Very Happy
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 01:25 pm
I drive this beat up old truck with one door almost falling off and the windshield has a major crack in it from where a branch fell on it during a windstorm several years ago. The truck has 300,000 miles on it -- hard miles.

If I win the lottery.... that bad boy is getting some new tires.

Whatever money is left will go towards my self-destruction.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 01:32 pm
That shouldn't take that much!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 04:08 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Whatever money is left will go towards my self-destruction.

Having a swamp party, gus?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 04:13 pm
This week a man won a million dollar lottery in the State of Massachusetts and he is not going to be allowed to keep it. He was a bank robber out on probation, and part of his probation was that he is not allowed to gamble.

Karma?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 04:15 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 04:24 pm
1) I would use it to be more mobile, to see people and places I care about.

2) oh, yeah, pay off all debts.

3) Three is really the serious question. People who will inherit anything from me will at best get some stuff that I treasure and they might hurl - for example, photo slides. With any luck, my niece will get my house, but why the hell would she want it? Lemon, lemon, lemon. She would like some of my ordinary stuff, for memories. Some friends would probably absorb some of my paintings.
I dunno, I'd like to make her life secure, though her father will probably do that financially. And security can blanket...

So, re the lottery, where would a bulk of money do best good?

I'm immediately inclined re that guy (was he from Bangladesh? in any case, a nobel, after the fact) who started the idea of funding small businesses, Very small businesses. As far as I've read, that works, but I haven't read any naysaying.

I'm also interested in med research re diseases that don't warrant the big donor bucks,

and primary research, with no apparent monetary bennies. The way it used to be not all that long ago - at least within my lifetime, although even then stardom was always a possible trigger for effort.

Well, that's a start but I have to think more. How many zillion did I just win?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What would you do if you won the lottery?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 12:19:12