Could You Continue to Live There?

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 12:38 pm
From the editorial:

Quote:

The next day after school, Megan asked her mother -- Tina Meier restricted Megan's online access -- to log on the computer so Megan could check for new messages. What she found horrified her. Josh was still sending mean notes. And he had apparently been sharing her messages with others. Now the online community was abuzz with invective. Megan was fat. Megan was a slut.

Megan was destroyed. Especially after one last hateful message from Josh. You're a bad person, he said. Everybody hates you. The world would be better without you.

Question:

How is it that the impressions and thoughts in Megan's mind about her attraction to this Evans guy are known? Who were they known by and why wasn't that person also aware of the emotional turmoil when things turned negative?

Also, has any follow through been done to investigate the origins of all those other emails about her being mean and fat? Are they just as culpable for piling on? If not, why not? What makes it different?

Has there been any mention of these questions in the story elsewhere? I haven't been following it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 01:01 pm
I think I would stay in the neighborhood and go out of my way to show my face in public as often as possible. And whenever I saw them I would just look at them. Maybe, just maybe, they'd be ashamed of what they did. I wouldn't harass them, just make them (and probably everyone else around) perpetually uncomfortable by my mere presence.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 01:04 pm
Parents of the girl need to go out on amazon.com or possibly paladinpress.com and start doing searches on "george hayduke"....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 09:59 am
Interesting - to me - article on this whole episode in a recent New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/01/21/080121fa_fact_collins
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:03 am
Thanks, osso, I thought of this thread when I read the article but never got around to doing anything about it.

Terrifying, terrifying article. I don't know what I'm going to do about sozlet and internet usage as she gets older.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:15 am
It's even a cautionary for grown-ups to grown-ups, in my opinion. Like here on a2k - though we have teens too. People can be hurt by posts in a time of vulnerability. Not that I'm without fault on that.. just saying.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:32 pm
thanks osso although not sure I'll read it. Just too disgusting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:58 pm
Well, the article gave more background and humanized the people and circumstances. Not that I'm not appalled, but the complexity filled in the picture somewhat.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:33 pm
While what was done to her was reprehensible, nobody could have predicted she would have ended her life over it. Even at that awful age of 13, we are responsible for what we do.

What I want to know is why her parents didn't notice what was going on... are they totally oblivious to a depressed, unhappy, upset teen? Why didn't they snoop on her computer? Etc etc etc

You can't blame others for what you do, and I know she was only 13...just saying.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:36 pm
Uh, that's in the article.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 05:03 pm
An interesting follow-up on this story:

Quote:
Click Here for Justice?Cont'd
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 05:56 pm
Mame wrote:
While what was done to her was reprehensible, nobody could have predicted she would have ended her life over it. Even at that awful age of 13, we are responsible for what we do.

Unwritten rule: Adults don't f**k over 13 year old kids.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 06:01 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
You are answering your own questions, eoe. You could not live in that neighborhood and you would be incapable of extracting revenge so you would have to move and let the passage of time heal the wounds.

We all handle things differently. I would stick with my original plan and kill the bitch.

your my hero. someone with huevos!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 06:08 pm
Big ones!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 02:28 pm
Another follow-up on this story:

Quote:

Mom indicted in MySpace suicide case
Computer charges against woman whose daughter feuded with victim

LOS ANGELES - A Los Angeles federal grand jury indicted a Missouri woman on Thursday over an alleged role in a MySpace online hoax played on a 13-year-old girl who committed suicide.

Lori Drew of suburban St. Louis was indicted on one count of conspiracy and three counts of accessing protected computers without authorization to obtain information to inflict emotional distress.

Drew allegedly helped create a false-identity MySpace account to contact neighbor Megan Meier who thought she was chatting with a 16-year-old boy named Josh Evans.

Meier hanged herself in October 2006 after receiving cruel messages, including one stating the world would be better off without her.

Drew, 49, has denied creating the account and sending messages to Megan.

MySpace is based in Beverly Hills. The indictment noted that MySpace computer servers are located in Los Angeles County.

Because of juvenile privacy rules, the U.S. attorney's office said, the indictment refers to the girl as M.T.M.

Each count in the indictment carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison.

Last month, an employee of Drew, 19-year-old Ashley Grills, told ABC's "Good Morning America" she created the false MySpace profile but Drew wrote some of the messages to Megan.

Grills also claimed Drew suggested talking to Megan via the Internet to find out what Megan was saying about Drew's daughter, who was a former friend of Megan's.

Grills said she wrote the message to Megan about the world being a better place without her, which was supposed to end the online relationship with "Josh" because Grills felt the joke had gone too far.

"I was trying to get her angry so she would leave him alone and I could get rid of the whole MySpace," Grills told the morning show.

Megan's death was investigated by Missouri authorities, but no state charges were filed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24652422
0 Replies