Wildlife Refuges Generate $1.7B Economy

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 02:08 pm
Wildlife Refuges Generate $1.7 B Economy

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: November 27, 2007
Filed at 2:52 p.m. ET

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Wildlife-Refuges.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- National wildlife refuges more than make up for their cost to taxpayers by returning about $4 in economic activity for every $1 the government spends, according to a federal study released Tuesday.

Overall, the refuges drew some 35 million hunters, anglers, birders and other visitors in 2006, supporting about 27,000 jobs, the study found.

Advocates of the system pounced on the results as evidence that budget cuts under President Bush have been ill-advised.

''Refuges are economic engines in local communities. There's no doubt about it,'' said Desiree Sorenson-Groves, vice president for government affairs at the National Wildlife Refuge Association. ''The budget cuts have an impact .... You have people who are going to refuges and there's no staff, or a wildlife drive is closed because it can't be maintained.''

Under an ongoing restructuring, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is planning to cut 565 jobs from refuges by 2009 -- a 20 percent reduction. The plan would leave more than 200 refuges unstaffed.

Tuesday's report, issued by Fish and Wildlife economists, said the areas created some $1.7 billion in economic activity and $185 million in tax revenues.

Fishing and hunting accounted for almost 20 percent of the economic activity. The Southeast region drew the most visitors -- 9.4 million.

The more popular refuges boasted far greater economic returns, the report said. The Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge in Virginia created about $155 in economic activity for every $1 in federal spending. The Don Edwards San Francisco refuge returned almost $44, while the Bombay Hook refuge in Delaware returned $23.

The national system encompasses 548 refuges and more than 96 million acres in all 50 states.

The refuge budget grew rapidly after Congress passed a landmark improvement bill in 1997. With new land acquisitions and a clearer mandate, the system's funding jumped from $178 million in 1997 to $391 million in 2004.

Recent years have seen stagnant or declining budgets, even as refuge officials say they need $15 million increases just to keep pace with inflation, and a much larger amount to chip away at an estimated $2.5 billion backlog for maintenance and operations.

Fish and Wildlife Director Dale Hall said the budget challenges are ''fairly significant'' and that ''we'd be naive to think that we wouldn't lose some visitation'' as a result of eliminating staff and restricting access in some areas.

He said the agency would do its best to explain to decision-makers ''that we get a tremendous return on the taxpayer's dollar.''

^------

On the Net:

National Wildlife Refuge System: http://www.fws.gov/refuges/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 963 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 02:51 pm
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2951913#2951913
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 03:09 pm
Re: Wildlife Refuges Generate $1.7B Economy
cjhsa wrote:
Fishing and hunting accounted for almost 20 percent of the economic activity

so more than 80% of the economic activity comes from other sources? I wouldn't have expected that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 03:31 pm
ehBeth wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Fishing and hunting accounted for almost 20 percent of the economic activity

so more than 80% of the economic activity comes from other sources? I wouldn't have expected that.

Well, considering that huge chunk of those revenues came from California, which is full of fruits and nuts and tourists, not hunters and fisherman (unless you know where to look), it's not that surprising.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 03:39 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Well, considering that huge chunk of those revenues came from California, which is full of fruits and nuts and tourists, not hunters and fisherman (unless you know where to look), it's not that surprising.

Interesting conclusion. But perhaps you should read the source you quoted?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 06:18 pm
Quote:
Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge

INTRODUCTORY PAGE
----------------------------

"Wild beasts and birds
are by right not the property merely
of the people who are alive today,
but the property of unknown generations,
whose belongings we have no right
to squander." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
The Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge in Virginia created about $155 in economic activity for every $1 in federal spending.

seems that CHINCOTEAGUE is one of the most successfull NWR's .
i am sure there is a bit of hunting going on - though most of the four-legged animals are the PONIES and i didn't hear of any PONY HUNTING .

there are also some surf-fishers .

however , the biggest revenue seems to come from the BIRDWATCHERS Shocked :wink: , that come from all over the world to watch the birds migrating in the spring and fall - they are mostly armed with binoculars and cameras Laughing

certainly enjoyed visiting there a few times in the fall .
hbg

link :
CHINCOTEAGUE

ARMED BIRDWATCHERS
http://www.virginia.org/images/DickCrossWildlife.jpg

THE ANNUAL PONYSWIM - quite a spectacular sight
http://www.watersidemotorinn.com/Images/ponies%20in%20water.JPG
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 06:26 pm
The hamburgers and I have definitely contributed to the economy in the Chincoteague/Assateague area.

binoculars, birding scopes, lots of cameras and occasionally some off-roading allowed on one of the spits

It's the only place I've ever understood why a place had to be posted with "No Public Nudity".
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 08:41 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Interesting conclusion. But perhaps you should read the source you quoted?

It never ceases to amaze me at how poor you are at reading statistics and charts. Simply because the place in Virginia had a higher rate of return doesn't have anything to do with the total contribution, which the article doesn't address. Knowing what I know about California and Virginia, like the fact that CA is the world's 6th or 7th largest economy and Virginia is... well... Virginia, I made an educated guess that California's refuges contribute more to the grand total.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:22 am
cjhsa wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me at how poor you are at reading statistics and charts. Simply because the place in Virginia had a higher rate of return doesn't have anything to do with the total contribution, which the article doesn't address. Knowing what I know about California and Virginia, like the fact that CA is the world's 6th or 7th largest economy and Virginia is... well... Virginia, I made an educated guess that California's refuges contribute more to the grand total.

And it always amazes me how you summarize 382 pages in one wrong argument.

Oh, speaking about education: according to The World Factbook published by the CIA, if California were an independent nation, it would have the tenth largest economy in the world.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:43 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

And it always amazes me how you summarize 382 pages in one wrong argument.

Oh, speaking about education: according to The World Factbook published by the CIA, if California were an independent nation, it would have the tenth largest economy in the world.

It's was the sixth for a long time - then it dropped behind France....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:51 am
cjhsa wrote:
It's was the sixth for a long time - then it dropped behind France....

The rankings are (accorcing to the CIA factbook 2007, data from 2005)

1. the combined United States
2. China
3. Japan
4. India
5.Germany
6. United Kingdom
7. France
8. Italy
9. Russia
10. California
Brazil
Canada
Mexico
Spain
South Korea
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:56 am
Cool. Where is Virginia on that list?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:59 am
Also depends on the source of the list.

California Legislative Analyst's Office
According to the California Legislative Analyst's Office, if California were an independent nation, it would have had the eighth largest economy in the world.

the combined United States
Japan
Germany
P R China
United Kingdom
France
Italy
California
Spain
Canada
(2005 data)

California Department of Finance
According to the California Department of Finance, if California were an independent nation, it would have had the seventh largest economy in the world.

the combined United States
Japan
Germany
United Kingdom
France
Italy
California
China (excluding Hong Kong)
Spain
Canada
Mexico
Korea
India
Australia
Netherlands
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:35 am
cjhsa wrote:
Also depends on the source of the list.

Right. I would prefer the Californian sources, too. You never can trust the CIA!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 12:26 pm
Quote:
You never can trust the CIA!
Shocked Laughing

i still like chincoteague , particularly the BIRDWATCHERS who shoot with their cameras . :wink:

http://www.birdlife.org/images/sized/400/birdwatchers_200.jpg.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 02:08 pm
Trust me, all hunters are birdwatchers. Those that just look at the birdies are missing out on the bigger picture.
0 Replies