Your Prayersand/or thoughts on this Thanksgiving

Swimpy

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 10:28 am
I have a request. You don't know this little guy, but his name is Tadhg (pronounced tige) and he needs all the support he can get. He was born on October 12, 2007. He seemed strong and healthy at birth, weighing in at 7 lbs. 4 oz. and 22 inches long. A few hours later there were signs that he was not doing well. He was turning slightly blue.

Many stressful hours later, it was determined that he had a heart defect called hyperplastic right ventriclle syndrome. Basically, he was born with only one heart ventricle. He was put on medication that would keep a prenatal opening clear to allow his left ventricle to compensate for the underdeveloped right ventricle as it does in the womb. 6 days later he underwent surgery that would make that opening permanent. He would still need two more surgeries over the next 4 years to rebuild his heart.

He was doing pretty well for a while after surgery, but he had several major relapses that have made it clear that the surgery was not successful. The only option is a heart transplant. He is now just shy of six weeks old and on life support at the University of Iowa Children's Hospital awaiting a heart.

His parents are the most special people. He has a delightful big sister. They are holding up amazingly well. I've seen the healing power of the A2K community in action. Please focus all of your energy to give littel Tadhg the strength he needs to hold on.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 10,696 • Replies: 218
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 10:38 am
I'll be thinking of Tadhg today. (What an interesting name...)
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 10:50 am
My prayers and thoughts go out to Tadhg and family.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:21 am
Focusing in Toronto.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 12:06 pm
Swimpy--

He'll be in my thoughts.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:02 pm
Thanks, soz, joeblow, marty and Noddy.

soz, his name is Gaelic. Dad's family is Irish.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:09 pm
Oh, man. Sending positive thoughts to University of Iowa hospital for the little fella.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:11 pm
Warm thoughts to Tadhg and his family. So sweet and young for such difficulty.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:22 pm
Joining the Thinking about Tadhg circle.

(Iowa. Down and to the left. Got it.)

Hang on Tadhg.
Hang on Tadhg's family.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:24 pm
Terrible. I hope he survives to tell his own children this story.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:33 pm
My thoughts are with little Tadhg and his family.
Today would be a good day for miracles, I keep my fingers crossed.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:38 pm
Thanks, squinney, osso, Beth, edgar and CJ.

I hope I'm not violating her trust, but this is the latest update on little Tadhg's condition. He's been reeling since last weekend, when he had a bad reaction to the dialysis they've been doing to try and get rid of the fluids that are accumilating in his little body. He's quite swollen and now weighs over 11 pounds. Since then the transplant surgeon has put him on hold status. He wasn't stable enough for a transplant.

Anyway this is what Mom sent out this morning. You'll see why I think she's such a special person.

Quote:
Some good news...Tadhg is much skinnier than yesterday. The diaretics are working wonders and he is peeing like crazy.
The heart transplant coordinator and surgeon have agreed that if he has another good day today, they will take him off
"hold status" tomorrow and then he will be waiting for a heart again.

Tadhg has been opening his eyes this morning and looking at us with a very tired look.

Have a good Thanksgiving. We have sooo many things to be thankful for...the great doctors, nurses and support staff at
the U of I hospital, our friends, our family, our health, everyones hopeful thoughts and prayers, the strength of our little boy,
and J's [Tadhg's 2.5 yr old sister] good humor.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 09:51 am
Oooooommmmm.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 07:03 pm
Your oms are working. Tadhg is off hold status and is again a candidate for a new heart. The waiting begins again. Keep those thoughts and prayers coming folks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 07:03 pm
Good going, Tadhg!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 07:12 pm
OK, then.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 08:29 pm
Still hoping and worrying.

Ooooommmm.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 08:42 pm
Don't have a lot of sway with the powers that be, but ....All my thoughts with the little guy....OOOOmmmmmmm.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 08:57 pm
Little Tadhg will certainly be included in my prayers. This is a tough start for such a little one.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 09:55 pm
Thanks, everyone. Keep on doing what you're doing. I'll keep you updated as best I can. I had coffee with mom yesterday. She's holding up pretty well. The transplant doc has been great. He visits Tadhg every day and gives mom and dad encouragement. They have been told that it's a good bet that a heart will be found by Christmas. What a great Christmas present that will be!! OOOOOMMMMM!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Your Prayersand/or thoughts on this Thanksgiving
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:35:59