"Dear penis, you're a mountain" - Croatian anthem reinvented

nimh

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:06 pm
Quote:
Anthem gaffe 'lifted Croatia'

BBC News
23 November 2007

Croatia rose to the occasion in their crucial Euro 2008 defeat of England - after an apparent X-rated gaffe by an English opera singer at Wembley.

Tony Henry belted out a version of the Croat anthem before the 80,000 crowd, but made a blunder at the end.

He should have sung 'Mila kuda si planina' (which roughly means 'You know my dear how we love your mountains').

But he instead sang 'Mila kura si planina' which can be interpreted as 'My dear, my penis is a mountain'.

(A blog commenter notes: "Mila kuda si planina" means "You (Croatia) are dear to us where you are mountainous." The preceding line is "You (Croatia) are dear to us where you are a flat plain." [But] "Mila kurac si planina" would render closer to "Dear penis, you're a mountain.")

Quote:
Now Henry could be one of the few Englishmen at the Euro 2008 finals in Austria and Switzerland as Croatian fans adopt him as a lucky omen.

They believe his mistake relaxed their chuckling players, who scored an early goal in the 3-2 win that put Croatia top of the group and knocked out England.

Replay: Croatia anthem singer's mistake

The singer, who hails from St Albans in Hertfordshire but now lives in Inverness, Scotland, has performed at stadiums around the world.

He was once known as the Voice of Arsenal after Gunners fans were impressed with his rendition of Abide with Me before the FA Cup final in 2003 at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. [..]

"I can't even defend myself at the end of the day [..]," he told BBC Radio 5 Live. "Coming to Wembley and the stadium, it must have got to me, is all I can say.

"It was the last thing that I would intentionally do, and all I can say is if I have offended any Croatians, then they have my deepest apologies."

On the contrary, Henry is becoming a cult hero in Croatia [..].

BBC TV presenter Adrian Chiles, whose mother is Croatian, acknowledged the language could pose problems.

"As a speaker of poor Croatian, I have a proud record of getting things calamitously wrong," said the Match of the Day 2 host.

"My personal best was telling a campsite owner that I had a small rat (mali stakor) rather than small tent (mali shator). However, Tony's put all my lifetime's efforts into the shade now."

Zeljka Tomljenovic, secretary of the British-Croatian Society, added: "I don't envy the guy at all because the pronunciation is so difficult.

"He had a big challenge, to sing the national anthem in a language he knows, I assume, nothing about."

Henry's agent Douglas Gillespie said it was a genuine mistake, but admitted the publicity could boost his career. [..]

"There were 80,000 people in the crowd and millions of people watching. It was just the pressure of the moment.

"He did sing it very well and made a very, very small mistake for someone doing his best and singing in a language that is alien to him. If you've ever tried to speak Croatian, it's very difficult.

"The Croatians think it's great, and they've invited him to come over and sing at Euro 2008, and asked if he will be their mascot."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,646 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:23 pm
I am now reminded of that song from The Sound of Music: Climb Every Mountain:

Quote:
Climb every mountain, search high and low
Follow every by way, every path you know
Climb every mountain, ford every stream
Follow every rainbow, till you find your dream
A dream that will need, all the love you can give
Everyday of your life, for as long as you live
Follow every rainbow, till you find your... dream...

Or, in Croatian --

Climb every penis, search high and low
Follow every by way, every path you know
Climb every penis, ford every stream
Follow every rainbow, till you find your... dream...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 04:55 pm
Razz
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 05:11 pm
Jespah, you need to get out more.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 05:42 pm
I'll tell my husband.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 07:00 pm
You're on it tonight. What was lunch, Jes? Laughing
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:00 am
Mountain men love mountin women.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 05:27 am
Rockhead wrote:
You're on it tonight. What was lunch, Jes? Laughing

Black bean soup, an apple and a handful of mixed nuts, plus pear-flavored tea.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 12:06 pm
I knew most of the cast of a community theater production of "Sound of Music". They referred to "The Sound of Mucus".

Jespah's parody is mild.
0 Replies