Ding Dong The Witches Are Dead! (Well, in prison, at least!)

margo

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 11:59 am
They let 'em out!!!!!!
We're all losers now (except those women in the nick who had to attend the bloody Hanson exercise classes!)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 12:37 pm
I, for one, am a non-Australian who knew who Pauline Hanson is. A very dangerous person.

I once read that psychollogically extremist groups thrive when they are the attackers, not when they are the "victims".

And, while the news of her release is bad news, her "victimization" won't help her rotten cause.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 02:30 pm
I sooooooooooooo hope so!

But their appeal is to idiots.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 02:52 pm
Quote:
Folks, I see where you're coming from but the idea is really not to shoot the politicians. The idea is that PSYCHOLOGICALLY, the government views an armed country with heightened respect. There are some v e r y nasty people who get into politics and some would like never to leave office.

I'd like to apologize to everyone who read my recent posts about the people living in the Middle East having a 13th Century culture. Here quoted above is an a perfect example of that same kind of thinking but apparently it comes from someone in Ohio, so I guess backwardsness can occur anywhere. My other favorite part was when he said Stalin might not have been able to control the USSR if the peasants (the people) had had their own guns, presumably shotguns and carbines. Well. Yes, I'm sure that would have given the RED ARMY a great deal of pause, but nevertheless ol' Joe (no relation) just might have been able to deal with them as well as he had dealt with the whole of Eastern Europe after the war.

Okay, back to the topic.

Joe
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 03:09 pm
margo wrote:
They let 'em out!!!!!!
We're all losers now (except those women in the nick who had to attend the bloody Hanson exercise classes!)

Hmmmmmmmmmm - they HAD to?

I did not even know she ran 'em.

And, goddess save us, she has discovered the plight of women in prison - as if they didna have enough to deal with already.

The judicial system got a big slap here in South Australia, too, yesterday.

A suspended sentence which the GOVERNMENT forced the Department of Public Prosecutions to appeal against was quashed - and the guy will be re-sentenced - probably to prison.

The Director of the DPP - who did the plea bargain deal which led to the light sentence - isn't looking good.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 07:17 am
margo wrote:
They let 'em out!!!!!!

We're all losers anyway Margo. The current liberal government got elected using her policies. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 07:51 am
Not ALL of them - but way too many at that .....
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 07:44 pm
People should travel more and read less tabloid newspapers
Razz Confused Grottomaster: Nothing justifies rape, particularly not crimes which are considerably less severe than rape itself.

People are people, and deserve respect and freedom from torture. Who are you to determine who should have their basic human rights respected? Have you ever drank alcohol or had sex outside of wedlock? If you have,
many people may interpret your actions as deserving life imprisonment or death. Homosexuality still is considered an offence punishable by life imprisonment in many different countries.

Morality is culturally determined. I assume you belong to a culture where it is considered oppressive for a woman to, for the sake of modesty, to cover herself entirely, but at the same time considers it entirely acceptable for a woman to go under the cosmetic surgeon's scalpel and , as such, aren't going to waste anymore time trying to convince you of this.

Your comments are not only extremely offensive and specious, but also reflect the type of (il)logic which is helps perpetuate the racism in Australia. I have heard someone (sincerely) justify ignoring the rape of children in a refugee camp by saying that they shouldn't be here and probably lived in worse conditions in their country of birth. That the child is unimportant and a criminal because his or her parents wanted a better life for him or her. The same person would be outraged if there was a paedophile in their community.

Confused Pauline Hansen was an ignorant and dangerous woman, but her popularity (for a brief time) highlights many different social problems in Australia.

Her election demonstrates, in part, many people's dissatisfaction with the current government. Many people in country areas feel that their opinions and needs are not being addressed. I know many people who supported her (including a man of Aboriginal descent). It is unreasonable to expect everybody, including people with limited formal education, to concur with the opinions of intellectuals.

Sad Also, it is often quite difficult to see any real improvement in the lives of Aboriginals. Premature death and poverty are still extremely common, with a host of other problems. It is often difficult for the government to intervene and remain culturally sensitive.

For a country as "multicultural" as Australia, it is surprising how isolated different racial groups are.

Racism and many other forms of discrimination are serious problems in Australia (it is not uncommon for openly gay couples to get beaten up in my area), not only amongst European Australians, but many other cultural groups. However, over time , as people forget past grievances and become more familiar with other groups, this will lessen. Perhaps patience is the only solution. I don't think there is a "magic pill" that could solve these problems overnight.

Ok, I'll give it a rest now. Please forgive any inconsistencies and pointless rambling in this post. In the last three days, I've had four hours sleep. From the beginning, the only reason anybody paid any attention to that crazy twit Pauline Hanson was because of all the media exposure she recieved. :wink: If the media hadn't paid so much attention to her, she'd still just be a half-mad fish and chip store owner giving her non-European Australian customers funny little looks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 09:43 am
yeah - the media helped the Hanson bandwagon, but I think we have to blame the people who actually voted for her for their choices. She was blatantly racist, for instance. She tapped into the fears and frustrations of Oz's dark underbelly and it is a nasty place down there - where people want to lay xenophobic blame for their ills.
0 Replies