Teacher held for teddy bear 'blasphemy'

aidan

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:24 am
You know - everyone worships something. And people have been and are gonna argue over whether or not what the other person worships is worth worshipping or not - probably into eternity.
I think our American society's worship of consumption and arrogance in refusing to STOP IT has made the entire world enemy territory for American citizens, (and by association our British compatriots) in that everyone's sick of that tendency and us.

But this was not about worshipping or exalting anyone or anything-and I personally have NO idea why people have to act this way - but you can't really blame it on the TEACHINGS of a prophet, if those teachings directly rebuke the twisted interpretations and resulting violent actions that the followers choose to inflict upon the world.

That'd be like me saying to my class - Divide number of grams by 1,000 to find number of kilograms. And then all the students decided to multiply. And then everyone said: that wrong result is the teacher's fault.
(Simplistic, I know - but you get my point)

You know Joe - I hate organized religion as much as you do - and especially outside of churches or mosques or synagogues - but I know that these people did not have Allah in their hearts when they did this to this woman. I just KNOW it (and I have faith in my own intuition- YES I DO!- whether it's rational or logical to do so).

Snood - I think using organized religion as a means to terrorize people is blaphemous.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:06 am
<edited>
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:10 pm
Quote:
I think using organized religion as a means to terrorize people is blaphemous.

Joe(amen)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 08:07 pm
I think that nothing is blasphemous to whom nothing is sacred.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 08:38 pm
isn't that what being a good christian is about? being persecuted for your beliefs so you end up in heaven?

If you're a muslim you kill the infidels to assure a place in heaven. If you're a christian you let the infidels persecute you and kill you and you're assured a place in heaven. Meanwhile even if you're a good person who lives his life according to the GENUINE principles of your faith it's absolutely no guarantee you'll have a good life AND you're to thank God for all your tribulations..... and then maybe you get to heaven.

All I can say is that this heaven better be one great place.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 08:41 pm
Hell's gonna be a lot more fun, Bear.... Cool

RH
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 01:22 am
bear wrote:
If you're a muslim you kill the infidels to assure a place in heaven. If you're a christian you let the infidels persecute you and kill you and you're assured a place in heaven.

Hmm... And muslims and christians believe in the same god. So they'll end up in the same heaven. Kind of gives us a good pointer of what it must be like up there.

Christians get to die for their cause, and muslims get to kill them, over and over again... Sounds worse than this place.. Confused

If hell is reserved for all those who don't believe it's sure to be a much more realaxed place. Never mind the flames. All those who are there don't believe in them anyway. And after all, infidels and martyrs are the real pain. :wink:
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:00 am
snood wrote:
I think that nothing is blasphemous to whom nothing is sacred.

I think you are right about this, snood, and aidan is right too. And I think both of you are talking about the people who use religion to terrorize people and not about people like me who, despite what Aidan said about everyone worshipping something, don't.

Joe(what did Dylan sing? I forget.)Nation
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:39 am
Peter McKay in the Mail "Sudanese spokesman in London Dr Khalid Al Mubarak says a lesson can be learned from the case of teacher Gillian Gibbons, jailed in Khartoum - where raging mobs threatened to kill her - for allowing her seven year old pupils to name the class teddy bear Mohammed.
Al Mubarak, who seems amused by the fuss, says "Anybody going abroad should learn about culture and orientation before taking any job"
Of course! Why didn't we think of it? Perhaps we could go further. Why not insist on Sudanese visitors here enjoying the quality of justice available in their native land?
So, twenty lashes for Dr Al Mubarak for dishonouring a decent Briton's attempt to help the children of his poor, violent, backward and dusty geographical cul de sac. "

The language may be a bit inflammatory, but I think that maybe he makes an interesting observation.
0 Replies